Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Frogs Came!!!

Geofrog707

Default My Frogs Came!!!

My White Tree Frogs have come! They are so small and awesome and epic and great!! Although... I almost threw one of them out thinking it went inside the enclosure, it stayed in the little box and I almost trashed the little guy. I would of been depressed for years.. But they are here! A green one and a darker brownish looking one. Something very odd happened though and the springtails I ordered for them (which I am glad I ordered a small bug just in case because there is NO way they could fit even a cricket into those mouths) somehow turned into rice flower things. I don't know what really happened, a screw up with the order I guess. But they look like they are the right size, but I have no idea how to culture them. Any advice.. ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: My Frogs Came!!!

Awsome, no Picts though!!
    I think u just put springtails in viv and they grow.
    And no matter how small your whites u get them crix, just small 2 to 4 week old ones.
    My 1" white (opal) can down 6 week old crix, and u have to give vitamins and calcium.

Geofrog707

I know Springtails do, but do Rice Flour beetles..? And yea, I would get the small ones but the petstore nearest our house (others are 30 or more minutes away) only sells pretty large ones. I don't want to waste the Rice Flour beetles either so what do I do..?

And sorry, I will get pics soon hopefully, I need my sisters cell phone and she is at a friend's house.

Leefrogs

I have no idea bout the beetles. Goigle that part. Sorry.

Go buy what size crix are availible, sort smaller from larger. U should have no problem. Buy 3 tubs, not crix keepers, put larger ones in with a short cup of moist dirt and start your own colony. If u put eggs on heating pad on low, they will hatch in days, in 2/3 weeks you'll have feeders. You do need crix gel, as babies will easily drown. Good food recipie on culturing crix article. Buy some canned crix, feeding tweezers, and wax worms.
    just in case they don't eat bigger crix.

It would help if you'd say what size your frogs are, 1/2" 1"?!??!

And u can't just seed cage with springtails and not feed them. You need crickets!!

6. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Geofrog707

We found some, we just decided to go buy some and they had some smaller ones in the back. They seem like a good size and hopefully my frogs will eat them at night. And yes, I do have cricket gel as well as some cricket food. I didn't know making a colony was that easy though, the instructions online are confusing. Anyway the LLLreptile lady (who was really nice btw, they have awesome customer service because they were really nice last time too) said that all the beetles needed were the flour they were already in. And I know, I was planning to still buy crickets, but the springtails were for a "just incase" thing if the crickets at my local pet store were too big, and I had to go a while away to buy some more. But everything seems well now. Thanks for your help! I would give you more rep if I could!

Leefrogs

Crix are quite easy, I'm sitting on about 600-1000? Allot!! They love fish food, seaweed, and the mix u find on directions to left. If u don't incubate, they take two weeks to hatch. I over did it on breeders a bit, but I put the small ones in a shot glass or baby food jar, and let my Lil one dive in. That should thin the herd a bit.

Each female has 50-100 eggs!! I use food containers for babies, and 3 week olds, like a 2 gal lasanga type, and 2 big 5 gal tubs for bigger ones. Just feed water and clean. Easypeasy!! When dirt dries out, just spray again. My dirt w/ eggs dried everyday, just keep spraying, they'll hatch.

bshmerlie

Gingerlee I think its great that you are out there helping to dispel the myth that these things are hard to do. For me it was fruit flies. They are super easy but I was afraid to do it for the longest time. All you need is encouragement.

10. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Congrats on the new White's! I can't wait to see them, try to get some pictures up soon. And listen to Ginger, you can definitely trust her advice.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

12. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

Geofrog707

More news on them! I thought I lost one and I was totally freaking out all day today. I mean I was scared, I thought it was dead in the house somewhere I searched every part of the higher area of the terrarium and could only find the smaller one. Then I read online that sometimes they burrow because of too less humidity or too much heat and I decided to look on the ground. I still couldn't find it so I just decided to hold the smaller for a while and maybe try and get him/her used to me. Then as I was putting him (I am just gonna call him male from now on) back, I saw the bigger one (I will call this one the female until I figure out what they really are) looking to see what was going on. The reason we couldn't find her is that she CHANGED colors to brown in one night!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looked so cool!!!!!! She was lying on the ground perfectly blended in, like a little chameleon. I will get pictures soon! I would of taken them earlier but I wanted to see if the bigger one turned up first. Thanks for all your advice and well wishes

Leefrogs

They are tricky Lil buggers. Just some advice, if they find a spot and u disturb them, they will usually fine a new one. Lump, my brown, always finds a way to dissapear on me. I'd need a dentist mirror on a flexible intena to find him. And I have kermit, that's green all day then brown at night, and lump who's brown all day and green at night. Like ying and yang. Have fun, but try to let them settle, even if u think they escaped!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Congrats on the new Whites. They are awesome frogs. They will amaze you and soon you'll forget you bought a TV.

Can't wait to see pics.

Gingerlee, you should do a how to on breeding crickets. I just picked up 1000 and put them in a large storage container. Added 1/2 potato and a pile of cricket drink. Any help would be appreciated in getting them to breed.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Leefrogs

thanks Don, but no. Seperate like 10 of each sex if u want 1,000 babies, dirt in a short pot, 10 days, lots if spritzing and eggs hatch--- 2 weeks at room temp, and if yr in a rush, put dirt cup (covered) on top of one of your hoods and they hatch in days. Really, they do all the work!!!

17. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Geofrog707

Here are some VERY bad quality pictures, I am sorry about that. lol
    The bigger one who keeps changing colors and went missing earlier today, lol

The smaller one who is pretty timid still.

Kurt

Congrats.

20. This member thanks Kurt for this post:

Leefrogs

They look to be just under an inch. Very adorable!! And colors on their legs are nice n bright!! They'll be beauties, hope they eat well for you, and grow, grow, grow!! Mine grew bout1/2 inch in the first month. You'll be amazed. And wait till the first time they make noise, even at an inch, it's so skweekey and cute!!! Croak at them before u feed and soon they'll be talking to you bout dinner time. Smart Lil buggers, enjoy!!!

22. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Geofrog707

Thanks! And haha, I will keep that in mind Lee. I just hope no one overhears me and thinks I am going insane...

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    They look to be just under an inch. Very adorable!! And colors on their legs are nice n bright!! They'll be beauties, hope they eat well for you, and grow, grow, grow!! Mine grew bout1/2 inch in the first month. You'll be amazed. And wait till the first time they make noise, even at an inch, it's so skweekey and cute!!! Croak at them before u feed and soon they'll be talking to you bout dinner time. Smart Lil buggers, enjoy!!!
    Its good to know Im not the only one who talks to their frogs.

Geofrog707

Oh, and does anyone have any idea on how old these guys are..?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Very cute! ><

My guess is a few weeks. I'm not sure on the growth rate of these frogs, but if a nine month old is 1 1/2 to 2 inches I'd say they're less than a month. Please correct me if I'm mistaken though I'm not sure about these things, it's just an educated guess. O:

My little one is just about an inch and a half now, I'll have had him for one month on the nineteenth of this month.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

27. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

Geofrog707

Ok thanks Kisa! By the way I am gonna try and buy the purple lights you advised from Exo-Terra so I can watch them at night without burning their eyes occasionally by turning on the light. lol I also learned that they can't really see the crickets, so I am gonna have to tong-feed them. I am a learnin'!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information