Thread: Nose Injury help

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Nose Injury help

Greetings all! I recently acquired a juvenile male and couldn't be happier except.....He has been a nervous jumper. He is about 5.5 inches and currently in a 10 gallon. I realize that this is a small home and have a 20 long that will be ready for him in the next few days. I have never had a pyxie do this to itself! The jumping at the lid has not been constant. Just intermittent flurries, that have caused the injury. In his jumping fits he has made a raw patch right between his nostrils. Is there anything that I can treat him with? Or should I just move him to his larger home and hope for the best? I have covered all sides of the tank with brown paper to try and calm him down. He has about 4 inches of coco fiber, large water basin and the warm side of the tank is about 84-86 degrees. His small injury has not curbed his appetite at all. I just don't want any permanent damage to this beautiful beast. Any tips and insights would be great! Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Nose Injury help

This sounds like a classic case of "my house is too small". As soon as your transfer him the problem should clear up. Did you acquire him from a store? If so and they had him in a bigger tank before you brought him home it's probably because the ten gallon is too small and he's trying to tell you he needs more room. Just get him into the 20 gallon as quick as you can and hopefully he'll stop.

The noserub may be able to be treated with a very small amount of neosporin (NO PAIN RELEIF -- it will kill your frog) applied once a day or so until the wound seems to start to clear up. The neosporin is good to help heal and fight off infection, but get other opinions before you go and use it on your frog. I've never owned pixies, but I have used neosporin on my White's Tree Frog to good results and with no side effects so I don't see why you couldn't use it. This is just a suggestion though, wait til someone else replies before you use it please. And remember NO PAIN RELIEF!
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

volcom19961995

Go online to find a herp vet in your area and take him in mention baytril

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by volcom19961995 View Post
    Go online to find a herp vet in your area and take him in mention baytril
    You could take him to a vet if you think the situation is serious, just remember that they can be expensive or hard to find. If the frog doesn't have an infection he won't need baytril though, that's an antibiotic.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Eel Noob

I agree, go with neosporin.

Thread Information