Thread: Screen tops vs. fish tank style

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Screen tops vs. fish tank style

I have noticed that we as aquatic frog keepers seem to have started our obsessions in the fish keeping hobby. That seems to have caused us to set up our tanks fish style. I know when I have had turtles and newts in the past I always used screen tops with the light sitting on top. Small holes could be put in the screen to allow air lines, heater cords, and to accomidate canister and hang on back filters. Seems to make since when it comes to keeping animals in their tanks. There are a lot of losses and escapes where aquatic frogs are concerned. Is there any reason to not switch over to screen tops other than just preference?
    I know there are some obvious concerns/differences such as the screen tops do not deter evaportaion or look as nice as a fish aquarium style top. There may also be a concern of the screen top being metal and perhaps some how causing harm to the frogs.
    I guess I am just curious what everyones thought are on this and why you chose what you chose.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Default Re: Screen tops vs. fish tank style

To be honest, I don't think it is a matter of preference, just a matter of what's on hand.

For the tanks I have now, I have variety of setups - -
    * 72 gallon BOW with a glass top cut to fit with a light fixture sitting on top of the glass
    * 30 gallon BOW with a fish tank top fitted to the shape of the tank
    * 10 gallons with mesh tops with light fixtures sitting on top
    * 10 gallons with the fish tank tops with any "ACF escape routes" blocked off.

Sometimes you can get "set ups" for a really good price and they include the fish tank top, and for the most part it is cheaper to just stick with it rather than buy a mesh top and new light fixture.

In my situation at least, it is merely a convenient factor - - If it is close by, it goes on top!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, you are kind of compelled with the BOW front aquariums. I am like you though as I just use what I have. It is odd though. These frogs are just a craft as newts where escape is concerned and I would never have just a fish tank top on a newt set up.
    I am mainly asking because I am going to move the frogs to new digs soon. I have a 25 gallon long sitting around with a fish tank top. In order to use it I will have to seal up some holes in a ghetto-like fashion or keep the water level down a bit. I am probably going to grab 1 or 2 of those 55 gallon set ups they have at Walmart/Petsmart when I head down to the States this summer as the price is way less there and those set ups are a good bang for the buck. Again they have fish tank tops, but being new they will be uncut and cover the whole top properly.
    I am going to run air driven sponge filters though. I can pre cycle them in the sump of my 60 gallon.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

a cheap and discreet way I found to close up any gaps is electrical tape - - do a layer on the outside and inside of the lid. The dark area makes the frog think there is no route of escape there and it blends into the color of the lid (assuming you have a black lid of course).

It also does not leave heavy residue like duct tape

Thread Information