Thread: Pacman getting too much water?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Pacman getting too much water?

Hey guys. My pacman has been in its water bowl for over 24 hours now. It is young, about slightly larger than quarter size, and I have had it for less than a week. I will feed it tomorrow, but I need to know how often to feed my pacman, and how many crickets to feed it per feeding.

I don't want the little guy to become soggy and get warts or whatever happends to pacman who become wet over an extended period of time. I will be removing it tomorrow if it is still there, but it would be great to know for future references.

Thanks guys!

MeTree

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Robbo

Default Re: Pacman getting too much water?

Hi Metree,

I think you are worrying a bit too much about this one. Your frog may just like sitting in his water bowl. Some do, some don't. I think a major mistake some keepers make is interfering with their frogs too much. There are factors that might come into play here such as the substrate being too dry, or as I say he may just like it.

Not trying to be negative as I think its great that you really care so much about your new buddy That being said each time you touch him or move him you cause stress that your frog does not need.

As for feeding, I think the 15 minute rule is pretty spot on. Feed your chosen prey items at a rate of what your frog will consume in 15 minutes. Bare in mind if you have a complicated viv set up the crickets may not walk past the frog over and over until eaten. I would not leave crickets in the viv for more than 24 hours, but again think about how much stress it will cause when you remove them. If the crickets stay in there over an extended period they will get hungry and will probably drown in the water bowl.

Tong feeding is an option. Again think stress. When you remove the frogs viv lid it will cause noise and vibrations that may make the frog (especially young Frogs) want to hide and not feed. Usually aggressive frogs will learn to associate this with food and will eat with vigor.

I see several posts about frogs not feeding. Don't panic if your frog will not tong feed the first time. A method that has worked well for me is to remove the lid and leave the tank open for 15-20 minutes (not front openers!) then with as little fuss as possible try to feed. If your frog does not feed this way do not try to force a response by repeatedly bumping the frog on the head with the food item, this will usually not work and stresses the frog again. I know it's frustrating but put the lid on and try again the next day.

If your temps are good most young Horned frogs will want to eat after a day without food. As for how often, for young frogs I feed every day with an occasional day without. If your frog seems to be losing his appetite then go to every other day.

I hope this helps.

Robbo

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thank you for the information!

I do understand that pacmans can be stressed pretty easily, especially when you touch them, but I'd rather move my pacman than let it harm itself (which I can see it isn't going to with the water, thanks!).

I figure that there is a reason they only live 1-4 years in the wild, can't be too careful.

Robbo

No problem. And you are right, you can't be too careful.
    Your frog looks very cool by the way!
    I guess as an addition to my previous post I should add that I would not let a frog sit in fouled water. They usually get out after doing their business though!

Robbo

Thread Information