Thread: All upset after a turbulent night trying to save a frog

kermitfan

Default All upset after a turbulent night trying to save a frog

Let me start off by saying that I know nothing about frogs so I already feel guily for some of the wrong steps I may have taken.

Whilst walking to the bottom of the garden yesterday i saw a motionless frog with one of its rear legs almost hanging off its body, I assumed it to be dead but upon gently prodding it the frog tried to move although struggled to do so. Now I am quite a softie when it comes to all living creatures so I knew that I wanted to help it.

So I had him in my room all night in a old ice cream container that I filled with tap water, yes I found out this morning that tap water can be deadly for frogs and so i feel bad about that. I tilted the container so that the water was at the bottom of the container and so the top half was dry area for the frog to move to and I filled that with leaves.

Well this morning he was still breathing but pretty much motionless although sometimes moved in panic when I went near him. His body is also more damaged than I realised with both his front hands?? swollen and black and also blood under his body. So I rang my local vets and they said they to take him down there and they will see what they can do.

So I have taken him down there and left him there and they are going to ring me back and let me know what has happened, to be honest I don't expect good news.

Just got home and feeling quite sad, sad that I could have done more maybe.

Does anyone know what the prodecure with the vets will be, whether it be decide the frog is well enough to live or not?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: All upset after a turbulent night trying to save a frog

Quote Originally Posted by kermitfan View Post
    Let me start off by saying that I know nothing about frogs so I already feel guily for some of the wrong steps I may have taken.

Whilst walking to the bottom of the garden yesterday i saw a motionless frog with one of its rear legs almost hanging off its body, I assumed it to be dead but upon gently prodding it the frog tried to move although struggled to do so. Now I am quite a softie when it comes to all living creatures so I knew that I wanted to help it.

So I had him in my room all night in a old ice cream container that I filled with tap water, yes I found out this morning that tap water can be deadly for frogs and so i feel bad about that. I tilted the container so that the water was at the bottom of the container and so the top half was dry area for the frog to move to and I filled that with leaves.

Well this morning he was still breathing but pretty much motionless although sometimes moved in panic when I went near him. His body is also more damaged than I realised with both his front hands?? swollen and black and also blood under his body. So I rang my local vets and they said they to take him down there and they will see what they can do.

So I have taken him down there and left him there and they are going to ring me back and let me know what has happened, to be honest I don't expect good news.

Just got home and feeling quite sad, sad that I could have done more maybe.

Does anyone know what the prodecure with the vets will be, whether it be decide the frog is well enough to live or not?
    Hi.... First off, kudos to you for going out of your way to take care of a frog that was not yours, and even more kudos to bring him to a vet. It's hard to say what will happen to your frog and what procedures they will opt for. Frogs are resilient. And I've read about frogs loosing one limb and live to tell the tale. I would say keep your hopes up until you hear from the vet.

It's a nice gesture you've just done.

Eric

I completely agree with Eric. Most people would have left the frog, and most definitely wouldn't have taken it to a vet. It's a great gesture. I really hope the little guy makes it.

kermitfan

Thanks guys I really hope he makes it too, I had people say to me that I should just put the frog out of it's misery but there's no way I was going to do that.

If they do have to put him/her down I assume it will be painless.

Leefrogs

you were lucky to even find a vet, feel fortunate for that. When I called around for a frog vet, the vets thaught I was talking bout the scabby things on horses legs!!!

kermitfan

Haha! well I called the RSPCA here in the UK and they said to just take him to my local vets and that they should treat them free of charge. Which the vets kindly did do although did ask for a small donation of which I was happy to oblige.

kermitfan

Bad news im affraid guys, call from the vets they had to put the frog down as he has a fractured pelvis and limbs, at least he's at peace now.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news...but you're right, at least the little guy is no longer in pain. There's no telling how long he could have laid in your garden in agony waiting to die if it hadn't been for you. I commend what you've done to the highest degree, I only hope that others can learn from your kindness.

Thank you for sharing your story with us, it's truly inspirational.

<3
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

I think with such frog humanity, u should look into getting a pet frog. Sorry for the pains of cat to frog torture, but as a pet u can keep them safe in a viv.

kermitfan

How would one go about acquiring a pet frog, I assume you don't mean catching one

We do have a pond at thr bottom of the garden which our dad always tended to when he was alive and i fear a cat may cause problems to a few more frogs this coming summer.

Leefrogs

ya, a frog from the store. WTF are quite affordable, but we all spend too much on accecories. Good care sheets to the left if your interested. Especially if u like to garden, it's like a garden in your house. Plants that are hard to grow because of low hummidity can easily grow in a viv.

Maybe if u found an old rotten out tree and cut it into nice hiding spots for them? Or u could buy little frog houses?

Thread Information