Thread: Help with toadlet feeding

Person Who Likes Frogs

Default Help with toadlet feeding

I have 10 Western Spadefoot tadpoles. Three of them have their front legs and have stopped eating the stuff that I am feeding the tadpoles. None of them have come out of the water yet so I am not sure what to offer them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Help with toadlet feeding

Wingless fruit flies are a good first food for most froglets/toadlets.

Wormwood

What are you feeding the tadpoles? Unlike most tadpoles, which are exclusively herbivores , spadefoot tadpoles are omnivores. They also eat dead insects and tadpoles, as well as fairy shrimp.

If they haven't come out of the water yet they'll probally still eat fish food/flakes. Maybe try some small frozen (unfroze) blood worms dropped into the water in pieces, or dead/alive tiny brine shrimp (sea monkies). The last might simulate something they'd find in the wild as fairy shrimp are tiny as well. \

Any pet store should have brine shimp, frozen and usually live. I'd try both.

Person Who Likes Frogs

Thanks, I have been feeding them Omega One freshwater flakes, New Life Spectrum betta pellets, New Life Spectrum .5mm small fish pellets and lettuce that has been copped very fine then boiled for ten minutes then frozen and thawed out before feeding. I have some frozen bloodworms so I'll try that. None of the pet stores near me have live brine shrimp but I can try hatching brine shrimp eggs.

Wormwood

From what I've read they should eat the brine shrimp eggs as well. Good luck!

spencerburgo

Quote Originally Posted by Person Who Likes Frogs View Post
    I have 10 Western Spadefoot tadpoles. Three of them have their front legs and have stopped eating the stuff that I am feeding the tadpoles. None of them have come out of the water yet so I am not sure what to offer them.
    im currently raising some surinam cane toadlets although they are over an inch some of them now, but when i got them they could sit on my baby finger nail, fruit flies micro crickets then i got them on to small calci worms there appetites are amazing good luck with them,

cheers spencer..........

Han

They first will consume their tails and should have easy acces to land
    by crawling straight into a rich springtailcolony i.e.

Person Who Likes Frogs

Thanks for the responses. I decided to let them go because I could not find a place to get a steady supply of small feeder insects. I am going to try to breed my own feeders

Wormwood

*Big Thumbs Up!* Glad you decided to let them go and good luck with playing with breeding little feeders.

spencerburgo

there appetites are ubelievble they have stood me a small fortune in live food bills as i did not breed my own but there now taking dubia nymphs so that has just cut my bill drastically,

cheers spencer..........

Thread Information