Thread: I have some questions about a new set-up.

frogger87

Default I have some questions about a new set-up.

Ok, so i dont like the substrate i am using right now, because its always getting stuck to my dumpy. What i really wanna do is go with dirt instead of wood chip bedding etc. I want just dirt and some rock so that i can incorporate some real plants and mosses. so can someone give some direction into what type of dirt to use and how best to set it up? thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: I have some questions about a new set-up.

I did both my vivs 2 diffent ways. Nithor is traditional in the sence of using leca layer. Fir that method u cover the botom with Leca balls, then screen or weed barier than your soil. You can use bead a beast or plantation soil and mix in some(1/4) spagham or coco husk. This is to keep soil nice and airated.
    But here's what kermit and lumps cage is like:
    All my plants are in pots, frount left is a bansi pot square
    Middle is a square glass dish and bamboo and striped prayer plants are also in small pots. The prayer us in a votive from Walmart.
    Put those in viv, build drainage layer with rock spagham and stones on top.
    Note these stones are siliconed together in clumps, as this size could be swollowed by frogs. I have the left side almost ground level, and the right ground high enough to cover the two big pots.

In opals 10 gal I tried to do the same, but her humidity would dive every couple hours. It was stable with the big plant I had in there in the first place-- but that umbrella almost killed her. So I had an emergency change. I had some left over charcoal from fish, I dumped it in half the tank, made like a boat shape, covered with screen and planted with plantation soil, and covered with rock. The is basicly a hill. Now my hummidity is good and I just water my plants to get it up.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ginger has given you some great advice.

I use hydro balls and coco fiber bedding (plantation soil and jungle bed) in both of my vivs (one for White's). You get a bag of hydro balls, pour it directly into the bottom of the tank until you have about an inch and a half/two inches. Cover this layer with a thin screen material to keep the bedding from mixing with the balls (you may have to buy this separately, just make sure the screening is fine), then pour the soil over top of this. Once you have this down it will still stick to your dumpy, so what I have done is buy some moss (live or whatever) and put that over top of the soil. After that if it's still sticking you can grab some leaf liter via Josh's Frogs and place that gingerly over top of the moss. The leaves will keep anything from sticking to your frogs bellies and it looks rather pleasing to the eye. Check out my "viv set up/s" album if you want to see what I mean, I've used this message in both of them.

These instructions were given to me by DonLisk, he outlined everything very well and I followed his instructions to a "T", so you have him to thank for the info. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

I love that word gingerly!! Should be spelt Gingerlee!! I told my son all the best words end with Lee, quiety, softly, nicely, etc..

Thanks kisa for more detailed info fir him

I also wanted to say, with kermit and lumps set up--
    Keep in mind this has to be broke down and cleaned every couple months. Moss changed out whenever it starts to look dark(monthly), I flip it over often (once a week)
    Even with opals cage, pick up waste that didn't land in the plants

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow I didn't even notice I put that word in there Ginger! how funny. XD And you're welcome, I know it's hard operating off an iPhone, but you gave him good advice. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information