Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red-Eyed Tree Frog swollen chin?

Ryan

Default Red-Eyed Tree Frog swollen chin?

Hello all I'm new here and looking for a bit of advice about 2 weeks ago I bought two Red Eyed Tree Frogs, I have them housed in a 20 gallon high tank with coconut substrate and some fake plants. Today when I went to mist the habitat I noticed both of their chins looked swollen like a frog would look when calling but they weren't making noise. I picked one up to see if being moved would make it go away, it didn't. They seem to be healthy otherwise. They were definitely stressed at first but over the past couple of weeks they seem to have settled into their new environment. They are moving regularly at night and seem OK the swollen chin has me a bit worried though. Attached is a picture of what they're looking like right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red-Eyed Tree Frog swollen chin?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hello all I'm new here and looking for a bit of advice about 2 weeks ago I bought two Red Eyed Tree Frogs, I have them housed in a 20 gallon high tank with coconut substrate and some fake plants. Today when I went to mist the habitat I noticed both of their chins looked swollen like a frog would look when calling but they weren't making noise. I picked one up to see if being moved would make it go away, it didn't. They seem to be healthy otherwise. They were definitely stressed at first but over the past couple of weeks they seem to have settled into their new environment. They are moving regularly at night and seem OK the swollen chin has me a bit worried though. Attached is a picture of what they're looking like right now.
    HI Ryan,
    What are you feeding them?
    Are you finding any poop in the viv?
    Pics of the viv might help someone ID a potential issue too.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

4. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Ryan

Right now they're getting small crickets. Unfortunately I didn't use paper towels to see if they're pooping so I don't know I suppose I could change that though. Sorry about the quality of the pics the light just isn't good enough.

Leefrogs

what plants do you have in there? Are they real? If so I need to see them. My WTF swollen up like that from a plant. Also could be impaction, 75 degree water should help. Have you used any sprays, cleaners, or carpet sprinkle stuff? This looks how opal did when she was toxed out. Do you clean the water bowl well atleast once a week? What do u use?

Try spring water for a day. Opals went down right away after a soak and removal of the plant.

7. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Ryan

The plants are fake plastic ones. I used filtered dechlorinated tap water for humidity misting only. I'll give the water a try though thank you for your help. I'll clean the bowl as well I have recently but I will again. I use highly diluted vinegar water for cleaning.

Leefrogs

Ok, fake plants. You've cleaned the bowl with the perfect cleaner-- as vinager evaporates faster than water. Very good! Hmmm, now were down to outside toxins (sprays and etc.) impaction, and possibly droppsy. But with droppsy the whole body kinda puffs up and they're almost paralized. I'd try the bath of warm water(75-80) and don't stress them by taking them out. Do that if this persists. Just warm spring water in comunal bowl. I don't think reds would get that big coco fiber inside them, but I guess it's possible.

My WTF gets air stuck in it's sack after calling sometimes, it takes a while to go away. Could it be they were calling earlier, and you weren't around? Beleive me, they know before u get back in the room. It is mating season.

10. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow yeah the first thing that came to mind was dropsy, but make sure you try the water first and don't jump to any drastic conclusions. Update us after you try the water, I'm hoping that works. Poor little guy.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

12. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

Tony

Looks like a perfectly normal and healthy calling male.

14. This member thanks Tony for this post:

Ryan

Thank you so much everyone, you have been a great help hopefully he was just calling, I have two though and they both have it I suppose they both could be looking for a mate though! I'll try the water tomorrow when I can get to the store for some spring water, I have had reptiles before but these are my first frogs they are just so much less active and different in their needs. I'll let everyone know how everything goes. Thank you again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Thank you so much everyone, you have been a great help hopefully he was just calling, I have two though and they both have it I suppose they both could be looking for a mate though! I'll try the water tomorrow when I can get to the store for some spring water, I have had reptiles before but these are my first frogs they are just so much less active and different in their needs. I'll let everyone know how everything goes. Thank you again.
    Wait...is this frog stuck in this position all the time or is it intermittent? Because if he is frozen in this position I don't think he's calling, but if you see his throat puff up and then go back in, he's calling.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Ryan

I haven't heard either one of them call yet, but when they breathe it does go in a bit and then back out. But it is more distended than normal I would say but I've never had frogs before so I wouldn't know. Here is a picture of him when I first got him as comparison.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He looks perfect in that picture.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I agree with Don, he looks perfectly fine in that picture. I'd say you have nothing to worry about as long as their throat doesn't swell up and stay that way for more than a few seconds or minutes at a time.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Leefrogs

Opals will stay with some air in it all day, after a busy night of croaking.

Ryan

Unfortunately the "swelling" doesn't go back down. They stay that way except for when they breathe it goes in a tiny bit just as it would if were not swollen. They are getting their spring bath right now so hopefully that alleviates the problem. The second picture of Gary I posted was one of him right after I got him, just for comparison to what hes looking like now which is the first picture I posted.

Leefrogs

any change yet Ryan?

Ryan

Unfortunately as of now no. I will continue to soak them to see if that helps. One thing to add as far as strange (or at least strange to me) things that they've been doing lately, sometimes when they are sleeping the eyelids don't close completely, also might be of note is Gary was opening his mouth like he was yawning when I soaked them last. If the problem persists ill be taking them to my local herp vet.

Leefrogs

the soaking should help them poop, so is there any? That way we can say it's not impaction. It shouldve changed by now. Any cleaners being used in the room there in? Anything that stinks up the room is very bad for them. This includes like arm n hammer carpet stuff, room sprays, cleaning products, arisol deoderant.....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The eyelids not closing is fine, they have an inner eye lid that protects the eye while they sleep but also allows them to see their surroundings and check out predators. As far as I know anyway. Here's a pic I found online of one sleeping.

http://travel.mongabay.com/costa_ric..._rica_5850.JPG

That's normal. And for the first few months they may sleep with them open wider, maybe out of paranoia. My WTF slept with one eye open for two weeks after I brought him home.

As for the yawning, could they have been shedding?
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

26. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

Ryan

Well I am happy to report that the "swelling" went down after a couple days, They seem to be doing much better they are eating and I have found some of their poop which is good. Thank you so much everyone for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information