Thread: His nose again...

Nationality
    [United States]

Default His nose again...

I posted here a while back because Nugget, my young whites had a red spot on his nose. Thought it could have been a cricket bite or from careless and enthusiastic feeding. Anyways, I kept an eye on it and it healed in a few days. This morning when I checked him I noticed the spot was back, just a red spot and a little larger than before. Do you suggest I carefully put neosporin on it and keep an eye on it? Just makes me nervous that it is so close to his little nostrils. He is in a 12 12 18 exo terra with paper towels as substrate still and temps 80-85F at top. I am having a hard time keeping humidity up above 50%, so I am just spraying often. Also, the last 2 days he has been sleeping in the top corner above a branch. Could he be rubbing his nose? I don't have anything larger to put him in until he gets large enough to put in with my larger Whites. He is still a little guy. Thanks. I don't want to freak out, but I do want to catch this little spot early and make sure it heals and stays infection free.
    God bless,

Laura

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: His nose again...

Awe poor little guy... ): Do you think you could post some pictures of the bumps? It would be a lot easier for experts to diagnose or give you advice if they could see them.

I'd say for now keep a close watch on the progression of the bumps, size, color, etc. and watch his behavior very closely. If he seems less active than usual, depressed, stops eating, or has cloudy eyes, these are signs of infection. The bumps could be small cricket bites, I've never seen any before myself first hand, but if they're small and don't seem to be too irritating I would hold off on the neosporin for now. It's always best to treat when you're sure of something, putting neosporin on the wounds could prevent infection but it could also irritate your frog's skin or cause them undue stress. If the bumps don't go away or seem to be healing within a few days, then neosporin WITHOUT pain reliever is the way to go. I used it on my White's when he developed some deep scratches on one of his legs and it helped the wounds to heal faster while not complicating his other symptoms. Also, with humidity, White's can withstand pretty harsh conditions, and if you want to avoid infection a good thing to do would be to keep it a little dry in the tank. So between 40-50% humidity would be ideal for aiding a barrier against infection, bacteria breeds in wet places. Also upping the temp just a few degrees could help fight off any bacteria, that's what I did with my big guy when he was sick and I think it aided in his recovery.

How big is he currently? I have one adult and one baby White's. My big guys is a little over three inches and my little guy is about 1 1/2 inches, I plan on keeping both of them in my big guy's 18x18x24 Exo Terra (though he has been rubbing his face on the glass and looking a bit restless lately, I feel like he's got a TON of space in there with just himself...frogs can be weird sometimes) when my little guy gets big enough.

But anyway, try to post some pics of the injuries and your set up so that others can get a better idea of what's going on.

Another thing: How many crickets do you feed him and how often? Do you put them directly into his tank or do you tong feed or bring him our to feed him? Maybe keeping a closer eye on the behavior of the crickets could be beneficial as well, I know some can be quite aggressive.

Hope this helps, I'll keep your little guy in my thoughts.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi lraulston,

Sorry to hear his sore nose is back. Kisa has given you a good advise. If you are concerned you should ring your local vet concerning the neosporin. keep us updated, good luck

Nationality
    [United States]

When I fed Nugget tonight I took a couple pictures of his nose. There is a small red spot next to the larger one between his nostrils. This is how it was before and it healed well but I wish I knew what is was from so I could prevent it I want to be a good frog Mommy! I supervise his feedings for the most part, however I did not a couple of nights ago. He gets 3 or so "smaller" large crickets every night (a few nights missed on occasion here and there) depending on their size. He is very active and hungry 24/7. Took some cute pics of him stalking his crickets tonight. Let me know what you think of his nose. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    God bless,

Laura

Narroj

your frog looks healthy, i wouldn't stress to hard on a bump

Quote Originally Posted by lraulston View Post
    I posted here a while back because Nugget, my young whites had a red spot on his nose. Thought it could have been a cricket bite or from careless and enthusiastic feeding. Anyways, I kept an eye on it and it healed in a few days. This morning when I checked him I noticed the spot was back, just a red spot and a little larger than before. Do you suggest I carefully put neosporin on it and keep an eye on it? Just makes me nervous that it is so close to his little nostrils. He is in a 12 12 18 exo terra with paper towels as substrate still and temps 80-85F at top. I am having a hard time keeping humidity up above 50%, so I am just spraying often. Also, the last 2 days he has been sleeping in the top corner above a branch. Could he be rubbing his nose? I don't have anything larger to put him in until he gets large enough to put in with my larger Whites. He is still a little guy. Thanks. I don't want to freak out, but I do want to catch this little spot early and make sure it heals and stays infection free.
    I would place him in the same tank as your other whites. For one, from the pictures you showed on a previous post, he isn't that much smaller. I have two whites and three green tree frogs in the same terrarium, and the whites have never tried to eat the GTFs. If the frog's are fed enough, they shouldn't try to eat one another.

EDIT: Plus, From what I am finally learning, it is best to leave frogs alone and allow them to heal themselves. They do just fine in the wild without any human intervention. So, as long as the humidity and lighting are fine, then the frog should be as well.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I agree with Narroj, from these pictures little Nugget seems to be alright, besides the bumps on his nose. His eyes are bright and clear, his skin looks healthy and is a good color and if there are no other blemishes, he should heal on his own.

There is a possibility that this is just a harmless reoccurring phenomena. I would just let him be in his old tank with the other White's, but watch him closely to make sure he remains healthy-looking. If you notice any skin abnormalities or cloudiness in his eyes it could be a sign of infection, but right now I'd say you have little to fear.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks, it seems to be healing well again. He is eating like a horse and acting like his normal self. I will move him in with my other White's just as soon as he is big enough
    God bless,

Laura

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lraulston View Post
    Thanks, it seems to be healing well again. He is eating like a horse and acting like his normal self. I will move him in with my other White's just as soon as he is big enough
    I'm glad to hear he's shown improvement! Great for you and Nugget. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

gtr319

Marshy has the same thing on her nose... what do I need to do? She is living by herself and there isn't anything that can injure her as her tank is pretty much a naked tank with no plants and all...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Could it be a cricket bite? As far as I know they aren't common but a cricket could have bit her while she was eating it or before she pounced?
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

gtr319

@ Brit: Honestly, I have no idea... I just recently spot that... but she goes after those crickets HARD.. I usually get 15 and they be gone the same night... and shes not eating much this week, I am wondering if it is because of the wound, the aquarium sponge as her substrate, or she is close to shed (she sheded last night, almost gave me a heart attack + stroke... shes like shes gonna barf and all...)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gtr319 View Post
    @ Brit: Honestly, I have no idea... I just recently spot that... but she goes after those crickets HARD.. I usually get 15 and they be gone the same night... and shes not eating much this week, I am wondering if it is because of the wound, the aquarium sponge as her substrate, or she is close to shed (she sheded last night, almost gave me a heart attack + stroke... shes like shes gonna barf and all...)
    How old is your White's? I'm assuming young because you said you feed her fifteen crickets...was that per night or per week?

It could be that she is close to shedding but if it has gone on a few days I doubt that's the reason, it doesn't take White's that long to make a complete shed and they should be doing it every two or three days.

I know what you mean about freaking out when you see them shed for the first time. I was so scared the first time I watched my White's do it I thought he was choking and pulled the skin out of his mouth in the middle. >< Later I realized it was just shedding and I had denied him of essential vitamins, so I felt bad, but now that I'm educated everything's ok. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

gtr319

She eats 15 per week, and she is three years old... Yeah, she had been active lately so I try not to freak out alot

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gtr319 View Post
    She eats 15 per week, and she is three years old... Yeah, she had been active lately so I try not to freak out alot
    I see...alright I was just curious. How long have you had her?
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

gtr319

A couple of months

Thread Information