Thread: WTF introduction/housing issue

Merlin66

Default WTF introduction/housing issue

I've been wanting to get a second WTF for a while now. I've had my first for about a year. He's in a large tank, 36x17x12 or so, and I was wondering the proper way to introduce another frog. I have read that you should probably keep them separated for about 30 days to make sure the new frog is healthy. I have a smaller hexagonal shaped tank that easily fits inside my current tank. I was wondering if I'd be ok to house the new frog in this tank, inside the larger tank. I don't know if frogs can carry diseases that could become airborne, which is the only way I see a scenario like this affecting my current WTF. I feel that this housing situation would allow for similar temperature, humidity and light as my current tank. Any other way of housing the new frog would require buying a new light housing and a couple other materials. Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. This is my first post on here although I've read posts on this site many times before. It's been incredibly helpful.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: WTF introduction/housing issue

Yes disease can be airborne. Suggestions are even to house in seprate rooms. You don't need lighting, as they require no UVA/UVB. Heating probably, for temporary uses, grab a human heating pad, low usually does the trick, depending on glass thickness. Mine is on medium for 4 hours and low later to maintain temp. If u didnt want to go that route, a flex neck lamp at walmart (8$) and a grow light bulb, 40 watt (5$) will do the trick. I think them being able to see eachother would cause stress, and for your current frog - loss of space. And 36x17x12= 31 gal. Make sure your new addition cannot be eaten by your frog. You may have to make more pernament living quarters. Kisa and I have babies, and both have long term housing

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree with Ginger, I think the best situation would be for you to grab a small tank and try to keep the new frog as far away from the already established animal as possible to keep them from getting stressed out. I have known people that have placed their frogs in smaller tanks inside their larger tanks for separation purposes, but this has been used for sudden illness as a quick fix so the sick from doesn't contaminate the water or physical touch the other frogs.

I have had my big WTF for three months and my baby for one month tomorrow, but he is still too small to introduce him to the main tank so I will have to keep him separated for another month or two. I have my baby in a ten gallon long with a water bowl, fake plant, and coconut hide on paper towel substrate (he's now 1 1/2 inches long). This is a cheap and easy way to keep your other frog separate for the quarantine period, ideally 30 days or longer. In addition to having my frogs in separate tanks, I have positioned them (although they have to be in the same room) so that neither of them can see each other inside their separate worlds.

I really do recommend going with Ginger's suggestions, she's really great about saving money. Transitioning a new frog can be really tough for the first few days, as you should know, so having the brand new frog exposed to your existing WTF so fast could cause it undue stress as well. If you're getting a new frog, it's best to follow stricter quarantine procedures.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

5. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

Merlin66

Thanks guys, your advice is really helpful. I'll make sure I do get everything I need and err on the side of caution when I do decide to get another. I'll let you all know when I decide to go through the process.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
    Thanks guys, your advice is really helpful. I'll make sure I do get everything I need and err on the side of caution when I do decide to get another. I'll let you all know when I decide to go through the process.
    PLease do! I'd really like to see some pictures of the setup and your new frog when you get it, let us know!
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

plan on a baby, as this is what breeders and stores will probably have. If u get one in fall they'll be 2 / 3 inches. Although kisa and I were lucky to find some babies in "the off season" and both were at local shops. Call around as shippings going to run 50$ or so, so that's just gas money if u find one close. I called out of state to find my baby.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

And finding mine was just pure luck to be honest. I didn't think I was going to get a blue phase and I'd have to settle for a regular old green WTF, but chances would have it the store I checked out got a bunch of babies and picking through I found my little Bruce Wayne.

I found starting off with babies is better anyway, it's really fun to see them grow. Not that I'm complaining about my big guy, he's a treat too. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Merlin66

I'm not sure which route I want to go with. When I got my WTF he was about 2 inches, so not fully grown but not a baby either. Now he's about 2.5 or so. My cousin is a snake breeder who attends reptile shows about every other weekend. I told him I wanted a blue phase and he was able to find one in no time. There are two stores in my area that sell them. I looked at what they have the other day. Each store has just one frog. One was about 2-3 inches from what I could see and he was all brown at the time. Supposedly a blue dumpy. The other store's is a baby that is no bigger than 3/4 of an inch. It is absolutely adorable and I'm kinda leaning towards going the baby route this time. It didn't look like a blue phase to me. I also haven't decided if I want another blue phase or something else so he's different. I'm taking my time with this.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
    I'm not sure which route I want to go with. When I got my Whites Tree Frog he was about 2 inches, so not fully grown but not a baby either. Now he's about 2.5 or so. My cousin is a snake breeder who attends reptile shows about every other weekend. I told him I wanted a blue phase and he was able to find one in no time. There are two stores in my area that sell them. I looked at what they have the other day. Each store has just one frog. One was about 2-3 inches from what I could see and he was all brown at the time. Supposedly a blue dumpy. The other store's is a baby that is no bigger than 3/4 of an inch. It is absolutely adorable and I'm kinda leaning towards going the baby route this time. It didn't look like a blue phase to me. I also haven't decided if I want another blue phase or something else so he's different. I'm taking my time with this.
    It's good that you're taking the time, really. Some people jump right into the hobby and find themselves confused and upset. (ME....>>) But anyway, I learned fast. XD;

Keep in mind that Blue Phases aren't blue all the time, mine can go from the darkest brown I've ever seen (almost black) to a beautiful lush turqoise, to a stunning lime green. When I found mine he was a little blue frog living in a sea of green and browns, so it was easy to distinguish him from the other two colors. When we looked at him we decided he was neither color and so had to be a blue phase, thank goodness I was right. XD

Whatever route you choose, the initial thirty day quarantine is always a requirement if you want to ensure the health and safety of your frog, and make sure that if you get a baby, you need to wait until he's big enough before you introduce him or you could have a "frog eat frog" situation on your hands. (I love that phrase. XD)
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Merlin66

I'm reviving a long dead thread of mine here because I can't seem to find any advise on this topic through searches.
    I finally purchased a second whites tree frog back in Sept. of 2013. He was really small so he's been living in a tank all on his own. Had him in a separate room for a couple months and now the tanks are next to each other. Seems perfectly healthy. My old whites is about 2.5 inches long and about 1.5 inches wide. This new one is now up to 2 inches long and about 1 inch wide. I would like to know what to do about them trying to bite/eat each other. The first time I put them both in the same tank I did so with the older whites in a clear small container. Both the new frog and the old frog lunged at each other at various times trying to bite/eat. After a while they just ignored each other. Finally the other night I cleared one of the tanks and put them both in there without any separation. After about 3-4 minutes of them standing up trying to display dominance or something the older frog tried to bite the new one's head. The newer frog backed off and seem pretty frightened (fast breathing, heart beat) and that was that. They ignored each other for a while and I re-separated. I would just like to know what to watch for that is normal and what to watch for that's not. I know the older frog could probably fit the newer one's head/arms/legs into his mouth and I'm worried he could somehow harm the new one. I'm quite sure he cannot eat him, I just afraid of what I could wake up to the first night they're together.

Also: The older frog has much more girth than the newer one. I'd say it's more of the typical white's I see in pictures whereas the newer one is still pretty skinny. So even though the size differences up above don't seem very different he looks huge in comparison.

Merlin66

Still looking for advise on this issue.

Nationality
    [United States]

Wish I could help, but I didn't know that WTF's would fight or claim dominance. I've got 3, but they have been raised together since babies. I know they have tiny teeth (feels like sandpaper) on top because my female will try to eat my finger when I'm late with dinner, so is it causing damage to the new one? If no one with fighting frog experience chimes in, I would feed them, then put them together and see how they do. Maybe they will be calmer with a full belly.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

I just re-read the first post. Are you saying the height is only 17 inch?? This is way to short for WTF or really any tree frog. Minimum for a healthy happy tree frog should be 24 inches, and that's 24 inch of moving space, this doesn't include substrate.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

I've read this whole thread since was confused by the time span between the first post and the present. If your older White's is close to 3 years old; it should be full grown and at 2.5 in. (is that snout to vent?) long appears is a bit stunted.

If accurate; think 0.5 in. SVL difference between them is not so great that the smaller one looks like a meal to the larger one. Like Gail stated; this is the first time I read about White's fighting for dominance. Maybe your older frog has lived alone for a long time and does not want to share it's enclosure. Every animal is different and there is always the exception to every rule.

Recommend get either an ExoTerra Medium X-tall or Large X-tall enclosure and set it up to your desires (either with artificial or live plants). Then once enclosure is ready; introduce both frogs at the same time to their new home. Since both frogs are new to that enclosure, they will not defend it as their territory. Also, by going with a 36 in. height X-tall enclosure, the White's will be less stressed out about space and need to guard it from other frogs. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Merlin66

I like the advice about a new tank so they both don't have any territorial issues. The older frog has been alone for the entire time that I've had him. As far as stunted growth I don't know what could have caused it. He's fed every couple of days and he eats 4-5 crickets per feeding. Also dust the crickets every couple of feedings and gut load them. I'll see what I can do about a new tank. Thanks for the advice.

Thread Information