Thread: Small feeders for toadlets? Suggestions welcome!

Default Small feeders for toadlets? Suggestions welcome!

So far all I can figure I can feed a small toadlet is a fruitfly. As well I think springtails, and bean weavils(someone suggested this a long time ago). But I don't think I know how to get springtails..... As for fruitflies they will be a Struck of luck if I find them in stores. I rather NOT order online if anything. Just not a fan of the process. What if I end up needing something ASAP?

I wanna have a culture going by the time the eggs turn to tadpoles and tadpoles to toadlets. which could take like 50-80days in total.

I'd also like to know any insects that are small and COMPLETELY safe to feed to toadlets, that I could FIND locally in NEW JERSEY. I have a few places to look for insects. I just need to know species and care on how to breed them.

BTW guys, guess what? A store where I live actually stocks goliath worms!!!!!!! They may get some in tomorrow!!!!!

------
    Ps. Sorry for making alot of posts. But I guess I'd like to get better informed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Small feeders for toadlets? Suggestions welcome!

there was a great fruitfly culture posted a month or so ago. Just like bannanas yeast and a blender( couple other things mixed in too) try search engine to find. Sorry, I'd find it for you, but would be unable to post a link cuz my phone sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    there was a great fruitfly culture posted a month or so ago. Just like bannanas yeast and a blender( couple other things mixed in too) try search engine to find. Sorry, I'd find it for you, but would be unable to post a link cuz my phone sucks!
    It's okay. It's more of the fact Iam looking as well for other options asides fruitflies.

bshmerlie

I know you don't want to hear this Deku but I have to say fruit flies. PM me your address and ill send you some and you'll see how easy it is. Its practically free food and they reproduce so easily you'll have a million in a month

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I know you don't want to hear this Deku but I have to say fruit flies. PM me your address and ill send you some and you'll see how easy it is. Its practically free food and they reproduce so easily you'll have a million in a month
    Okay. Ill try.

Just the petstores where I go to said they can't carry them. But they're trying.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Hi there.

I dont know about the avialability over the pond but these feeders may be useful. They certainly are about the right size and quite easy to culture:
    • Grain Weevils (Sitophilus granarius)
    • Dwarf tropical woodlice (Trichorhina tomentosa)
    • Whiteworms (Enchytraeus albidus)
    • Lesser waxworms (Achroae grisella)- im sure the toads would take the grubs as well as the adult moths
    Hope this is some use
    0.0.2 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.0.3 Dendrobates azureus
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius "Alanis" (tads)
    3.3.0 Epipedobates anthonyi (+tads!)
    0.0.1 Lepidobatrachus laevis
    0.0.4 Pyllobates terribilis
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta"
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya vanzolini
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

Quote Originally Posted by berksmike View Post
    Hi there.

I dont know about the avialability over the pond but these feeders may be useful. They certainly are about the right size and quite easy to culture:
    • Grain Weevils (Sitophilus granarius)
    • Dwarf tropical woodlice (Trichorhina tomentosa)
    • Whiteworms (Enchytraeus albidus)
    • Lesser waxworms (Achroae grisella)- im sure the toads would take the grubs as well as the adult moths

Hope this is some use
    Yes. I been told of grain weevils. I just didn't know if I should acquire them. ... As messed up as this will sound... and please nobody take any offense to this.
    Apparently grain weevils are easily found by buying uncooked rice from an asian food market. :x I'm pretty sure if I go to china town I can find alot of other feeder stuff too. Since well no offense. But they have a weird delicacy imo. Whiteworms--- I think I'ved seen a FEW in my backyard. But lost them off m y hand as I carried them inside.

Waxworms are preferred over mealworms tbh. I noticed over the years when I fed mealworms to my frogs/toads they never had too much of a taste for it. They prefer feeding on waxworms over mealworms.Even regular waxworm moths(the adults) would gladlly be eaten by baby toads I assume. Since the moths are smaller than the waxworms themselves if it makes sense.

I got some other info I found out personally ill post in a new thread.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Pinhead crickets are pretty tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by badkelpie View Post
    Pinhead crickets are pretty tiny.
    Pinheads are like less than 3days old and after the 3rd day apparently they grow bigger. I can get the ones that are an "instar" or whatever above the pinheads(slightly larger but still small like 1-2mm)

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

If you can get hold of grain weevils they are explosive breeders if you keep them warm enough.
    Whiteworms are equally explosive but they need somewhat cooler conditions which can make them more difficult in the summer months but still worth trying.
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

If you can get hold of grain weevils they are explosive breeders if you keep them warm enough.
    Whiteworms are equally explosive but they need somewhat cooler conditions which can make them more difficult in the summer months but still worth trying.
    how do you get grain weevils? And white worms? We eat rice. infact in our house theres rice but I think its steryle.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Whiteworms are popular among killifish and discus keepers so pretty easy to get - I found this on the ebay USA site:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-WORM-LIVE-...item27b730d026

Not sure about grain weevils tho - maybe put a wanted ad in the classifieds?
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

Whiteworms are popular among killifish and discus keepers so pretty easy to get - I found this on the ebay USA site:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-WORM-LIVE-...item27b730d026

Not sure about grain weevils tho - maybe put a wanted ad in the classifieds?
    Is it possible to attract grain weevils? I may just post this on craigslist. :P lol I think some people would actually wanna get rid of their pests.

Thread Information