Thread: White tree frogs humidity?

abeechingmassage

Question White tree frogs humidity?

I am new to frog care, i reserched and got an adult whites tree frog, I am interested in humidity information.... i live in Alberta, Cananda and i always have low humidity despite hydroballs and coveing 3/4 the tank with glass. i still must mist every few hours or it drops to 30%. any suggestions?

Default Re: White tree frogs humidity?

It's very hard to have such low humidity.You must live in a very dry place. Do you use soil? How large of a water dish do you have? The more full the tank is (with decor, plants, vines), the more humidity you'll have.

bshmerlie

First make sure you are using an accurate digital humidity gauge. The dial ones may not be reliable. Next you could add more live plants that usually work along with some moss for the ground. If your still having trouble you can purchase a fogger. I use the reptifogger for inbetween mistings. It work well and gives me piece of mind.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Is there a light on that is providing heat? In the daytime, a lamp that puts off heat will dry things out quickly. If you can get away with a compact florescent bulb it may dry out less. This will depend on the how your keeping your temps up.

Live plants such as bromeliads also help keep humidity up.

I usually have to mist twice daily and the lowest mine gets is about 50 percent.
    You may also want to compare your humidity gauge to another one since they are not usually the most accurate things.

Pics of the setup may help someone provide other ideas too,
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have a 33 gallon for my WTF and his humidity doesn't drop below 45% is I stay on top of it. Sometimes I only have to mist once every two or three days. Given, I live in southern California and it is much more humid here because I'm right by the beach.

I have one large bromeliad, cutting of a snake plant in two places and two separate little bamboos in his tank. Also I have jungle bed on top of screening and hydro balls, moss on top of all that and some leaf litter covering parts of the moss. This keeps the humidity higher that it used to be with just the plantation soil substrate.

The tips given here are totally correct and helpful, so if you try to follow these you should be alright.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

I have the same problem. My boys 33 gal has plants in pots-- that seemed to do the trick. When I repeated this with my 10 gal vertical, it didn't work. I ended up having to plant the bottom. Instead of hydro balls I used charcoal, just because it's such a small viv and only half planted. Now I have humidity too high, and don't have to mist except for one squirt every few days. And now that I've added broms in drift wood, I just have to water them, no more misting at all.

treefrogsrules

[QUOTE=abeechingmassage;52307]I am new to frog care, i reserched and got an adult whites tree frog, I am interested in humidity information.... i live in Alberta, Cananda and i always have low humidity despite hydroballs and coveing 3/4 the tank with glass. i still must mist every few hours or it drops to 30%. any suggestions

Get a zoo med reptifogger, they work great, and keep the humidity up, it also has a good visual effect

daziladi

I live in Las Vegas and the humidity issue almost drove me nuts! The answer was in Kurt's WTF care sheet.. a viv using 1/3 water. It's a miracle... the humidity stays about 60%, they have air curculation and their temp stays about 72 degrees. There's a video over at my youtube account so you can see how easy they are to put together.

YouTube - Tree Frog Aquaterrarium

Thread Information