Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springtails for new terrarium

itzjezze

Default Springtails for new terrarium

I just got done setting up my first natural terrarium. I have Hydroballs covered by mesh covered with cocofiber. I have a few plants and a driftwood stick, waterfall and such. I was going to get a RETF however I decided to get a pair of darts since the terrarium is only 12x12x18.

I havent had springtails before however I am concerned since it is a bug and I have roommates. Will springtails escape the terrarium and make home in our carpeting/bedding/furniture? and also I have read that soil is needed for springtails, will just having cocofiber be ok?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Springtails for new terrarium

I have never had springtails but I've considered it. From what I've gathered from other members, they'll only be interested in your soil and are very unlikely to escape.

I would assume the coco fiber would be fine.

4. This member thanks 1beataway for this post:

itzjezze

Thanks

Another question:
    For feeding darts, is it just as easy as setting up a culture of springtails before introducing the frogs? Do I need to monitor the culture or do they reproduce as fast as the frogs eat them? lol

Leefrogs

Springs are more of a snack, u still need fruit flies and/or pin heads. They're more for cleaning purposes, as they eat your frogs waste.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by itzjezze View Post
    I just got done setting up my first natural terrarium. I have Hydroballs covered by mesh covered with cocofiber. I have a few plants and a driftwood stick, waterfall and such. I was going to get a Red-Eyed Leaf Frog however I decided to get a pair of darts since the terrarium is only 12x12x18.

I havent had springtails before however I am concerned since it is a bug and I have roommates. Will springtails escape the terrarium and make home in our carpeting/bedding/furniture? and also I have read that soil is needed for springtails, will just having cocofiber be ok?
    Hi! If you are going to go with darts, you should seed your terrarium in advance (at least two weeks before you introduce the darts) with springtails. Basically, get a culture and spread it on the substrate of your terrarium. It will give them enough time to dig down and reproduce. This microfauna will be a great source of food for your darts.

Now the springtails wont escape, they are tiny and prefer dark and wet places... As for fruit flies, which should be the other food source (or pinhead crickets - which are more expensive and will hide in the substrate). Fruit flies should be feed every other day, and they should be dusted first. Your frogs will eat on the springtails when there are no FF. And springtails will also clean your viv...

Depending on what dart frogs you will be getting, you will either feed D. hydei (bigger fruitflies) or D. melanogaster (smaller). Make sure you get either flightless or wingless. Now even if they will not fly, some will escape, so be ready to live with a few loose bugs!

12*12*18 is on the smaller side for darts... Do you know which ones you are thinking of getting? For a small frog, they need lots of space. In the dimensions you are giving, I would only suggest something like a pair of thumbnails, as they are arboreal. You would need to create more of a vertical landscape for them.

Don't hesitate if you have more questions...

Eric

8. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

itzjezze

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Hi! If you are going to go with darts, you should seed your terrarium in advance (at least two weeks before you introduce the darts) with springtails. Basically, get a culture and spread it on the substrate of your terrarium. It will give them enough time to dig down and reproduce. This microfauna will be a great source of food for your darts.

Now the springtails wont escape, they are tiny and prefer dark and wet places... As for fruit flies, which should be the other food source (or pinhead crickets - which are more expensive and will hide in the substrate). Fruit flies should be feed every other day, and they should be dusted first. Your frogs will eat on the springtails when there are no FF. And springtails will also clean your viv...

Depending on what dart frogs you will be getting, you will either feed D. hydei (bigger fruitflies) or D. melanogaster (smaller). Make sure you get either flightless or wingless. Now even if they will not fly, some will escape, so be ready to live with a few loose bugs!

12*12*18 is on the smaller side for darts... Do you know which ones you are thinking of getting? For a small frog, they need lots of space. In the dimensions you are giving, I would only suggest something like a pair of thumbnails, as they are arboreal. You would need to create more of a vertical landscape for them.

Don't hesitate if you have more questions...

Eric
    I was thinking about having a pair of Dendrobates Auratus. Will the be comfertable in that size of a tank?
    If not will Imitators be ok? If I get a thumbnail I would prefer the Imitators.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

So can you seed a viv after it as been established? Wondered this for some time now.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    So can you seed a viv after it as been established? Wondered this for some time now.
    It is possible to see a viv with springtails even after it's housed by frogs. Actually, even once a viv is seeded it will needed to be reseeded occasionally. However, it is much easier to seed when inhabited.

As for D.auratus, in my opinion, it's too small. And yes, Imitators are great thumbnails. Bold, very bold actually, and perfectly suited for beginners. And they will do well in a viv of that size.

12. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

itzjezze

It is possible to see a viv with springtails even after it's housed by frogs. Actually, even once a viv is seeded it will needed to be reseeded occasionally. However, it is much easier to seed when inhabited.

As for D.auratus, in my opinion, it's too small. And yes, Imitators are great thumbnails. Bold, very bold actually, and perfectly suite for beginners. And they will do well in a viv of that size.
    Great now only if I could find some lol

So whats the limit of thumbnails in that small of a tank?

clownonfire

Great now only if I could find some lol

So whats the limit of thumbnails in that small of a tank?
    I wouldn't put more than a pair. Again, that's me. As for finding some... They shouldn't be too hard to find, itzjezze.... Spring shipping season is starting.... If you Google well.... I might have someone who could help you too. Let me contact him first...

Eric

15. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

itzjezze

I wouldn't put more than a pair. Again, that's me. As for finding some... They shouldn't be too hard to find, itzjezze.... Spring shipping season is starting.... If you Google well.... I might have someone who could help you too. Let me contact him first...

Eric
    Dude your awsome Your so helpful, thank you!

Another question. Do i get regular springtails or tropical springtails? and will they need fruit flies as well? or just springtails?

Also can I add a little bit of aquarium gravel sized rocks to my water feature or is that risking ingestion during feeding?

clownonfire

Dude your awsome Your so helpful, thank you!

Another question. Do i get regular springtails or tropical springtails? and will they need fruit flies as well? or just springtails?

Also can I add a little bit of aquarium gravel sized rocks to my water feature or is that risking ingestion during feeding?
    It's my pleasure. I love all my frogs, but my darts are my favorites (i don't want the other ones hearing this though).

Springtails wont be enough for your thumbs. You will need to feed them fruit flies, and for thumbs, it will be D. melanogaster (here's a great thread for Fruit Flies cultures: http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...rosophila.html). As for springtails, here's another great question that Poison Beauties could answer (he's been very helpful with me when I started, and most of what I know comes from him). And to quote Michael: Temperate or Tropical they all thrive under the same conditions. So both should be fine. I use the temperate ones.

As for the gravel, Frog Forum's founder John made a viv last year for his P. terribilis (can't wait to have mine) that used small gravel and it seems to be fine. You'll find the pictures here: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...terrarium.html.

itzjezze

It's my pleasure. I love all my frogs, but my darts are my favorites (i don't want the other ones hearing this though).

Springtails wont be enough for your thumbs. You will need to feed them fruit flies, and for thumbs, it will be D. melanogaster (here's a great thread for Fruit Flies cultures: http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...rosophila.html). As for springtails, here's another great question that Poison Beauties could answer (he's been very helpful with me when I started, and most of what I know comes from him). And to quote Michael: Temperate or Tropical they all thrive under the same conditions. So both should be fine. I use the temperate ones.

As for the gravel, Frog Forum's founder John made a viv last year for his P. terribilis (can't wait to have mine) that used small gravel and it seems to be fine. You'll find the pictures here: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...terrarium.html.
    Ive been looking at getting some springtails but the cheapest I can find them is $20 (including shipping) at Josh'sfrogs.com, i dont have much experience in buying bugs but that seems a little steep of a price for little bugs lol is there any other place or way to obtain these bugs? Ive read a few forums of people getting them out of there backyard but I dont know if that would be safe...

clownonfire

Ive been looking at getting some springtails but the cheapest I can find them is $20 (including shipping) at Josh'sfrogs.com, i dont have much experience in buying bugs but that seems a little steep of a price for little bugs lol is there any other place or way to obtain these bugs? Ive read a few forums of people getting them out of there backyard but I dont know if that would be safe...
    Michael Lawrence might still have some (Poison Beauties). I suggest you contact him!

itzjezze

Michael Lawrence might still have some (Poison Beauties). I suggest you contact him!
    I asked him, he ran out lol but I went to bugsincyberspace.com and they were $13 (including shipping) for a culture of 50. Hopefully they all arrive in one piece

clownonfire

I asked him, he ran out lol but I went to bugsincyberspace.com and they were $13 (including shipping) for a culture of 50. Hopefully they all arrive in one piece
    That's great.... I wonder what dismembered springtails would look like...

itzjezze

That's great.... I wonder what dismembered springtails would look like...
    lol I dont want to find out XD

clownonfire

Hey,

Well I contacted my friends and it seems he doesn't have any thumbs. But here's a link to Understory Enterprises. They have some, always available I think. They also ship to the US. And they have great lineage. Also, part of the money they receive for the frogs go to conservation efforts in South America.

Understory Enterprises Inc. - Homepage

Eric

24. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

itzjezze

Very cool thank you. I checked the website, they didnt have Imitators listed but I sent them an email to see if they have any.

Tony

Very cool thank you. I checked the website, they didnt have Imitators listed but I sent them an email to see if they have any.
    Which morph are you looking for? I have a buddy who was overrun with standards recently, he probably still has some.

27. This member thanks Tony for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information