Thread: American Green Tree Frog- do they ever go for swims?

Default American Green Tree Frog- do they ever go for swims?

I've been wondering if American Green Tree Frogs, Hyla cinerea, typically go for swims or soaks in water? I have only had mine for about 3 months but so far no sign of him going in his little corner pool. The tank is planted and humidity is I dunno, in the 80% range according to my cheap hygrometer that I don't really trust. Under the same conditions (different but similar tanks) my Gray Treefrogs take regular dunks in their pools, so I was expecting similar behavior.

Part of this query is mild concern for the frog, part is selfish. The result of the frogs that swim is a pretty clean frog, my H. cinerea always has a few bits of debris/dirt on it. Not a major amount, and it doesn't seem to bother him, but it's unphotogenic. (note the substrate is all covered in moss or magnolia leaves, but he always finds little tidbits to pick up). Also, I wonder why I built him that below ground pool if he's never going to use it. Come to think of it, I've probably only seen him on the ground once or twice, so maybe he needs a little map with directions to the pool. Or maybe an above ground hover-pool. Or maybe he's just too shy to be seen in swimming trunks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: American Green Tree Frog- do they ever go for swims?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    I've been wondering if American Green Tree Frogs, Hyla cinerea, typically go for swims or soaks in water? I have only had mine for about 3 months but so far no sign of him going in his little corner pool. The tank is planted and humidity is I dunno, in the 80% range according to my cheap hygrometer that I don't really trust. Under the same conditions (different but similar tanks) my Gray Treefrogs take regular dunks in their pools, so I was expecting similar behavior.

Part of this query is mild concern for the frog, part is selfish. The result of the frogs that swim is a pretty clean frog, my H. cinerea always has a few bits of debris/dirt on it. Not a major amount, and it doesn't seem to bother him, but it's unphotogenic. (note the substrate is all covered in moss or magnolia leaves, but he always finds little tidbits to pick up). Also, I wonder why I built him that below ground pool if he's never going to use it. Come to think of it, I've probably only seen him on the ground once or twice, so maybe he needs a little map with directions to the pool. Or maybe an above ground hover-pool. Or maybe he's just too shy to be seen in swimming trunks.
    I have three AGTF and have had them for about a year now. They are rarely in their pool. I do, however, sometimes catch them in it late in the night or when i come in my door after leaving them be for a while. It is almost as if they do not want me to catch them in the pool. unlike my Whites, the green tree frogs are rarely seen on the botom of the tank as it is, even while hunting.

Default Re: American Green Tree Frog- do they ever go for swims?

Thanks for the reply. It may just be they don't like to bathe as much as other species.

Thread Information