Thread: FBT Viv

Fatman

Default FBT Viv

I have decided to turn one of my empty 10 gallon tanks into a Fire-Bellied Toad vivarium.
    I have a basic idea in my head, but am looking for some input because this will be my first amphibian tank.
    So here is what I've got so far:

This was originally an idea for a 12"x12" tank so it isn't to scale now. Out of a 10 gallon tanks 20" length I will most likely do 8" of water and 12" of land, unless you guys think I should tweak the measurements a little.

Plant-wise I am looking at some sort of live moss, some crypts that will grow well emersed and some sort of broad-leaf plant that will grow well in the damp conditions.

The waterfall will run off of a small hidden pump and will contain a small DIY filter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: FBT Viv

I think that looks good. You said do it yourself filtration? Just remember these guys are kind of messy frogs. They tend to go in and out of the water multiple times a day and it can soil the water. Post some pictures of your build when your done....step by steps are always nice.

Fatman

Awesome, then I'll be starting on this tank soon.
    We used to have these guys at work so I'm not too surprised to hear that they're messy. My filtration system will be something pretty simple, with chemical (carbon) and biological (AC Biomax) filtration. Along with the live plants, I'm hoping that it's enough. Plus I already do water changes 2-3 days a week so I can always throw this tank in the rotation and change out the water a couple times a week if its really needed.

bshmerlie

If you can limit the amount of material they can drag into the water with them that would help you to reduce the amount of water changes you would have to do. If your using a soil as a substrate put sheet moss over it...again in an attempt to limit the amount of dirt in the water. Joshs Frogs sell a good amount of sheet moss real cheap and it looks nice and green. Check it out.

www.joshsfrogs.com

Fatman

Thanks Cheri! Yeah I was planning on using a live moss like Selaginella uncinata, but I actually think I like the look of the sheet moss a little more. I'm hoping that between the crypts and the moss that I won't have too much of an issue with soil getting into the water.

I've decided on a couple plants that I want to use, they are:
    Crypt Parva (in the gravel next to the "creek")
    Green Mondo Grass (the very back coming out of the water)

Duckweed (not sure on it yet, but it would cover the surface of the water)
    Crypt Wendtii (possibility, I've only grow it submerged so I don't know how tall it will get out of water)

But I'm still not sure on what kind of plant I want in the back corner, or what to have growing out of the water and randomly on the land part.
    Any suggestions on a plant that will only have a diameter of 3 or 4 inches and won't grow over 12 inches tall (or can easily be kept trimmed down)? Or a plant that will only grow about 4 inches tall?

bshmerlie

Pothos can grow in the water and on land. Its also easy to trim to whatever size you want. Although pothos does grow very quick...it would be hard to confine.

Fatman

I'll check out the Pothos and see if I can find one I really like. They aren't a group I've looked into much so I'll have to do my research.

O and I realized that I haven't said anything about lighting. It'll either be a 15W 6700K bulb or 2 10W 5800K bulbs. Just depends on what hood I decide to use.

*edit*
    Checking out www.joshsfrogs.com I came across the Black Rabbit's Foot Fern, which I really like. May try that as the larger plant in the corner.

*edit2*
    Anyone know how Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia) would do in a setup like this. Would like to have it growing out of the water over the moss.
    Last edited by Fatman; March 30th, 2011 at 02:40 AM.

Thread Information