Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: First Build - Second Post

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    100+ Post Member MikeM670's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Zion, Illinois, United States
    Age
    67
    Posts
    493
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: First Build - Second Post

    Quote Originally Posted by wosborne View Post
    First, thanks everyone for their incite and guidance. Second, this is my first build so go easy. Nah, lay it on me. Houses (02) Whites - 40 gal tall.

    OK, I installed a false bottom as described through out this forum. Next added screen then gravel (2") then coco fiber soil (2") and then moss (3").

    First mistake? Didn't add another screen between the gravel and coco fiber soil.

    Second mistake? Too much moss or should I be using it at all.

    Third mistake? Did not remove the false bottom at the pond area to make it deeper. Right now its about 1/2" deep. No water fall but the water circulates with a pump and enter the pump at the back of the tank and I have it exiting right at the pond in the front. Is this ok?

    Some more questions:
    Do I need a water bowl or is the pond sufficient?
    Can I feed them in the tank or remove them and then feed?
    I have a pad tank heater under the tank to heat the water. Bad move?

    Thanks for all the input, I know its a lot. Again, I am very glad to be here and the advice has be great.

    Sorry about the picture quality - iphone.
    I would like to say that for your first build it looks very nice. I really don't know much about building viv's for tree frogs yet as I have only been keeping darts. As for making mistakes don't get too upset about that. I just tore apart my very first viv because the water feature just did not contain the water properly and it would pump out all the water into the substrate. It worked fine when I tested it for a day without any gravel in the water feature. Unfortunately the way I designed the return was a small 1.5 inch pipe and a screen over the pipe end to keep debris and frogs out of it. The screen did its job but eventually would clog and the water would overflow the pond into the substrate.

    For your false bottom did you use expanded clay balls or the egg crate method? Each has it's pros and cons. The expanded clay gives you a huge surface for beneficial bacteria to grow and help clean the water but can be heavy so the viv is harder to move. The egg crate method allows a much lighter tank which makes it easier to use. I have used both types depending on the build. In either case you need a screen to keep the coco fiber from getting down into the clay balls or under the false bottom. With the clay balls you end up clogging the areas around the balls and it can cause improper water flow back to the pump or a water logged smelly mess. A vivarium's soil area should have a earthy smell to it. With the egg crate you end up with a easy path back to the pump where it can clog things up. Also the same issue can apply about the stinky mess.

    As for moss in a tree frog enclose I really can't say. I use it all the time in my darts setup and it will naturally grow on its own at some point if the conditions are right. Benefits of moss are it really looks nice with that green carpet on the ground or wood, background ect. It also helps keep the humidity higher. For the impaction issues I can't say with zero experience with tree frogs.

    Water should be available for the frogs to soak in. In my case one of my darts spends lots of time jumping around the water area of my tank. Tree frogs do need and like to soak in water that should be clean and not stagnant. So if you have a nice water flow it will be OK. If the water turns a tea color don't worry that is the tannins from the substrate. Its harmless and occurred naturally and in some cases is the type water that tadpoles are raised in.

    Feeding is like Kisa says. Some use a glass bowl to put the crickets in so they can't get out and roam around and other just let the frogs hunt them down. I'm kinda partial to having my frogs hunt down the food. It's what they do in nature.

    Heating pad. Should be OK like that. Just monitor the temperature carefully and see if it fits within the range needed by your frog. My frog room temp ranges between 72 to 74 so I don't need to provide additional heat right now.

    I hope my comments help with your questions.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

    --------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

  2. #2
    100+ Post Member Kisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Southern California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    991
    Blog Entries
    4
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: First Build - Second Post

    Two inches of soil should be deep enough for your plants to take root, that's the depth I have in my tanks.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

  3. #3
    wosborne
    Guest

    Default Re: First Build - Second Post

    2" awesome! Thanks Kisa.

    Mike, the false bottom is egg crate, held up 1/2" off the botttom. Then a screen, then gravel and then soil.

    Tank is 80 deg. now with heat pad.

  4. #4
    100+ Post Member Kisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Southern California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    991
    Blog Entries
    4
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: First Build - Second Post

    Quote Originally Posted by wosborne View Post
    2" awesome! Thanks Kisa.

    Mike, the false bottom is egg crate, held up 1/2" off the botttom. Then a screen, then gravel and then soil.

    Tank is 80 deg. now with heat pad.
    No problem! White's can stand up to a wide range of temperatures, they should be fine at 80-85, when my White's was sick it got into the mid/high 80's in his tank in the day time and he was fine with that. I kept it extra hot to stave off infection.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

  5. #5
    100+ Post Member MikeM670's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Zion, Illinois, United States
    Age
    67
    Posts
    493
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: First Build - Second Post

    If you don't have a water feature that includes a pump you should be ok with that depth. It won't give you much leeway as far as having to remove excess water so the substrate does not sit in water. You will need to watch that. I have been giving mine about 2 inch's or more depending on the build. If you have a hight false bottom you can always adjust the water level in the pond by using gravel or stones to raise up the surface. If you need a deeper pond just remove some stones.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

    --------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

  6. #6
    wosborne
    Guest

    Default Re: First Build - Second Post

    I had spacers cut at 1" - guess I will pull from the trash (if I can find them ) and keep for a later build. I do have 2" off gravel over the egg crate so that gives me some room with the water level.

    Thanks again!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. My first viv build!
    By Grrrit in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: March 5th, 2011, 07:57 PM
  2. First vivarium build,
    By Grrrit in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 16th, 2011, 01:33 AM
  3. The way i build 1 of my vivs
    By wesleybrouwer in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Zoo Med Vivarium Build
    By MikeM670 in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 8th, 2011, 04:16 AM
  5. 55 Gallon Build- Pic Heavy
    By rcteem in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 18th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •