Thread: Just bought a tadpole... help!!

RockinOutAmber

Question Just bought a tadpole... help!!

Some one slap me... Seriously. I just bought a tadpole. It was an impulse buy. The pet store said it was a bull frog. I was just reading a few threads on here and now I am totally freaking out! I need as much information as you can spew to me. Habitat, Size, care ect! Any information will be helpful.

Right now it's in a 5 1/2 gallon filtered tank with 2 goldfish. The store had this tadpole in a tank with about 100 gold fish. They didn't supply me with much information, and they gave me algae wafers to feed it. How often does it need to be fed? I fed it 2 little pieces already, but I don't know if those stinkin fish ate it!

HELP. Please don't flame me for not researching before hand. I honestly feel horrible about the whole ordeal and only want to make the best home for Mr. Tadpole.

Here it is Name:  IMG_6479.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  25.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Just bought a tadpole... help!!

As I said in your other thread, bullfrogs are not great pets for indoor terrariums, and they are definitely not a good introduction to frogs. They are large, jumpy eating machines. If at all possible I would suggest returning it to the store, or if you live in a part of the country where bullfrogs are native try to rehome it to someone with a pond.

If you do decide to keep it their care is not particularly difficult, but it will be expensive. It will need a very large tank with excellent filtration in the water area and a constant supply of food. Normal room temperatures should be sufficient. Opinions are mixed on whether UVB light is necessary for frogs or not, I personally prefer to provide it, especially to a species like the bullfrog that spends so much time exposed to the sun in nature.

A White's tree frog or American green tree frog would be a much better frog to start with.

4. This member thanks Tony for this post:

RockinOutAmber

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    As I said in your other thread, bullfrogs are not great pets for indoor terrariums, and they are definitely not a good introduction to frogs. They are large, jumpy eating machines. If at all possible I would suggest returning it to the store, or if you live in a part of the country where bullfrogs are native try to rehome it to someone with a pond.

If you do decide to keep it their care is not particularly difficult, but it will be expensive. It will need a very large tank with excellent filtration in the water area and a constant supply of food. Normal room temperatures should be sufficient. Opinions are mixed on whether UVB light is necessary for frogs or not, I personally prefer to provide it, especially to a species like the bullfrog that spends so much time exposed to the sun in nature.

A White's tree frog or American green tree frog would be a much better frog to start with.
    We have a beaver pond at the end of our property. They are native to my area. I think I'll release it when the time comes. Thanks for the help!

Could you tell me a little more about those types of frogs?

Leefrogs

I'll glady tell u about the WTF. They're beautifull, funny and smart. They're 20-35 $ depending on breed. Adults can be housed in 20 gal, no water falls or filtration nessisary, just a bowl and daily water changes. They are perfect beginner frogs, and the most popular frog the last 50 years!! And the only ones that can be held on occasion. The blue phase are friendlier and more out going than the indoneasian, they change color daily, or by the second. They do require daytime heating(80), lights can help, but dries cage out, humidity has to be above 50%, perferably 65/70. They're nocterbal but will wake up at set feeding time, usually an hour before dark, and know if you've changed that time, mine turn brown in frustration if I'm late!! LOL. They are eating machines and tend to be obese, there's a great care sheet on the left that will give u more details.

They love beautiful surroundings with lots of cover, you can look in my alblum if u like. Opal is just a baby and in a 10 gal, until she's large enough to not get eaten by the boys, kermit and lump. Good luck!!!

RockinOutAmber

I posted on my horse forum that I will most likely release my frog in our beaver pond and they freaked out! This is a native species to my area. They are saying it's irresponsible and that it will ruin the ecosystem. Am I in the wrong for wanted to better this little guys life by releasing it. They told me to humanly kill it, rehome, or even eat it. ANYTHING but release it. Seriously will it be that big of a deal?

Leefrogs

Not if it's native. Ask them if they wana join u for a horse burger!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow...definitely don't eat it. :/

I say if Bullfrogs are native to your home then what is the harm in releasing it. If the store you bought the tadpole in was local that could mean that they caught it wild in your area or What do horse people know about frogs anyway...?

You could always return it to the store, I'm sure, unless they don't have some sort of policy about that. Maybe there is someone in your area who has bullfrogs and could take it off your hands? I would put up a "for sale" thread and see if anyone is interested. You bought the tadpole so please be responsible about what you do with it. It would be sad to see a life wasted on a impulse buy. Just please don't kill it...
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

RockinOutAmber

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    Wow...definitely don't eat it. :/

I say if Bullfrogs are native to your home then what is the harm in releasing it. If the store you bought the tadpole in was local that could mean that they caught it wild in your area or What do horse people know about frogs anyway...?

You could always return it to the store, I'm sure, unless they don't have some sort of policy about that. Maybe there is someone in your area who has bullfrogs and could take it off your hands? I would put up a "for sale" thread and see if anyone is interested. You bought the tadpole so please be responsible about what you do with it. It would be sad to see a life wasted on a impulse buy. Just please don't kill it...
    I would NEVER kill it! My mouth dropped when I saw they suggested I eat the poor thing . Their arugement is what if the frog is carrying a disease?

My pet store has a no return policy on animals. Right now it's winter here but spring is on the way!! When Mr.Tadpole changes I could put up an add in my local area but I doubt anyone with the knowledge would be around me.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinOutAmber View Post
    We have a beaver pond at the end of our property. They are native to my area. I think I'll release it when the time comes. Thanks for the help!

Could you tell me a little more about those types of frogs?
    For Whites treefrogs see:

Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care

For an American Green treefrog, they are similar in care to Gray treefrogs in care requirements, though from warmer areas and a little smaller and more dainty. Gray treefrog caresheet:

Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care

Gray treefrogs make great pets too if you can obtain them.

Your petstore deserves a great big "Boo! Hiss! Boo!" for selling you a bullfrog without informing you of the care requirements.

RockinOutAmber

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    For Whites treefrogs see:

Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care

For an American Green treefrog, they are similar in care to Gray treefrogs in care requirements, though from warmer areas and a little smaller and more dainty. Gray treefrog caresheet:

Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care

Gray treefrogs make great pets too if you can obtain them.

Your petstore deserves a great big "Boo! Hiss! Boo!" for selling you a bullfrog without informing you of the care requirements.
    I agree, the petstore does. They never seem to fully explain the care for any animal there. I might buy a tree frog some time in the future. I'll have to do some research this time

Froggiestyle

Quote Originally Posted by RockinOutAmber View Post
    I agree, the petstore does. They never seem to fully explain the care for any animal there.

unfortantly we have the same problem here with people and aquariums.

gives me the s**ts to no end knowing people try raise amphibians when they dont know nothing about.

i went into a aquarium here where i live and the guy had australian banjo tadpole that had there front legs and was trying to find land to get out of the water and i told them and they didnt even seem to care. they have a fully grown australian Green Tree Frog about 7cm in length in a 6 gallon tank with little water and a tree branch floating in the water.

the sad thing was they wanted almost $100 for it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Froggiestyle View Post
    unfortantly we have the same problem here with people and aquariums.

gives me the s**ts to no end knowing people try raise amphibians when they dont know nothing about.

i went into a aquarium here where i live and the guy had australian banjo tadpole that had there front legs and was trying to find land to get out of the water and i told them and they didnt even seem to care. they have a fully grown australian Green Tree Frog about 7cm in length in a 6 gallon tank with little water and a tree branch floating in the water.

the sad thing was they wanted almost $100 for it.
    OMg that is so sad...D: Poor thing I wish I could rescue him! ><

Damn these pet stores you guys, seriously. The way they treat their animals is really deplorable sometimes. I have to commend some PetSmarts near my house though after hearing some horror stories and seeing turtles in such small tanks that they can't even turn around at another local exotics shop....>> At least the PetSmarts/Petcos only house animals that fit in the space they can provide, the local shop I referred too earlier has too many animals packed into too small of a space. It's...pathetic and sad.

Not to mention the knowledge of the associates that work in these stores. I wish I could get hired at one of them so that I could help people who are looking for reptiles/amphibians with what little knowledge I have...

I once went into a pet store down the street, it was locally owned, to ask if they had feeding tongs. The owner asked me what animal I was feeding and what critters I was feeding it, I told him a WTF and crickets, then he went on to lecture me about feeding crickets to frogs is bad because they bite and what I should be feeding him are super/mealworms. :/ I didn't even bother arguing I just left. He was adamant that crickets would kill my frog and I should go on the safer side and feed them worms. When I told him about the chitin content and hard outer shells of the worms he dismissed me and went on...

Super annoying. :/

Make sure you do your research at the right places before buying any frog though, it will do both you and your pets a great disservice not to.
    Last edited by Kisa; March 18th, 2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Froggiestyle

i studyed for about a month before i got frogs and had a tank setup for a week before placing frogs into it.

im looking for some tropical frogs now.

studyed up on this getting a tank twice what they actually need, bigger the better.

and stuff like that dont you just wish they never owned a shop???

mommyof4froglovers

I didn't know what I was doing, when I got my whites tree frog but I did research almost from the beginning and now am looking for a bigger tank for him and looking for info on a northern leopard frog tadpole we are getting next week. That way once the tadpole is a frog his or her aquarium will be ready if not before then because we are trying to find one for it also.

Thread Information