Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinkin' about darts again

100+ Post Member Teh Frog Whisperer's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Thinkin' about darts again

I'm thinking about getting a pair of dart frogs-one male and one female-and keeping them in a 20-gallon long, provided that's enough space. These will be my first dart frogs, so which kind should I get?
    0.1.0 Lepidobatrachus laevis-George-RIP
    0.1.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli x cornuta-Peggy
    0.0.1 Litoria caerulea-Fremont
    0.0.1 Lithobates catesbeianus-The Bullfrog
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya sp.-Clay and Gemma

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Thinkin' about darts again

20 gallon will be very nice for a pair of D. Tinctorius (Azurius, Powder Blue, Cobalt - note that if you are thinking about getting azureus, you shouldn't put two females together as they are very territorial, but that's not what you are aiming for).

Some of our members here are very happy with D. Leucomelas. These do really well in pairs and groups.

Another beginner dart frogs are the D. auratus. As opposed to the tincts and leucs, these are semi-arboreal.... therefore you would need to think about building a viv that will have lots of places to climb (tincts and leucs will also be caught climbing, but they are mostly terrestrial frogs).

These are just a few choices you may want to consider... There are lots more to chose, but it's a good starting point.

When you build your viv, you'll have to think about keeping it very humid, and make sure it stays at least at room temperature. Seeding springtails in advance will also be beneficial for the viv as the frogs will feed on this microfauna... and the springtails will also be playing the roles of janitors in your viv, eating feces and dead leaves, etc.

Have you thought about culturing fruit flies? It will be your frogs main source of food.... Something to consider...

Keep us posted!

Eric

Leefrogs

I been thinking bout them too. I wanted to do study a whole lot before making decision on species. Had a question, if it's a larger viv do territory issues go away?

clownonfire

Actually, like any other frogs, you will need to be careful about how many frogs you will put in an enclosure. Some are much more social, like the leucs, while some like the azureus are more territorial, and females tend to be extremely aggressive with other females in a closed tank. So for tincts, it's a good idea to pair them male-female in a tank.

If you plan on having larger groups, make sure you have lots of space, lots of hiding space and plants or pieces of wood that could act as a visual separation.

Also, juveniles don't have that territorial trait. I will be getting 5 juvenile P. terribilis, which will be housed together in a 29 gallons and I will separate them in about 12-18 months.

6. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

What temperature range do darts need? What kind of plants are best for darts in a 20-gallon tank?

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Frog Whisperer View Post
    What temperature range do darts need? What kind of plants are best for darts in a 20-gallon tank?
    Generally speaking (and it can vary), a range of temperature of 70-80 F is suitable. Keeping it around 75 is good.

As for plants, often enough, when you read "darts" you'll often read "bromeliads". What you want to do is mimic their natural environment. Michael Lawrence (PoisonBeauties) on this site is a great reference. In my dart frog vivs, I have bromeliads, oak leaf figs, creeping figs, orchids, and one that I like a lot, Blushing Philodendron.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright, a few more questions:

-How many D. Leucomelas can fit comfortably in a 20-gallon, long tank?
    -How do I maintain 80-100% humidity?
    -What kind of lighting do I use?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it, I'm really interested in this information as well and will be reading along. My personal favorite of darts frogs are the D. Auratus, I just love their blue to green and black coloration. I'll probably start thinking about getting a pair of these in the future.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

clownonfire

Alright, a few more questions:

-How many D. Leucomelas can fit comfortably in a 20-gallon, long tank?
    -How do I maintain 80-100% humidity?
    -What kind of lighting do I use?
    I would put a pair of leucs in a 20-gallon, perhaps a trio. I wouldn't go above that. Maintaining humidity will be achieve by:

Putting a sheet of glass over your terrarium cover. Glass keeps the humidity in. Hydroballs will also help keeping good humidity. And if you do not was to purchase an automatic mister such as the Exo-Terra Monsoon or the Mist King, you will need to spray your terrarium at least twice a day. What you want is a wet environment. So twice a day, and good sprays. I suggest getting a digital hydrometer to make sure you keep track of the humidity. For example, I have two of them in my 29 gallon to make sure humidity is kept on all sides of my viv.

Lighting in itself is not necessary for the frogs. However, it will be for the plants I have mentioned above, and for most plants you will be getting for a dart frog viv. In my 29 gallon, I use two Exo-Terra Glow Light fixtures with each a 13w Repti Glo 2.0 Compact Full Spectrum Terrarium Lamp. Some members here use 26w. My plants are doing fantastic with a 13w. Other members here will use T5s and/or T8s. Here's a thread on lighting I started a few weeks back: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...art-frogs.html.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks a lot for the info, everyone. By the way , what to the numbers and species names in your signatures mean?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks a lot for the info, everyone. By the way , what to the numbers and species names in your signatures mean?
    Eric there informaed a little while ago that the numbers are "male.female.unknown frog name", you put the number of each category you have and then the frog's scientific name, to avoid confusion.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    I would put a pair of leucs in a 20-gallon, perhaps a trio. I wouldn't go above that. Maintaining humidity will be achieve by:

Putting a sheet of glass over your terrarium cover. Glass keeps the humidity in. Hydroballs will also help keeping good humidity. And if you do not was to purchase an automatic mister such as the Exo-Terra Monsoon or the Mist King, you will need to spray your terrarium at least twice a day. What you want is a wet environment. So twice a day, and good sprays. I suggest getting a digital hydrometer to make sure you keep track of the humidity. For example, I have two of them in my 29 gallon to make sure humidity is kept on all sides of my viv.

Lighting in itself is not necessary for the frogs. However, it will be for the plants I have mentioned above, and for most plants you will be getting for a dart frog viv. In my 29 gallon, I use two Exo-Terra Glow Light fixtures with each a 13w Repti Glo 2.0 Compact Full Spectrum Terrarium Lamp. Some members here use 26w. My plants are doing fantastic with a 13w. Other members here will use T5s and/or T8s. Here's a thread on lighting I started a few weeks back: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...art-frogs.html.
    So I'm assuming that dart frogs don't require the same amount of ventilation that tree frogs do then? Because of the piece of glass? I have seen someone I know do this for their bearded dragon tank, but I assume that was to keep the heat in, since bearded dragon's need a lot of dry heat.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    So I'm assuming that dart frogs don't require the same amount of ventilation that tree frogs do then? Because of the piece of glass? I have seen someone I know do this for their bearded dragon tank, but I assume that was to keep the heat in, since bearded dragon's need a lot of dry heat.
    Your guess is right on Kisa. You can pretty much completely close up the viv since when you open the top, that will be enough to change out some small amount of air. Also, the plants produce much of the needed oxygen and the viv maintains itself.

Biggest need to any air movement is some plants which require some type of circulation to thrive.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

16. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Your guess is right on Kisa. You can pretty much completely close up the viv since when you open the top, that will be enough to change out some small amount of air. Also, the plants produce much of the needed oxygen and the viv maintains itself.

Biggest need to any air movement is some plants which require some type of circulation to thrive.
    Alright thanks Don, that info is helpful. Right now I'm operating off my knowledge of tree frogs for deciding what I'm going to do with a pair of darts (hopefully some morph of D. Auratus, I LOVE those. ><). I've noticed that darts do like longer tanks, is that right? I have my small 10 gallon that I'm using right now for Mr. Wayne and wondering what I was going to do with it once he's big enough to join Bruce Campbell. Cheri suggested I modify it for a different pair of frogs. I was thinking turning it on it's side and manufacturing a door would be the best way to do it, but can I just leave it the way it is? I read somewhere that D. Auratus like to climb more than other darts, but they're mostly found on the ground. And is a ten gallon even big enough for two D. Auratus? O: (sorry for hijacking your thread Frog Whisperer, I didn't realize how many questions I actually had...>>)
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

clownonfire

Auratus are mostly terrestrial. They will climb a bit, like leucs and tincts. But they will be happy on a flat ground, with ondulating landscapes. So yes, these will strive in horizontal vivs (as opposed to thumbs who will be happier in vertical vivs). As for space... I personally think 10 gallon is too small for a pair of auratus... These are bold frogs and they will explore. Why not give them lots to explore!

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't know whether to get D. Leucomelas or D. Tinctorius. How do I know if I'm getting a male or female?

Leefrogs

usually u have to pay more fir a sexed pair.

Great thread dude

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Eric thanks I must have read it wrong, I don't know where I got the idea that they were more arboreal, I must be confusing them with another species. I would love to give them all the room they desire but unfortunately I just don't really have the space...do you think a 15 gallon would be ok for a pair or should I just go for a 20? Keep in mind this won't be for another few months, I'm looking for a job right now and I want to have a steady income before I think (haha obviously I've already thought about it XD) about getting more frogs. Those durinal (sp?) Darts are so tempting! ><

And I think for the sexing it really depends on who you're dealing with, as in which breeder you plan on buying them from. I'd be willing to pay a little more for a sexed pair, I like having one of each gender, if I hadn't had a pair of themed names for my White's I would've wanted a male and female too. XD But Ginger's right I have seen sights asking for a bit more for a sexed pair.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

bshmerlie

Kisa I was at LLL reptile a couple of weeks ago and they had some baby Luecs that would do great starting out in your horizontal 10 gallon. They prefer horizontal which you already have, they are social frogs so you wouldn't have to worry if you got two boys or two girls, and they are very bold and would be out and visible often. Being just babies you could keep a pair of them in there for awhile. Then down the road when you catch the dart frog bug you can turn the tank vertical and go with a couple of imitator thumbnails. You can build your experience with the leucs and then move into thumbnails. See...you've just got to have a plan. Strange...my plan is to always find a way to get more frogs. you can get all glass hinged lids for your 10 gal at Petco for about 13 bucks. Being all glass that will help keep your humidity where you want it. Just some thoughts. And buying the frogs local you wouldn't have to worry about shipping cost.

Nationality
    [United States]

How and where can I get live moss for my dart frog tank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information