Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Whites Tree Frog

brmbward

Default Sick Whites Tree Frog

First of all, please don't holler at me... I know I screwed up.

I have a Whites Tree Frog, I believe that I inadvertently poisoned it. I had taken it to my daughters school for show and tell. In between bringing it back from school and going home, I went to work for a couple of hours. Something that is pushed hard is the use of hand sanitizers, and I used some while at work.

Back at home, I was talking on the phone and not paying attention to what I was doing. I forgot to wash my hands before I took the tree frog out of the Kritter Keeper to put in his Viv. Before I ever got my hand through the top he turned white and started to seize. I quickly put him down, washed my hands then proceeded to run treated water over him to wash some of it off.

That was appx. 36 hours ago. It's alive now but very weak and it has a milky white substance the boils up under its skin. It just lays flat (occasionally seizing) and calling pitifully to our other Whites Tree Frog (who won't come near the sick one). I have been taking it out every hour and rinsing it off but I'm not sure what to do.

We don't have Vet's who treat amphibians around here.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick Whites Tree Frog

I don't have a remedy, but you should remove him from the enclosure to protect the other Whites.

Post pics and provide more info such as what you may think the frog was poisoned with.
    The more info you provide the better chance someone might have an answer to help you.

Here is the link to the frog first aid article.
    http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...first-aid.html

Good luck
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

4. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Leefrogs

The only thing I'd yell at you fir is not comming on sooner. Get her in some distilled water, I think that's for only like 30 seconds ( not sure) then a drop of honey per ounce of water. Let her soak long in that, this will help with stress and shock. I've only heard of distilled for toxing out. Youll have to look up how long to use distilled, as ive read too long can kill the frog. She's probably drunk from the amount of alcohol in there, and chemical burns.

I'm no expert, but this is what i've summed up, and I hope it works

6. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Leefrogs

Ok I didn't read that on this site, u are going to have to google it. It couldve been a like 10 seconds, I don't remember. I'm sorry. And it may have also said u have to give them a pedialite bath (mixed 10pt water 1 ped, at 70-80 degrees) after to stabalize everyhting that was stripped out of the frog.

8. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

brmbward

Thank You both!

I have pulled the frog and put it in a Kritter Keeper (I honestly don't know if it's a him or a her). I bathed it in distilled water and now it's sitting in honey water.

I will run out here in a bit to get some pedialite. I feel so terrible about this.

I will take some pictures a little later.

Nationality
    [United States]

I truly hope that your frog recovers, please keep us updated. Praying for the little guy/gal!
    God bless,

Laura

11. This member thanks lraulston for this post:

brmbward

Frog update:

Marked improvements!

With the honey-water it began "perking" up and regained green colors in it's back (still dark brown with white small pockets of the milky white substance).

It's been sitting in the pedialite bath for 10 minutes and the rest of it's body is beginning to turn green and it's literally bouncing of the walls of the Kritter Keeper.

Thank You so much!

I will take pictures tomorrow!

Nationality
    [United States]

I am very glad to hear that the frog is doing better!
    God bless,

Laura

14. This member thanks lraulston for this post:

Leefrogs

I'm glad there is improvement. I'm not sure if the keeper is nessieary, since u know its exposure to hand sanitizer and not a comunicable disease. Watch for stages of infection, and separate at that juncture. Foggy eyes, swollen legs or throat, lethargy, and not eating. Those blisters are probably going to break open at some point, I would only neosporin after they abcess. If they stay like closed, I'd leave it. I'd still soak her daily, the honey bath, if infection has started but not abcess, u could try a green tea bath( caffiene free) it has antibacterial properties. you can ward off fungal infection by keeping cage a Lil drier, 50% humidity maybe, and change your substrate, keep it as clean as u can. Hopefully there won't be complications,

Since u have no vet availinle try contanting dr frye, I know he does fecals and meds through the mail. See if he will get u some anibiotics, if not theres the suggestion kurt had on first aide to left.

Dr.frye.dvm@sbcglobal.net

I'm glad he's bouncing all over, sugar fit from that honey, please keep us updated!!!

16. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Leefrogs

Any one here have dosage for medafix, she may need that if the chemical burns abcess. It's a tea tree oil that heals hole in head and finrot in fish. I know u just dip a toothpick in, but can't find how much water?!??

I'm worried about infection on this one......

18. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Great advice Ginger, I'm going to save this thread in the back of mind for future reference.

I'm sorry to hear about your mistake, I don't know what I'd do if this had happened to me...but I'm so glad to hear that the frog is doing better and that Ginger's advice worked for you. Just remember not to blame yourself too much, this is a learning experience for everyone and we all make mistakes. This should help you to be more careful in the future.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

20. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

brmbward

You are all so wonderful to help!
    It's doing much better. I had it (I feel so silly calling the poor frog it) in a Keeper over night.

I don't see the white mucous-y spots now. But it the green color isn't coming in in full either (it looks like the frog is covered in moss). I'm going to watch carefully for signs of infection and give it another pedialite bath tonight.

Attached are a couple of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Leefrogs

I have no idea bout the moss texture to the skin, a few sheds and we should see what it's like under. I'm glad the puss is gone, and the seizures. I hope she eats, and then we can expect a full recovery, just worried bout infection.

Very gratefull theres improvment in a short time.

U should name it lucky, or purell

Nationality
    [United States]

Glad to hear that the frog is still doing better.
    God bless,

Laura

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You all are better than WEB MD :-)

Nice.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Leefrogs

Thanks, every1. But I couldn't stand by for more experienced peep to speek up, as critical time was being lost. I'm affraid Lucky wouldve been dead by morning. I'm still worried about the dark legs, but maybe this is the path the poison is taking to exit the body. Male sure to supliment calcium and vitamins, sometimes nutrition can help pull some out also. I'm still waiting on word of appitite, sometimes these kinds if things can cause kidney or liver damage, and intestinal problems. She may have the runs or get impacted.

I've tried to read as much as I can because I live in an area like her, no vets at all. I'd have to drive 5 hours (one way) to Madison or millwaukee (6 h)

26. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh those pictures really paint in the details...D:

I don't really have any advice for you other than what you've been given, which are all great recommendations. All I can do is hope for the best in this case. If the frog's skin is damaged it may impede it's ability to absorb moisture. I hope it heals soon. ><
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

28. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

brmbward

Update:
    Lucky has no appetite, I applied a thin coating of neosporin this morning, and Lucky is currently sitting in a pedialite bath. Lucky's coloring has not changed from that in the previously posted pictures.

Ginger, you area lifesaver (literally!), thank you all for your support and advise.

I will be contacting Dr. Frye tomorrow. There are what appear to be small chemical burns near the hind quarters (3 small sores).

I still feel so terrible. I think I will keep Lucky out of the Viv/Terrarium until those sores heal.

brmbward

How would I supplement calcium/vitamins if Lucky isn't eating? Can a I make a dilution to spray her with?

Leefrogs

the pedialite is going to give her all she needs for now. I hope she's still active, and not sleeping in water all day. If she gets up to sleep and wakes up at normal time, this us a good sign. I don't know about putting vitamins in her water, she might have tummy trouble, and that would further irritate. Sometimes waxworms can entise a sick frog to eat. Any kind at Walmart or bait shop are fine. Hold them by the head and they'll swing around wildly. Once your frog becomes framiliar with them they will eat the slow moving worms without u piching.
    Good luck with dr frye, send him a picture in your email with all the details. I think of u both everyday, and thank you for the updates!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information