Thread: Rescued WTF baby not doing so well

pacsack

Default Rescued WTF baby not doing so well

The 2 WTF babies I rescued from petco were starting to look better eating and gaining weight but the smaller of the two has started to deteriorate he hasn't eaten in almost a week now which is really bad considering he didn't have any fat reserves from being in petco, I originally thought it was because the planted vivarium was getting a toxic build up causing stress so I took him out and put him in a small plastic tub so he could easily recognize food and it would have no where to hide, just basic water bowl and moist paper towels. after 2 days of him still not eating in there I thought maybe his stress was from being moved so I tried partially covering the container with a towel that was a day ago and he has still not eaten and I am growing desperate I have even tried honey bathes. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Rescued WTF baby not doing so well

I think you have taken all the right steps so far. Its not easy to suggest what the problem might be with out seeing the frog or the set up of his/her enclosure. I think if he continues not to eat then the next step would be the vet. Good luck .

Leefrogs

I need to see what plants u have in the viv. I almost lost mine beccause of a umbrella plant which is on a few lists of suggested plants for frog vivs. U could try pedialite, mix 1/10 with water. It's got vitamins and may keep him going for a while. Waxworms are quite a tempting treat, if u have thongs (or tweezers) grasp them by the head and they'll swing around making them irresistable. So go to Walmart or your local bait shop, there like 2$ for 2 doz. Walmart will pick through and give u all live ones if they look bad.

pacsack

Despite my best efforts my little Itty passed last night... its a very sad time as he was the first frog I have ever lost..

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am very sorry to hear that your frog passed away. D: It is very likely that whatever ailment he had was stress induced because of the harsh environment he was subjected to at PetCo. Don't feel bad, you did everything you were supposed to do, I promise. D: All you can do now is watch your other frog very closely and see if he starts exhibiting the same symptoms. If he does look like he's starting to deteriorate just as the other frog did, I would strongly recommend you take him to a vet and make sure you stop whatever ailment caused the other one's death before it's too late.

I wish you luck and my condolences for your loss. <3
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

I'm sorry. I think you tried your best

pacsack

Thank you for your comforting words everyone, I really appreciate it. My other little guy is looking ok, he was nice and plump when I got him. Bitty(My surviving WTF) ate 2 supplement dusted wax worms the day I got him home by tong. Since then he has not eaten by tong I don't push it because I'm afraid I will cause him too much stress. I hope that with patients and time he will warm up to the tongs again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pacsack View Post
    Thank you for your comforting words everyone, I really appreciate it. My other little guy is looking ok, he was nice and plump when I got him. Bitty(My surviving Whites Tree Frog) ate 2 supplement dusted wax worms the day I got him home by tong. Since then he has not eaten by tong I don't push it because I'm afraid I will cause him too much stress. I hope that with patients and time he will warm up to the tongs again.
    You're doing everything right, just give the little guy some time and I' sure he'll come around. All frogs are different when they're adjusting. My baby White's ate perfect for the first week after I brought him home, then he went through a phase where he wouldn't even look at a cricket. A few days later he perked up and started eating again and has been ever since. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Geofrog707

I just went to Petco today and saw their store for the first time I think. It seemed like the animals were kept in much better cages than the ones in Petsmart. Although I did see the White's Tree Frogs, and they were by far the ones with the worst habitat in the whole store. They looked HORRIBLE and they were bunched together in a tiny cage where they could basically touch the top and bottom at the same time. The only thing in there was soil and a huge waterbowl. I felt terrible but I couldn't afford another one and I don't know if it would even survive more than a day. I think Petco treats their other reptiles better (especially turtles) than Petsmart, but they need to stay the heck away from amphibians.

pacsack

Quote Originally Posted by Geofrog707 View Post
    I just went to Petco today and saw their store for the first time I think. It seemed like the animals were kept in much better cages than the ones in Petsmart. Although I did see the White's Tree Frogs, and they were by far the ones with the worst habitat in the whole store. They looked HORRIBLE and they were bunched together in a tiny cage where they could basically touch the top and bottom at the same time. The only thing in there was soil and a huge waterbowl. I felt terrible but I couldn't afford another one and I don't know if it would even survive more than a day. I think Petco treats their other reptiles better (especially turtles) than Petsmart, but they need to stay the heck away from amphibians.
    I try to stay away from generalization, the petco nearest to me is absolutely just a giant amphibian/reptile deathcamp. Every animal in there will either be missing an eye, digit or some appendage within the first week of its arrival if the animal even survives long enough to lose one. Whereas the petsmart closet to me is excellent all of the staff there are avid hobbyist just like you and I. I suppose what I am saying is that it all depends on the people working at the respective store. I for one will not ever visit my local petco though because they had the audacity to demand the body of my frog to get my money back.. I had brought poor Itty up to the store as it was just to prove that he was deceased but they wanted to take him from me. It may seem a bit childish on my part but he was not just a specimen in my collection he was Itty and I took great care in trying to nurture him back to health. So needless to say the rude way they went about the whole refund process was a bit of a slap in the face, they assuredly lost my buisness.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow that service sounds horrible.

I have been to bad PetCos and bad Petsmarts, but also good PetCos and good Petsmarts alike. I do try to stay away from generalization, it does depend on employees and the condition and size of the store.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

pacsack

My surviving WTF Bitty doesnt look quite right to me he has remained brown for about 3 days straight now and almost has a bit of a redish pinkish hue. I am concerned that there may be one of the live plants in the viv that is irritating his skin.He has been staying on the ground despite there being plenty of things for him to climb on. I am considering gutting the viv and just throwing in some fake plants but I am concerned about over stressing him since Ive already moved him once. What should I do I am very worried..

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pacsack View Post
    My surviving Whites Tree Frog Bitty doesnt look quite right to me he has remained brown for about 3 days straight now and almost has a bit of a redish pinkish hue. I am concerned that there may be one of the live plants in the viv that is irritating his skin.He has been staying on the ground despite there being plenty of things for him to climb on. I am considering gutting the viv and just throwing in some fake plants but I am concerned about over stressing him since Ive already moved him once. What should I do I am very worried..
    Pictures would help a lot in this situation, if you could get us some pictures of the frog and tank setup, and a list of all the plants you have, the soil you're using, and the temperature and humidity as well as what you're feeding the little guy, what and when, then we may be able to help you decide what you should do.

I'm very sorry you're having a bad experience with these frogs, PetCo is not always reliable, and may have sold you frogs that already had an illness. D:
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

pacsack

Update: I had originally thought something in the viv was irritating him since he was shedding much more than usual and the lethargy had not stopped and being heavily planted the best course of action was a quarantine tank. While handling him I noticed a cough like sound (as much of a cough like sound as a quarter sized frog can make). In addition while making the sound he was making heaving motions and opening his mouth a bit. I did some deep digging and found a post about another WTF whose symptoms fit my little Bitty to the t. LUNG WORMS just the thought of worms in the lungs is revolting so I read up on panacur-c being quite safe went to my vet(A Equine/bovine and small animal vet) he doesn't treat amphibians but id trust the guy treating myself. After a quick weigh in of Bitty he mixed up a small batch of panacur solution and sent me home free of charge, what a great guy. I gave Bitty his first dose as soon as I got home I hope to see improvement this week hopefully. Hopefully his appetite will pick up its hard to monitor his eating habits even in a 10 gallon quarantine tank. Also a quick question, would a pedialite and or honey bath be a good idea or best just to leave him be?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think if you do start a bath you might want to wait a few days, at least until he's settled down for his vet trip. Honey is a natural antibacterial and full of nutrients, so I would go with that because of it's natural healing tendencies. Just make sure the water is sort of warm and that the honey has dissolved all the way before you put him in.

I'm so sorry your other frog is sick, but glad you caught the cause and were able to get the treatment together so quickly. Prevention is the best, but speed is always second. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the little guy, poor thing.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Immortal

I'm sorry for your loss, that is so sad. But you did the best you could and that is what matters <3 .

Thread Information