Thread: YAY! My Pacman has arrived at the LFS!! Soon-to-be first amphibian owner!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Talking YAY! My Pacman has arrived at the LFS!! Soon-to-be first amphibian owner!!

YAY! The moment I have been waiting for for 2 months!! The phone call from my favorite LFS saying that the pacman frog I ordered finally arrived!! It came!! It is here!! I am so excited!!

I don't have it yet, but we will probably (if I have anything to do with it) drop by the LFS and pick it up today. I am SO excited!! On the phone, the manager said "cute, little pacman frog, so I am at this point assuming that it is, in fact, a little guy, and I am hoping that it is about Quarter size or less. I assume it may very well be less, because if the breeders breed pacman in the spring, the pacmans would have reciently finished metamorphasis, right?

Anyway, I am so excited! Not looking foward to the possibility that it may not eat for the first week or 2, though. I am wondering, I watched a Youtube video of someone who put a small guppy in their pacman's water bowl. The pacman in the movie was about quarter size, and it was newly added to the tank. It jumped on the fish and ate it up. I know that store bought guppies often have parasites when sold as feeders (or maybe even if they aren't sometimes), but my sister raises guppy fry and she always has plenty "to spare".

I am so excited! If it is a little guy, then can I put him/her in something plastic with paper towls? I do fully plan on getting him/her a 10g tank soon, and if it is a bigger pacman (about 6 months) then I will put it in my "spare" 10g tank and buy a different tank for my fish.

Suggestions? Comments? Tips?

Thanks guys!! I wouldn't have made it this far without you all!!

MeTree,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eel Noob

Default Re: YAY! My Pacman has arrived at the LFS!! Soon-to-be first amphibian owner!!

Small deli cup with paper towel and use a feeding tong. Reason I would do deli cup is so you can monitor how it's eating and pooping before putting it in it's permanent home. For me a frog that learns how to take foods from a feeding tong is just so much easier to feed and less chances of it ingesting cocofibers or woodchips (these guys are not usually the best aimers).

Last year when I got two young pacman frogs and one didn't pooped for almost month even though it was eating fine and when it finally did there was so much wood chips that came out I was surprised it was actually able to passed it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: YAY! My Pacman has arrived at the LFS!! Soon-to-be first amphibian owner!!

Would a deli cup be abit small, even for a baby pacman? My original plan (although feel free to critisize, this doesn't have to be my permanent plan) was to put the little guy in a small tank with paper towls, and to put him/her in a plastic feeding tank when I was ready to feed it. Similar plan when he/she grows, just cocofiber instead of paper towls.

Could I put the little guy in a small plastic tub instead of a deli cup? I am just wondering if there is a difference, and which would be best. I don't want to make it feel crowded.

Were you suggesting that I feed the little guy dead crickets? I am just wondering because I really need to know how to feed it while it is small. I really wish I had some pet-specific tongs, but I don't, and there isn't a well stocked LFS anywhere near here. Is there something that I could get at Walmart that would work for tongs? I don't want anything with a sharp end, because I know they lunge for their food.

Just an update, I will try to get over to the LFS at about 4:00pm, and I will probably (but not certainly) be able to get some pictures up some time between 5pm and 6pm.

I guess I just need tips on feeding and housing young pacmans. I feel silly not doing hardly any research on caring for small pacmans!

Thanks guys!

Eel Noob

For me I guess they feel more secure in a smaller size enclosure but a cricket keeper, 2 1/2g to 5 gallon tank would be fine as well.

I have never used dead or freeze dry crickets, always gut loaded live only. What I do is grab a live cricket with the feeding tong and wiggle it in front of the frog, if frog haven't taken it after a few try, just gently rub the cricket against it's mouth.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the advice! I will see if I can find some tongs or something like that at Walmart.

The pacman is at my house! It is SO cute! I have about 25 crickets, 4-5 of them I already have had for about a week or 2, and the others were just thrown in with the pacman frog purchase for free (my LFS is cool like that)!

It is in a 7QT. Plastic bin that I am about to drill holes in. It isn't a permanent setup, once he is 6 months, I'll put him in a 10g tank. Right now the substrate is cocofiber, but I have no plan on feeding the pacman in the cocofiber setup. They wont randomly shovel it into their mouths, will they? I am about to put a guppy to swim in its water dish.

I am about sure it is a cranwelli. I am not sure what the gender is, but from what I understand, that is diffecult to determine at this stage. Also, is there any way to tell how old he/she is? I think it is slightly bigger than a quarter, but I am not sure.

Here is a pic of the cute little guy!

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to post!

MeTree,

Jestre

Don't have any advice for you, but congratulations on the acquisition! I am still researching before my first purchase. Was going to go the Pyxie route, but lawd the shipping is high

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jestre View Post
    Don't have any advice for you, but congratulations on the acquisition! I am still researching before my first purchase. Was going to go the Pyxie route, but lawd the shipping is high
    Thanks!

My LFS ordered my pacman, otherwise I'd have to find one at Petsmart or pay $60 for pacman + shipping online. I have never seen frog shipping under $40, and I have priced tons of frogs shipping.

Don't give up on frogs, though! My LFS considers me a valueble customer (I have bought tons of fish and fish stuff from them), and they are willing to special order me just about anything I want. I often have to wait while my order is on back-order, but that beats shipping prices! I have also heard reptile conventions are great for finding pacman slightly cheaper then at stores, but you still have to pay shipping.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys, I am worried about my ventilation and humidity control. Do you guys think this is enough holes in the lid for proper ventilation?
    Name:  DSCN3537.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  59.3 KB
    Name:  DSCN3540.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  60.5 KB

Will this be enough ventilation to keep some humidity in and not suffocate the pacman?

Thanks guys!

Thread Information