• African dwarf frog fungal infection

0 0%
  • African Dwarf frog bacteria infection

0 0%

Thread: URGENT HELP!! for african dwarf frogs

Alejandra

Default URGENT HELP!! for african dwarf frogs

HI
    I really need help with my 2 african dwarf frogs, i can't find veterinarian for my froggies, at pet store places , nobody knows about the cares of tis frogs.

I'm gonna explain my isssue..
    One week ago, i change my two african dwarf frogs, to a new, and bigger tank(1 Gal), I think it was my mistake to change everything (spring water, gravel and the new tank ) at the same time.
    i went to ask for help at some aquarium, and they suggested to add every day 5ml of live bacteria , and 2.5 ml of Amonia Detox once a week. In order to stabilize the water tank .

The big issue now is , my frogs don't want to eat, and one of them are more sick than the other , i notice a swollen blue eyes (i thing infected) and the frog is floating all the time, and i thing is swellin in the abdomen area.

I read at internet that Mar-oxy is a tratment to use for Dropsy, Bloat, fungal and bacterial infection.
    i dont know what to do.

Please i need some advise, i'm desperate
    i dont want to losse them

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: URGENT HELP!! for african dwarf frogs

Hi Alejandra:

Sorry to hear about your frogs

Mar-oxy is an antifungal. When frogs bloat, it is usually caused by a bacterial infection, so you need to use Maracyn II or Maracyn Plus along with a salt bath. Unfortunately, I don't know the dosage requirements for African dwarf frogs. Try cutting the regular dose by one half. The salt bath will relieve the bloating. Use about 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt per quart of water (don't use iodized table salt). The baths should last about 30 minutes a day until the bloating eases. Good luck and hope all goes well.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

3. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Alejandra

Thank you very much for your advise, do you think the swollen eyes are a fungal infection?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandra View Post
    Thank you very much for your advise, do you think the swollen eyes are a fungal infection?
    You're welcome! I really don't know about the eyes. Hopefully, someone with more information will post soon. I don't have much knowledge about African dwarf frog treatments. I keep the larger African clawed frogs and Suriname toads.

emmaleigh

are you testing your water levels for ammonia, pH, nitrite and nitrates? if so, what are your readings? heated or unheated tank??

Maracyn 2 as well as small salt baths are good, and from what I've read, successful treatment for bacteria involved with bloat as tgampper has suggested.

are the eyes in fact blue or more clouded over? I am not familiar with "blue eyes" as a symptom, whereas cloudy eyes being a symptom might mean anything from bacterial infection, to unclean water or water temperature being too high or too low.

fungal infections often show up as sores, either red or white and can be treated with Maroxy Anti-Fungal. I have found this link helpful in distinguishing infections, although it is based on ACF. Xenopus Disease

hope this helps, and best wishes to your froggies!
    EmmaLeigh
    Last edited by emmaleigh; May 8th, 2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: hyperlink not working.

Thread Information