Thread: Really fat female red eye?

leesahlynn

Default Really fat female red eye?

Hello all, I'm new here, and I've recently acquired a pair of Red Eyed Tree Frogs!

They were supposed to be two females, but I'm assuming by the loud almost popping sound I hear at night that one is a male. He is also considerably smaller than the female. I've noticed him following her around from the branches and side of the enclosure while she goes down to the water pool or down to hunt crickets.

Anyway, I'm wondering if she's "stealing" all the crickets I put in. I've never seen either of them actually eat a cricket, but they're usually gone within a few days. I'm throwing four medium-large crickets in the enclosure twice a week or so. The humidity stays pretty consistently between 80-90% and the temperature is holding steady in the mid-high 70's. I keep them in a 55gal that's half terrarium half-aquarium, heated with a red light kept on a dimmer.

I'd like to share some pictures and ask you all to give me some advice, if you please. I'm new to frogs (though I've kept reptiles for years and I figured a pair of frogs can't be much harder than my pythons) and I really love these little cuties! They're so interesting to watch!

Thank you all for the advice!

Here's a full view of the tank:

(I have since put in a six inch tall plexiglass divider between the land and water,
    and built up the land around it, so their land area has doubled. I've got four cory
    catfish and ~ten red cherry shrimp in the water. I've also witness Matilda straight
    up diving from the plexiglass into the water then jumping onto the net and climbing
    up, is this normal for her to do?)

This land area is now nearly doubled with the addition of the plexiglass divider.
    The "frog island" is roughly 12-14 inches tall by 8-10 inches wide.

This is Magnus, the male, and yes, that duct tape was temporary,
    I'm using suction cups with j hooks and heavy duty velcro to hold everything up.

A "before" picture of Matilda, the female.

The same day, Matilda, exploring her clam shell bathing pool, changed daily.

This is a picture I took of Matilda tonight.
    She's gotten rather.... hefty.

& just in case anyone was curious, here's one (and a few fins) of the cory cats.

I've got two peppered and two emeralds, I want to also add two albinos.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

wesleybrouwer

Default Re: Really fat female red eye?

You keep them rather moist.
    It might just be the time to start raining on them
    It;s somewhat difficult to see for sure from this picture, but it might be that you're frogs noticed it's spring

leesahlynn

Should I not? I thought they were supposed to be kept at high humidity?

I'm just worried my poor little Magnus isn't getting to his fair share of crickets!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Tree frogs do not require high humidity like darts, ideally Red Eyes should be kept at between 55% and 70% as far as I know. Humidity up into the 80's and 90's is a good opportunity for bacteria to breed and if not maintained could cause your frogs to catch some illness or infection. This isn't a guarantee, it just as the potential.

Also with the water I would be scared of my frogs drowning. Tree frogs, Red Eyes included, aren't very good swimmers. The water level would leave me frightened about finding a drowned frog one morning.

That's just my two cents, but I do agree with Wesley, your frogs could be ushering in the season of love. Maybe the female is trying to fatten up for laying? Haha just a thought. ^ ^

I hope this helped.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

wesleybrouwer

I am not breeding them anymore now since there is coming to much of offspring around here, would be difficult for everybody to sell them all.
    To keep them from breeding, I keep them 60-70%.
    For breeding you can raise humidity to 80-90%.
    Like kisa says, high humidity to long might pose a problem due to bacterias and fungi.

The waterpool isn't all of a problem, a healthy frog will get out, 90% of the time a drowned frog already was sick and got in the water for relief.

In this case I think you can try breeding them.
    You're male is calling and you're female ate more then usual.
    She might be or almost will be gravitate with eggs.
    Just feed some more and if you feel like you're female is heavy with eggs, just run a misting or raining system, good chance they will present you with some nice eggs in the morning

leesahlynn

There's pretty much nowhere they could land in the water that they couldn't climb out on something, I have branches and big rocks in there for that reason. I've seen them climbing the net too.

But how interesting, I didn't think they'd mate so easily! I wasn't intending to breed them but if they're already gearing up I might as well give it a try. I've got some researching to do!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Oh ok, sorry about the comments on the water portion of your viv. It looks very nice btw, I was just voicing my concerns. I don't know that much about Red Eyes, but I did want to share what little knowledge I have of tree frogs. If I put a water section in my White's tank...well I fear his weight would sink him. XD;
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information