Thread: New here hello:) -help on substrate

Nationality
    [United States]

Question New here hello:) -help on substrate

I have a pacman frog named, Frank. He was impacted/unhealthy when I got him its been a LONG road but he's(??? Idk if hes a he just guessing) healthy and eating properly and growing now. Ive had him on paper towels, definitely not using coco fiber again not for the fact he was impacted, that was the pet stores fault for not feeding him much. BUT it mildews and smells something horrible even changed weekly . What is the best substrate in you guys opinion besides eco earth/coco fiber? I've heard moss is ok by some but then I've heard it is more likely to be eaten by others. Confused but I think now he's healthy its best to change him from paper towels for his own "happiness", just confused on what to get or if to even change his substrate at all. Not many options besides coco fiber or moss I've seen. Help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kevin1

Default Re: New here hello:) -help on substrate

Hello and Welcome. Please don't use the sphagnum moss many many many frogs have been impacted by it. Your frog is the first frog I've ever heard of being impacted by coco fiber. If you don't want to use that, some organic topsoil should do well.These frogs feel most secure and happy when they are able to burrow into substrate

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks SO much! I am gonna try Hagen Exo Terra Plantation Soil 3-pack and see how it works. I really wasn't trying to blame the coconut fiber, it was the pet stores fault, when i bought him he was on it but either way he was impacted from something which even may have been feeding him to big bugs or he was hungry and eating the substrate he was thin when I bought him.....But regardless of what it was boy did it give him a hard time.
    When I tried to use the coconut fiber it grew mold in a few days and it was just smelly and a mess. I talked to one guy who bred bearded dragons and had beautiful albino pacmans and he used very moist moss and had great luck with it but I was like ehh I dont know I should ask. Hopefully I will have better luck with the soil substrate in the link I posted. I have had him a year and a half and he still isn't very big but has gained weight and looks healthy, just small. do you think his growth was stunted from being so thin when I got him? I am normally a lizard kinda girl, but my boyfriend asked me to buy him bc he felt sorry for him he was so sick looking. Bad idea(I DO NOT normally buy from pet stores, haven't had good luck) but hes ended up better! I have ended up loving the lil guy these frogs are truly awesome/precious little animals. If I weigh him/get a pic and post it do you think you could tell me if he looks normal size? Again thank you.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Getting some mold on your substrate is not that big a deal. Its a normal part of a tank settling in. It will go away unless you really have some imbalance that is causing it. I keep very wet tanks and only had one with a mold issue which was caused by a improper water feature that kept saturating the substrate with standing water.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

6. This member thanks MikeM670 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Really? Like all over half the tank? I thought that might make him sicker

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by Geckogirlemi92 View Post
    Thanks SO much! I am gonna try Hagen Exo Terra Plantation Soil 3-pack and see how it works. I really wasn't trying to blame the coconut fiber, it was the pet stores fault, when i bought him he was on it but either way he was impacted from something which even may have been feeding him to big bugs or he was hungry and eating the substrate he was thin when I bought him.....But regardless of what it was boy did it give him a hard time.
    When I tried to use the coconut fiber it grew mold in a few days and it was just smelly and a mess. I talked to one guy who bred bearded dragons and had beautiful albino pacmans and he used very moist moss and had great luck with it but I was like ehh I dont know I should ask. Hopefully I will have better luck with the soil substrate in the link I posted. I have had him a year and a half and he still isn't very big but has gained weight and looks healthy, just small. do you think his growth was stunted from being so thin when I got him? I am normally a lizard kinda girl, but my boyfriend asked me to buy him bc he felt sorry for him he was so sick looking. Bad idea(I DO NOT normally buy from pet stores, haven't had good luck) but hes ended up better! I have ended up loving the lil guy these frogs are truly awesome/precious little animals. If I weigh him/get a pic and post it do you think you could tell me if he looks normal size? Again thank you.
    Yea the stuff you posted looks good. If you post a few pics of him we can tell you if he's of normal size. Or you could measure him(SVL) and let us know.

9. This member thanks Kevin1 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks I am going to try to get some pics/measurements tonight

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Like Mike said, a little mold may happen and will eventually go away unless its standing water.
    The plantation soil is a really nice substrate.

Should work nicely with your Pacman.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

12. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

He is so very small since I have had him since Aug. 2009. I still have the paper where I bought him from petsmart he looks like hes still a baby though. I have no idea if "hes" male or female but here is the pics oh and that bright light isnt always on just for pics

Kevin1

Let me start off by saying that's a beautiful Cranwelli. Most adults don't have that much green on them. Secondly your frog looks very healthy and appears to be an average size for his species. Not small at all.

15. This member thanks Kevin1 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you SOOOO much, Kevin! You have no idea how much I appreciate it! They told me he was an ornate horned frog. so thats why he is smaller bc he isnt an ornate hes a cranwell's thanks a ton really!

Kevin1

It's no problem. Happy to help you out.

Nationality
    [United States]

Just giving you guys who helped me out an update. Frank is now on the plantation soil which turned out to be coco fiber. Says plantation soil on the label but it feels, and looks just like coco fiber. Anyway he is doing well, enjoying the soil and still eating ok. I was kinda nervous but he seems "happier" already. Thanks again guys.
    Hakuna Matata

Kevin1

That's good to hear. The plantation soil is from the coconut plantations, coco-fiber happens to be a by-product from coconuts.

Baelari

I find that my tank gets a soured smell if I don't uncover it and let the air circulate at least every other day. I usually just take the lid off and mist even if humidity is fine.

artes

When I get mold, I just stir the soil really well so it decomposes and goes away. Seems to work. At least that's my theory, and I AM a blonde, so...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The only mold I have ever had in my tank was from dead crickets that got missed or frog poo that got missed. The substrate itself has never molded and always smells fresh and earthy. I also have a load of plants growing in it, maybe that helps?

Beautiful frog by the way!! Love the colors.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

artes

The plants help. My mold went away when I planted mine!

demeteraurion

Just wondering if I can use some organic soil or humus available at Home Depot or Lowe's or something? I heard that this was a cheaper option to eco earth. Just wondering as I'm cleaning Rupert's tank tomorrow and don't want to go to the pet store.

Thread Information