Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Informative Thread Contest

bshmerlie

Default Most Informative Thread Contest

OK everyone here it is our first "Most Informative Thread" contest. If you haven't noticed I've been trying to encourage everyone to post threads such as terrarium builds, breeding projects, background desings, etc, etc. So by having a contest I hope some people who are "SHY" will come out and show us what they've done.

HERE ARE THE RULES:
    1. The thread must be informative (of course)
    2. The thread must include details of a step by step project.
    3. It must have pictures or video (we love pictures here on Frog Forum)
    4. It must include materials used, types of plants, etc, etc.
    5. It can be a prior project you've done but it must be updated for contest.
    6. It does not have to be elaborate as everyone has a different experience level.
    7. It does not have to be a 100% finished project as some builds take longer to finish
    and some clutches take longer to raise.
    8. Inform us in the thread that you wish to submit it for the contest.

HERE'S WHAT THE PROJECT CAN BE ABOUT:
    A. Terrarium build
    B. Breeding project
    C. Insect Culturing
    D. Background designs
    E. Rain Chamber design
    F. Misting System
    G. Frog Room build
    H. False bottom design
    I. Water Fall design
    J. Fuax rocks or other terrarium furniture
    K. Lighting systems
    L. Other (I'm sure there is something cool I missed -just ask)

TO SELECT THE WINNER:
    Each mod will select two threads and those names will be tossed into a hat and the winner will be selected at random. This is my effort to encourage all new members to participate because everyone will have a chance to win. The winner will not simply be the person who has the "coolest" tank, the most skill at terrarium desing, or who breeds the most frogs. Every one who puts in the "effort" will have a chance to win. To me its about learning from each other.

THE PRIZE:
    The winner will receive a Mist King Starter Package or a Monsoon misting system which ever one you prefer. The prize will be furnished by yours truly so make me proud and tell all your friends.

THE CONTEST TIME FRAME:
    The contest will run through the end of March. I will allow anyone who has posted a thread since February 1st to participate or simply include updates on your thread if it is older. This should make for an interesting next 60 days. If you have any questions or need clarification on something ...ask away. I'm only human and I'm sure I may have left something out. Good Luck guys and use each other for ideas and make it fun.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Most Informative Thread Contest

Yes! I'll make sure our New Vivarium Collective Building thread gets even better! This is a great contest, and a great idea!!

Socrates

Well it looks like I'll be posting on my terrarium build for my incoming reed frogs very soon.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Well it looks like I'll be posting on my terrarium build for my incoming reed frogs very soon.
    I look forward to seeing yours in progress. What size tank are you going to be using?

Socrates

15 gallon, I'll have a group of 8 reed frogs (deciding if I want to get a group of Hyperolius argus or Heterixalus madagascariensis). For the tank its self. I'm thinking about having a small water pool that has live bamboo growing from it. Then have some live mosses and some sedge/grass plants along the edges of the water area. That's the rough sketch right now.

bshmerlie

I've looked at getting the Argus but I could never find captive bred. Where are you getting yours?

Socrates

I found them CB (both species actually) from a guy who lives downstate of me. He's a good guy and also raises species of Dendrobates as well and some other misc frog species and lizards.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Many thanks to Cheri for doing this. Thank you!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

bshmerlie

Anyone who's working on a project try and post it as you go. We love to see work in progress. Other members can also give you pointers and suggestions. And don't forget the pictures.

11. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

poison beauties

I will submit a detailed build from cut glass to putting the frogs in that can be used as a teaching guide to anyone who needs it though Im not interested in taking on a prize that someone else could use if I were to win.

Michael

bshmerlie

Thanks Michael...I would appreciate it.

bshmerlie

Any new members wanna participate. Show us what you're doing. Doesn't have to be elaborate...just share with us some of the things you're working on... Some of your frog enclosures...etc.

bshmerlie

Bumping

Rocko

I'll submit my white's terrarium build to this, although it plan on updating that thread later this month.

bshmerlie

One month to go everyone.

clownonfire

Well, here's mine: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...rog-forum.html

This thread about the new habitat for the Dendrobates azureus has everything: how to build a clay wall, a drainage layer, what plants to use and how to take care of them. Although it will be a draw, I'm really happy to submit it as it was a community effort! I will also re-write it and post is in a shorter version as a how-to.

Eric

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well I think I'd like to submit mine too, even though I'm totally new to this. I like how this contest works, everyone has a chance! If it's ok, I'll submit my viv build/customization, finished yesterday. XD

Here's the thread: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...viv-build.html
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    Well I think I'd like to submit mine too, even though I'm totally new to this. I like how this contest works, everyone has a chance!
    The point of the contest is to get everyone to share. It does not matter how elaborate or extensive the build or project is. For some this may be their very first build. Getting those members to share may get them more invested in the forum here and hopefully expand the frog community in general. Someday we wont be going to "reptile shows" looking for frogs. The snake people will be going to "Amphibian shows" looking to find a random snake. Frogs are much more fascinating to keep and eventually the world will see it one terrarium at a time.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    The point of the contest is to get everyone to share. It does not matter how elaborate or extensive the build or project is. For some this may be their very first build. Getting those members to share may get them more invested in the forum here and hopefully expand the frog community in general. Someday we wont be going to "reptile shows" looking for frogs. The snake people will be going to "Amphibian shows" looking to find a random snake. Frogs are much more fascinating to keep and eventually the world will see it one terrarium at a time.
    Your posts are always so inspiring Cheri, I'm really glad you started this contest. ^ ^ It's nice to know that even I have a chance at winning, and everyone else who decides to submit their projects, too.

I can't WAIT until there are "amphibian shows" out there and especially some closer to home. It's so hard to find good places to buy and sell healthy, captive bred frogs, especially out here in so cal. I hope one day I'll be able to go to the Anaheim convention center and see some awesome Amphibians. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post

I can't WAIT until there are "amphibian shows" out there...
    It starts with Frog Day...May 14, New York City...the plane is flying out of LAX Thurs night. ..I'll give you a lift ...no excuses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information