Can anyone tell me if its legal to keep pcf as a pet in oregon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lnaminneci

Default Re: I need to know

Quote Originally Posted by DoLittle View Post
    Can anyone tell me if its legal to keep pcf as a pet in oregon
    Dolittle,

I did some research for you since I own 4 PCF's myself. My first response would have been yes, you can own these frogs in Oregon. But The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife has changed alot of laws to protect native species. This is a link I found on their website. And according to this it says, It is unlawful "to purchase, sell or exchange or offer to purchase, sell or exchange" treefrogs. Read also below about "capturing" treefrogs, and to do so you would need a permit.

You could also give them a call just to verify.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/species/a...frog_final.pdf

Species Status and Wildlife Laws
    l The Pacific treefrog is native to Oregon and is classified as Nongame Wildlife (OAR 635-044). It is unlawful "to purchase, sell or exchange or offer to purchase, sell or exchange" treefrogs (ORS 498.022). It is also unlawful to move or relocate treefrogs without a permit from ODFW. By the same token, anyone who wants to capture frogs (or their larvae) for educational or scientific purposes must first obtain a Wildlife Scientific Taking Permit from a local ODFW office (ORS 497.298, OAR 635-043).
    Oregon statutes and administrative rules that apply to
    treefrogs are:
    l OAR 635-044: The Pacific treefrog is classified as
    Nongame Wildlife
    l ORS 498.022: It is unlawful to purchase, sell or exchange or offer to purchase, sell or exchange any wildlife
    l ORS 497.298 and OAR 635-043: Any person desiring to take wildlife for educational or scientific purposes must first obtain a Wildlife Scientific Taking Permit from an ODFW office.

~Lesley

DoLittle

Well i am out of luck. nice viv no frogs now. Seems a silly law. we have so many of them here. So the big qwestion is what type of frog do i get now. Im thinking red eyed leaf frog. Thanks for the reply.

Tony

I was told by a ODFW rep that it is legal to take some to keep as pets, but they may not be sold or re-released.

Thread Information