Thread: Some General Questions

Ostyn

Default Some General Questions

Hey, today I got my very first Pacman frog. Had the Exo-terra substrade, tons of plants, and some crickets (with the calcium supplement). The pet store was going to just "throw" him away because they've had him for six months and no one bought him, so i did for $10.
    Anyhow, i know petstore frogs can be injured and what-not, so i just had some general questions...

I got him home and he readily ate five crickets, is that enough for one day?
    Is it normal for pacmans to every 5-10 minutes turn about 90 degrees in a circle?
    And lastly, it looks like he breathes very irregularly. He wont ever have a steady breath, it changes quite frequently. Is that normal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kevin1

Default Re: Some General Questions

I would feed him as much as he would eat within 15 minutes as John recommends for pyxies.
    The 90 degree thing sounds a bit off but maybe He's just weary of his new surroundings.
    My frogs don't really have a steady breathing pattern like humans do. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Animalnstinct

Default Re: Some General Questions

I've noticed my guys doing the quick 90 degree turns when they are still hungry and are looking for food. My ornate pacman does this more then any of the others, but sure enough after some more food and a fuller belly he chills.

How big is your little guy?

With my feedings I started by throwing in a good amount of crickets in at night and then pulled the left overs out in the morning and counted how many they didn't eat. I used the number of many they ate to determine how many to throw in with them as a base number. I then adjust the number based on how their body weight looks, if they any or a lot of left overs, and if they have grown.

I don't feed them daily, but it's probably a good idea to do at first until you get a better idea of what your specific frogs feedings will be. Currently mine are being fed every 2-3 days and they generally eat the whole amount I put in, with occasionally 1 - 3 crickets left. I also give them other "treats" on top of the crickets as well, such as worms.

I would suggest keeping track of their feedings and mainly adjust it based on how they react and make sure they aren't looking to thin or morbidly obese.

Would love to see pictures of your pacman if you have some!

Thread Information