Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 130 Gallon Tank in need of a serious overhaul -- Suggestions anyone? XD

wesleybrouwer

Default Re: New 130 Gallon Tank in need of a serious overhaul -- Suggestions anyone? XD

Hi Kisa,

the epoxy raisin is completely harmless when hardened,
    It is also used to make things waterproof that need to contain drinking water,
    i can't imagine they would allow that when not 100% save

Here is the link of one viv build using this method,
    there are more out there but this one is really good written step by step.

This is the link in Dutch:
    http://www.hans-paludarium.nl/

And this one is in English
    http://www.hans-paludarium.nl/index-eng.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

JSG

Default Re: New 130 Gallon Tank in need of a serious overhaul -- Suggestions anyone? XD

Brit, you can always re-use the vents on the glass tanks as well...why not?
    If you are worried about lifting the new glass tank out of the old wooden one: first place some broad straps inside of the wooden one and make sure they overhang the sides of the wooden one. (Broad straps like in dog leashes). Then after finishing and letting the new tank set, you can lift the new one out of the old. LOL, just an idea again.
    Don't discard the wooden tank, you van always use it as a "mold" for the next viv!
    And why would the glass be lop-sided if the wooden tank is not?
    I'm just thinking that at one stage or another the wooden tank would warp, rot or something as not only are water a concern for the long run, but heat is another concern.
    Sela...will not say another word and leave it up to your dad and you to come up with a solution. LOL

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    Brit, you can always re-use the vents on the glass tanks as well...why not?
    If you are worried about lifting the new glass tank out of the old wooden one: first place some broad straps inside of the wooden one and make sure they overhang the sides of the wooden one. (Broad straps like in dog leashes). Then after finishing and letting the new tank set, you can lift the new one out of the old. LOL, just an idea again.
    Don't discard the wooden tank, you van always use it as a "mold" for the next viv!
    And why would the glass be lop-sided if the wooden tank is not?
    I'm just thinking that at one stage or another the wooden tank would warp, rot or something as not only are water a concern for the long run, but heat is another concern.
    Sela...will not say another word and leave it up to your dad and you to come up with a solution. LOL
    I like the way you think, Jacques.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Good point...I'll speak to my dad and see. he can get pretty adamant about things sometimes. XD; I'll update this thread on what we decide to do.

One more thing about the old tank, if we didn't get rid of it, we simply have no place to save it unfortunately. D: We have a big living room in our apartment, but honestly one 130 gallon tank basically takes up all the space I do have left for improvisation. XD Having two is just simply not an option, and there is absolutely no room in storage or any other room in the house I assure you. That's the only thing with keeping the old tank: we have no where to keep it! XD;

Oh, and quickly, heat won't be a concern against the wood because darts can do room temp, it's the humidity that's the problem. XD;

My ultimate goal is do this as easily and quickly as possible, I don't want to reinvent the wheel, just perfect it. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

JSG

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    Good point...I'll speak to my dad and see. he can get pretty adamant about things sometimes. XD; I'll update this thread on what we decide to do.

One more thing about the old tank, if we didn't get rid of it, we simply have no place to save it unfortunately. D: We have a big living room in our apartment, but honestly one 130 gallon tank basically takes up all the space I do have left for improvisation. XD Having two is just simply not an option, and there is absolutely no room in storage or any other room in the house I assure you. That's the only thing with keeping the old tank: we have no where to keep it! XD;

Oh, and quickly, heat won't be a concern against the wood because darts can do room temp, it's the humidity that's the problem. XD;

My ultimate goal is do this as easily and quickly as possible, I don't want to reinvent the wheel, just perfect it. ^ ^
    LOL, Brit, the "wheel" is an old wooden box, perfecting it means using it as a "mold"!
    Then, don't throw it away, either sell the old tank on Craig's list to help you pay for the plants, pumps, other hardware or the new arrivals! LOL, sorry...did I forget to tell you that I'm an African ans we don't believe in just throwing ANYTHING away? If you don't want to sell it, why not pass it on to someone who needs it as a mold? Paying it forward, maybe?
    Just thinking aloud again. Sorry if I sound like a 7 single that got hooked on one track!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Haha no it's completely fine. I would be cruel if I started a forum asking for advice and then dismissed yours Jaques (I can call you that right!? D.

I think I do want to just stick with using the original tank. My dad and I are both kind of set on the idea, we're going to attach legs to the bottom and make it work fixer-upper style. Besides, I've grown quite attached to this tank, I would be sad to see this bargain go.

Just kidding...but really, thank you for your insight. One of my favorite ideas on this thread. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just bumping this thread for a quick question.

Hypothetically, if I wanted to use this wooden tank for tree frogs instead (specifically White's...>>) Would it be alright to just leave the wood as it is and then GS the **** out of it? I mean, White's don't require high humidity and it wouldn't be very wet in there as I wouldn't be adding a waterfall or pond, just using straight up water bowls. What are the chances of rotting under GS with only 60% humidity?

Thanks,
    Brit
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Grrrit

I would think if its gs'd to no end and the water can't make it to the wood, it would be ok. There is a vivarium forum online, ask on there and see if someone has done it before. Someone with a little experience with it would probably be your best bet.

You might be able to use the laminate stuff for floors on your walls and floor, and silicon the gaps up. I have no knowledge if it is safe though. But an idea you could look into ya know

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grrrit View Post
    I would think if its gs'd to no end and the water can't make it to the wood, it would be ok. There is a vivarium forum online, ask on there and see if someone has done it before. Someone with a little experience with it would probably be your best bet.

You might be able to use the laminate stuff for floors on your walls and floor, and silicon the gaps up. I have no knowledge if it is safe though. But an idea you could look into ya know
    Thanks for the insight Garret. I'll look around for the forum you've mentioned. I'm thinking of siliconing the seams just to be safe before applying the GS.

You've worked with GS before right? How water proof is the stuff exactly? I've never done a background myself before, I was going to use GS on my 10 gallon conversion for the Clowns for June, but if I (hypothetically) wanted to me my White's to the 131 gallon I would think siliconing plexi in would be overkill, yeah?
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Grrrit

I've worked a good amount with the GS. It expands a good amount as well, apply it thin and if you need a bigger lump or what have you apply another layer. Or even get a big piece of cardboard to practice with. Its not much around here $3.27 a can. And a little goes a long Way. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grrrit View Post
    I've worked a good amount with the GS. It expands a good amount as well, apply it thin and if you need a bigger lump or what have you apply another layer. Or even get a big piece of cardboard to practice with. Its not much around here $3.27 a can. And a little goes a long Way. Let me know if you have any more questions!
    Thanks Garret I'll be sure to hit you up if I have any questions. I'm going to be picking up some nice wood pieces (hopefully) at the SCADS meeting on Saturday, I'll be finding out how to arrange and place them so they'll work for the White's and be supported by the GS at the same time.

Do you build your plants directly into the GS or provide pots...? And how does that kind of thing work anyway? What about drainage for the plants? If anyone can give me info on how to plant plants directly into the GS I would be grateful.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Grrrit

Mine are planted into the gs.i drilled holes for drainage.

Oh and be careful when you foam your wood. First time I tried that it basically got swallowed by foam.

bshmerlie

Yeah it expands a lot when you first spray it out and then practically doubles overnight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information