Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: They have arrived! Phyllomedusa Tomopterna!

Geofrog707

Default Re: They have arrived! Phyllomedusa Tomopterna!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    So I have updates regarding the honey bath. Some good news and some bad...

I got the frogs out of their viv and into their box with almost no problems. Artemis went first and as soon as I got her off my hand she curled up on the floor of the box and went to sleep so I left her with my friend for a moment and went to get her brother...

I got Apollo on to my hand and over to the box with no problems. He didn't even open his eyes until I reached the vanity area where I do all my frog first aide, it's right outside my room. Once he opened his eyes I put him in the box and he followed his sisters example.

I poured the water in and made sure their noses were above it, though it was hard to tell at times...Anyway, they both sat in the water fine for a few moments and then Apollo woke up abruptly and went straight for the escape. Since they were so quiet and still I though they'd just sit there and didn't put the lid back on so we could look at them...I really hadn't gotten a good look since they came in their box on Thursday...anyway. I ended up having to grab Apollo because he got to the lip of the box before we could get the lid back on and as I tried to get him off my hand he wouldn't cooperate. I held him above the bottom of the box and twisted my hand so he would be inclined to walk into the water. Unfortunately it didn't go down like that.

The twist wasn't violent and I was moving my hand as slowly as possible so I didn't freak him out more than I had too. He ended up falling off of my hand, not a very long way and landing in the water. Suddenly he went flat on his belly, spread his legs out and started to have a seizure. In a panic I stood motionless for a moment trying to register what was happening, then I grabbing him up and he was back to normal. He gripped the wall and started to climb it, this time we got the lid on before he could make an escape. From then on he moved around the sides of the box, eyes wide and bright, moving normally...I don't even really know what happened...

I placed them back in their viv and they seem fine, they're awake and alert. Artemis went into the water bowl for a bit and Apollo is sitting in the back right corner on a leaf, motionless for now but he looks healthy.

My concern is the seizure type thing that happened. I'm beating myself up over this...I know it wasn't directly my fault but I was scared and that probably made his stress worse. I would hate it if this was a real problem...

My friend thinks this is some sort of defense mechanism. Could this be right? It's what I want to believe...he seems fine now, I just hope it stays that way.

The good news is the honey bath seems to have worked, at least they're not sleeping anyway.

Thanks for reading...

@ Kel: I am still very happy with the service I received from Mike Novy. It is no fault of his that the frogs were lethargic, it was probably the shipping and being on the plane that messed them up...Sorry, I'm trying to be light hearted but I feel terrible. ><

Thanks for the compliments, they are really gorgeous, I just hope I haven't done anything to hurt them. ><

One of my old dart frogs had that same situation happen with him I think. I am kind of reassured by the fact that it has happened to someone else before. It didn't seem like it affected him much and it seemed like they were stopping. One day he went missing though and I thought he was just hiding well. He had another little "seizure" and died from it. It wasn't the seizure that killed him though, it where he had it.. He was probably on the glass over his little pool (well it was pretty big which I put there for humidity reasons) and had it while I was at school. He drowned from it I found out because his legs were in his little "seizure position" and he was in the water.. The water was about an inch deep and I I tested it out when I first got the frogs by putting them in it to see if they could swim ok. They swam fine in it but I probably shouldn't of done it anyway. Then I got paranoid and took the water feature out. This was very stupid because I didn't plan ahead what would happen with the humidity. Later I found the other two frogs dead and dry.. It was my worst pet failure yet I think, I felt horrible. I didn't even make use of the 300$ set-up and buy more. I also refused to get any more pet frogs for a long while. I also think the fruit flies were too large for them and I should of planned ahead and bought springtails..

Ok sorry about that whole rant, what I was trying to tell you was that I had a similar problem and although my frog did die from it, it wasn't the seizure itself that killed him. I think your frog will be ok, just make sure there isn't any water in it (which you probably already did ahead of time because you are probably more responsibly than me) that the frog can stand up in it. Sorry for the huge message as well, lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

To be honest...I don't know. I've tried a moonlight and they don't wake up. If I leave them in complete darkness they are all up within the first hour. Then I turn on a small blue LED and feed them. I've tried different things and you should do so as well. Ideally you don't want to have to wait till after midnight until they wake up. Let them settle in first and get use to a routine.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Geofrog707 View Post
    One of my old dart frogs had that same situation happen with him I think. I am kind of reassured by the fact that it has happened to someone else before. It didn't seem like it affected him much and it seemed like they were stopping. One day he went missing though and I thought he was just hiding well. He had another little "seizure" and died from it. It wasn't the seizure that killed him though, it where he had it.. He was probably on the glass over his little pool (well it was pretty big which I put there for humidity reasons) and had it while I was at school. He drowned from it I found out because his legs were in his little "seizure position" and he was in the water.. The water was about an inch deep and I I tested it out when I first got the frogs by putting them in it to see if they could swim ok. They swam fine in it but I probably shouldn't of done it anyway. Then I got paranoid and took the water feature out. This was very stupid because I didn't plan ahead what would happen with the humidity. Later I found the other two frogs dead and dry.. It was my worst pet failure yet I think, I felt horrible. I didn't even make use of the 300$ set-up and buy more. I also refused to get any more pet frogs for a long while. I also think the fruit flies were too large for them and I should of planned ahead and bought springtails..

Ok sorry about that whole rant, what I was trying to tell you was that I had a similar problem and although my frog did die from it, it wasn't the seizure itself that killed him. I think your frog will be ok, just make sure there isn't any water in it (which you probably already did ahead of time because you are probably more responsibly than me) that the frog can stand up in it. Sorry for the huge message as well, lol
    Awe that's ok, I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. All of us make mistakes with our first frogs, some more influential than others unfortunately. Hopefully though we learn from those mistakes and make better ones in the future.

I don't think I'll be having the "seizure" problem again, or not much if it does happen to occur again. The breeder said it was nothing I should worry about and he's seen the same thing before, so I'm not as worried about it now as before, especially since both of the frogs seem to be doing well. Thanks for sharing your story though, it helps to hear other's experiences, good and bad. <3
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    To be honest...I don't know. I've tried a moonlight and they don't wake up. If I leave them in complete darkness they are all up within the first hour. Then I turn on a small blue LED and feed them. I've tried different things and you should do so as well. Ideally you don't want to have to wait till after midnight until they wake up. Let them settle in first and get use to a routine.
    Hmm Ok, maybe all frogs are different? I may be getting an Albino Red Eye in the future, I'll have to experiment and do some research so I know what to expect.

The routine is exactly what I did with my White's I found it took Mr. Campbell longer to get used to the routine because of his illness but Mr. Wayne took about 4 and a half weeks before he was awake either right before or right after lights out. Last Night the Tomops were up a little more than thirty minutes after lights out, I might time them tonight and see if it changes or fluctuates.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

bshmerlie

You'll find frogs really like routine.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    You'll find frogs really like routine.
    Haha I think I have found that Cheri. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information