Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerned about false bottom

itzjezze

Default Concerned about false bottom

Ok so im a bit concerned about my false bottom, I used a windows screen to seperate the coco fiber from the hydroball false bottom. The water level is kept below the screen however at the back of the tank some of the coco fiber has sank down and is sitting in the water level. Also I have a water feature that runs water through the fiber constantly. Will this cause in a rotting or anything that I need to be concerned about? Is this something I need to fix asap?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Concerned about false bottom

The mesh will only help to prevent substrate to fall in your drainage layer. However, it will happen. If you have a circulation pump in the water, you could put a sponge filter between the water and the pump, which will help stop substrate from infiltrating your pump, and prolonging its life. If it's a filter pump, just make sure you remove it occasionally to wash the sponge inside or to replace it.

itzjezze

Ok, ill check out the filters, thanks again! just don't want anything to go wrong once I get the frogs in lol

VicSkimmr

I may just be misunderstanding, but are you saying that you have a water feature that constantly runs through the substrate? Any type of running water needs to be kept out of the substrate at all costs.

itzjezze

Ok I will fix that then when I get home. What is wrong with the water running through the substrate?

VicSkimmr

If it isn't kept separated it will soak the substrate and keep it constantly saturated. It just needs some kind of barrier to keep the water away from the substrate.

itzjezze

Ok, Im goin to get some more hydroballs now lol will fix that when I get home. Just curious, what happens if the substrate soaks in water for too long?

VicSkimmr

I'm not sure, but there aren't many plants that will grow in those conditions. It might be fine :shrug:

Leefrogs

Im not sure but that false bottom is no good for a water feature. Won't the hydro balls eventually leech into water system? For all waterfalls I've seen u have to PVC legs and egg crate, then screen then dirt. Look at Gerrrit's build. U have to separate water and everything else

itzjezze

Ok shoot lol should I really dig up my whole terrarium now to fix the water running through the substrate?

Tony

I would rebuild it, most plants will not do well in a saturated substrate.

itzjezze

The hydroballs are to big to fit through the pumps inlet

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
    I may just be misunderstanding, but are you saying that you have a water feature that constantly runs through the substrate? Any type of running water needs to be kept out of the substrate at all costs.
    Jason, great question. My understanding was that he used "false bottom" when actually referring to a drainage layer.

Jess, a drainage layer is also very easy to build... If you need more help with it, let us know.

itzjezze

Shoot lol im using the wrong terminology, yeah its a drainage layerm used hydroballs. The pump is in the hydroballs and is working. The substrate is saturated in some areas, the rest of it is just reallly moist.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    Im not sure but that false bottom is no good for a water feature. Won't the hydro balls eventually leech into water system? For all waterfalls I've seen u have to PVC legs and egg crate, then screen then dirt. Look at Gerrrit's build. U have to separate water and everything else
    You do not have to have the whole PVC leg and egg crate setup to do a water feature. In fact I don't use them in any of my tanks as I think they are just a big hassle. I want to disclaimer that a little bit...some designs would require the PVC/Egg crate type depending on how elaborate your design is. But for a simple water feature with a typical waterfall the Leca at the bottom is fine. Just make sure the water level does not go above the LECA into the soil. The point of the LECA is to keep the water out of the soil. You water flowing out of our water fall just needs to go into a section that is blocked off or walled off from the soil. Some use large stones, some use bark but there are many other ways to accomplish the same thing. Just keep the water out of the soil. Just clear a section where the water is going to be a mini pond and have the waterfall drain into it. Hope this helps. John shows something similar in his "how to build a dart frog terrarium". If I get a change I will build a thread on setting up a simple waterfall feature in a tank. Nothing elaborate just to show simple way to do it that looks cool. If anyone already has pictues of something like that please post them to help out members who are doing this for the first time.

17. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

clownonfire

Just so we are clear: You are building a vivarium for thumbnails, right? And you have a circulation pump because you want to have a waterfall, right? Are you going to build a backdrop where the water will fall on it?

For your pump, and I do not know how your viv is set up already: make sure it's secure on the bottom glass. Ideally, you want to install it in a way that you will have easy access to it. For many possible reasons: water flow debit, replacing it, ect. If you want to prolong the pump’s life, there should be a filter between the pump and the water. If you buy a filter sponge at your pet store and place it between the pump and the water, it will do the trick. You could always use eggcrates to create a wall around your filter, and like MikeM670, use landscaping fabric on the eggcrate to filter the water before it reaches the pump. (I’m French – writing English is a challenge for me). Or refer to Cheri's suggestion just above.

For your drainage layer: Put minimum 1 inch (I like to put 2 inches) of hydro balls as your first layer. Then place your mesh on it, and it should cover all the bottom layer (make it about an inch larger on all sides, it will help keep the substrate in). Now if you are going to have plants, put your planting soil. Don’t be shy, 3-4 inches, if not more (again, I think you are working with a 12*12*18, so space is limited). Over it, you could simply add a layer of coconut husk, or jungle mix. Now get yourself some leafage, oak leafs, and put it on top of the coconut husk/jungle mix. And voilą. You have to make sure that the roots of your plants have room to grow in the planting soil, and that they do not touch the mesh and mostly, the water. Your roots will rot and your plant will die. Now your enclosure must remain very humid for your thumbs, and you will see that even with a drainage layer and hydro balls, water accumulates. Keep an eye on it. (Because I live in Montreal and we have s*it weather, I have a heat cable on one side of the enclosure’s bottom glass, underneath. It’s actually fantastic for me as it evaporates the water.) If the water gets too high, and starts infiltrating your planting soil, siphon it out with a tube. Your plants should be very happy this way.

Leefrogs

you're English is fine Eric. I would've never guessed-- even though I knew. Don't appologize for being smart!! And thanks Cheri for clearing that up for me. I just remember someone saying they freiked out when their whites dug down to the hydro layer, so I assumed they were bad in some way.

itzjezze

Awsome guys thanx for the info. I will be redoing the terrarium tonight. Gotta get some more hydroballs after work and I will use the gravel that I have for the waterfall to fall into. Im glad I asked about this before getting the frogs.

clownonfire

It's a good plan, Jess. Enjoy. Making the viv can be rewarding. Looking forward to seeing pics.

22. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

itzjezze

Ok, I did it lol I took everything out and put in more hydroballs so I have a bigger drainage layer and now the water falling down the wall falls into gravel and the water running down the driftwood lands in the gravel as well. I also put in some exo terra forest moss instead of soil. Then I topped it with cocoa fiber. The pump that I bought has a good filter build into the side of it, only small particles can pass into the turbine (or whatever its called) so it should get clogged, its at the bottom of the drainage layer too so that should help. So for the record there is officially no saturated substrate

Lemme know what u guys think about the pics. Dont be afraid to tell me if i messed up either I need all the input i can get so my frogs are happy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information