Thread: Whites Tree Frog having trouble shedding?

AnnetteR

Default Whites Tree Frog having trouble shedding?

Hi all - I bought two whites tree frogs just over a week ago, one of them doesn't appear to have any interest in food and appears to be having trouble shedding. It initially looked like some of the moss hanging out of his mouth but after a closer look it appears to be shed skin, it's been there since yesterday. I have seen him trying to shift it but doesn't look like it's working. Are we able to help him in anyway?
    As for the eating, we have tried hand feeding him and keeping him seperate from the other frog to monitor for a couple of days but still no attempt to eat (we put both a cricket and a waxworm in there). He's only a jeuvenile wtf and does appear to be starting to lose weight - should I take him to the vet, or is it 'normal' for them to go through stages of not eating when shedding?
    If it helps, the tanke is being kept at a temperature of 81/82F during the day and 73/74F at night, with humidity at around 60%. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

AnnetteR

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog having trouble shedding?

Quick update - found on another forum a suggestion to bathe him to see if this loosens the skin. Did this (in 1/2" dechlorinated water) and the visible skin appeared to come off, not sure if there is still some left in his mouth though. He then started barking (first time we've heard him do that), assume it was because he was stressed - any thoughts? Put him back in the tank for now, he seems to still have energy, so hoping it's nothing too bad??

Leefrogs

oh, u did good!! Sorry, I was preoccupied today. Glad u found a solution. if u think he keeps having trouble, u could try using reptisafe water treatment. It stimulates a slime coat appropriate for frogs. Maybe this will resolve a reoccuring situation. Also if u had interuped his shed or if it's too dry, that couldve caused problems. Or just a fluke.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ginger's right you don't have too much to worry about as long as this problem doesn't reoccur and doesn't seem to be causing any problems for him in the future. If you see him start to shed and it looks like he's having trouble you can always just spray him gently with some water (treated would be best) and see if that helps, I spray my White's whenever I see him shedding to make sure he doesn't have any problems.

If he's not eating this could just be apart of his adjustment period. All frogs go through this when they first enter a new home or move, some don't eat, some act erratically, some hide or sleep all day and night. This is normal for about a month when you first bring them home, after that he should adjust.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

AnnetteR

Thats really reassuring, thank you both for replying. Feel like a neurotic mother!! Thanks for your help

Leefrogs

no, it's good when you care. As far as being nerotic--- it's a sign you've caught the frog bug!! U should go to the doctor-- as there no known cure-- and frog withrldraws are HORRIBLE!!! Ha ha

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    no, it's good when you care. As far as being nerotic--- it's a sign you've caught the frog bug!! U should go to the doctor-- as there no known cure-- and frog withrldraws are HORRIBLE!!! Ha ha
    You're telling me! I have four frogs and I'm already planning for 10 more~! I have the vivs and the information and everything, all I need is the cash/time. XD;
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Stardust369

Hi! I realize this post is quite old but I'm having a similar issue. I took my white's Keahi out today for a photo session and noticed she has some brown dry skin on one side of her, behind her leg. Other than that everything seems fine so I'm assuming it's a shedding problem. Here's the best picture I could get of it:
    Name:  DSC_0135.jpg
Views: 2141
Size:  41.8 KB
    I just put her back and sprayed her a little and I'm going to try giving her a warm bath for a few minutes to see if that helps.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas to what this might be if it's not shedding?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Whites Tree Frog having trouble shedding?

It looks to be old skin. A good soak in the water bowel or a misting as they mentioned above will usually do the trick. When it's stuck on and dry, try the soak.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information