Thread: D. Tincs and neon day geckos

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default D. Tincs and neon day geckos

Hello I was told that neon day geckos are non aggressive and would be ok to keep with dart frogs (info from a friend/ breeder). I was thinking of getting a pair of them and a pair of D. Tincs. Do you guys this this would be ok are tincs hostile?

Your input would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: D. Tincs and neon day geckos

The tincs can be aggressive toward each other. I doubt they would attack the gecko. The gecko attacking them, well, I am not so sure. I have never kept Phelsuma klemmeri, but I have kept P. madagascariensis, P. lineata, and P. quadriocellata. Sometimes they can be a little aggressive, at least the madagascariensis can be. I know P. klemmeri can be one the smaller species, but I have never seen one in the flesh, so I really have no concept of how truly small they are. They may work out, but I can't say for sure.
    The thing that really have to consider is the origin of both species. Neither can be wild caught for this to work. You don't want either to infected the other with exotic pathogens, and wild caught darts are definitely toxic. So mull it over and consider the risks before advancing.

Kurt

Default Re: D. Tincs and neon day geckos

I just thought of this, the neon day geckos you are considering aren't the diminutive Lygodactylus williamsi or any other geckos of the genus of Lygodactylus? They are sometimes called day geckos and williamsi is quite colorful, a screaming blue color. With the pet industry's inclination to make up new names I am thinking that this species could be also called a neon day gecko.
    If L. williamsi is your neon day gecko, I would say in no way should you mix the two. All Lygodactylus geckos are wild caught from Africa, so they will be carriers of African pathogens to which the dart frogs have no immunity.

Thread Information