Thread: Bumblebee toads ~ eating question.

Charis

Default Bumblebee toads ~ eating question.

What all has everyone with experience with these had success feeding to bumblebee toads? Crickets, especially little ones can be hard to come by around here, so I wanted to know what else they like, to give a variety. I know fruit flies are recommended but they are also a bit difficult to get here. Might possibly order some, once I've had a chance to look into how hard they are to culture. I read that they would eat waxworms, so that is what my new toad has been getting so far. He has been eating them very well. Is it best to mix up their diet or is a steady supply of something best?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Bumblebee toads ~ eating question.

Offering a variety of food is always best. Your main food to your toad should be fruit flies at this point. If you are having trouble finding them locally call Joshs Frogs right away at 800-691-8178. He offers fruit fly cultures, the mix, cups with lids, anything you could possibly need to make your own. The best thing about Josh is he'll take the time to talk to you and walk you through the whole process. It really can't be easier. Once you get started with one culture of flies you start up another container of mix add about 50 flies from your original container and within 10-15 days you have a whole new colony of flies. The container will produce for about three to five weeks giving you a ton of flies. Start up a new culture every 15 days and you'll have more flies than you know what to do with. I guess you'll have to get more frogs. Check out our recent discussion in the feeder section of the forum called Fruit Fly easy mix. We talk about a simple just add water mix or recipes to simply make your own mix. But call Joshs frogs to get your first culture of flies and any needed supples to get you going. I can't stress enough on how easy it really is and once you're going its a super cheap food source. Also pick up a container of the vitamins and calcium your gonna need to dust your flies with before you feed them to your frog. It help to make sure he's getting a balanced diet. Tell Josh Cheri from frog forum sent you ...he'll hook you up with everything you need. Good luck.

4. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Charis View Post
    What all has everyone with experience with these had success feeding to bumblebee toads? Crickets, especially little ones can be hard to come by around here, so I wanted to know what else they like, to give a variety. I know fruit flies are recommended but they are also a bit difficult to get here. Might possibly order some, once I've had a chance to look into how hard they are to culture. I read that they would eat waxworms, so that is what my new toad has been getting so far. He has been eating them very well. Is it best to mix up their diet or is a steady supply of something best?
    Hi Charis. I own a BBWT and they are voracious eaters for their small size. So it's important to provide your toad with food that the little one can get on a daily basis. You can feed them pinhead crickets, but these can easily hide. And feeding pinheads can be more expensive.

Like Cheri said, fruit flies will be our best bet. For your BBWT, you want D. melanogaster. I feed mine the flightless type. Once you have a culture, it will be very easy to make new ones. You may want to refer to our Fruit Fly Culturing or right back if you want more info. Again, your toad eats a lot for its size!

6. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

Charis

Since I'm lazy, I'm going cut and paste some of the questions I had in my intro here, most of them are on feeding.

"I researched them as much as I could before buying it but still have a few questions. Guess it's okay to post them in my intro? The one I have looks at least half grown, if not mostly grown. Exactly how much am I supposed to be feeding it? I've read that they eat a lot, that babies should be fed every day and adults less often but I'm still confused as to how much that actually means? If the frog is alone and male, will it call anyway, or do they only do that if a mate is near?"

So fruit flies are a good staple, what else is good to vary their diet with, aside from crickets?
    Thanks for the replies so far!

clownonfire

Since I'm lazy, I'm going cut and paste some of the questions I had in my intro here, most of them are on feeding.

"I researched them as much as I could before buying it but still have a few questions. Guess it's okay to post them in my intro? The one I have looks at least half grown, if not mostly grown. Exactly how much am I supposed to be feeding it? I've read that they eat a lot, that babies should be fed every day and adults less often but I'm still confused as to how much that actually means? If the frog is alone and male, will it call anyway, or do they only do that if a mate is near?"

So fruit flies are a good staple, what else is good to vary their diet with, aside from crickets?
    Thanks for the replies so far!

Would it be possible for you to post pictures? It would give me an idea of the age of your BBWT. You can determine by it's coloring how old it might be. The less yellow they have, the younger it us generally. For feeding, put more than less. If you have pinheads, add a few each day (4-5). Because pinheads will hide in the substrate, you could separate the enclosure to monitor if your toad actually eats. They are voracious eaters for a frog of that size. They will eat much more than what my thumbnail frogs will eat. When you will be feeding fruit flies, just drop a good number. Around 20-25/day and look how much you have left each day.

The big difference between pinheads and fruit flies is that the latter will not stress your frog if some are left. Pinheads can be more stressful as they will follow or climb your frog. Once you know how many pinheads your frog will eat, put the same amount each day. But it will be much easier for you and your toad once you start feeding it FF. You could always feed it springtails too. They are tiny and if your toad is still juvenile, it will enjoy them.

Charis

These are the only pictures I have so far. I guess for size reference, I have small hands and wear a size 2 ring on my pinkie. Which probably doesn't help much.

clownonfire

Beautiful little bugger! Well, I think it's a young adult, not a year yet. Feed him more than less, as mentioned in the previous comment.

Where did you get it?

Eric

11. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

Charis

Went into a Petco fairly close to where I live and they had just gotten a few of them in. They have never had them before, that I'd seen. I had about four hours to research them online before having to decide whether to get one or not, so I know less about them than I like with a new pet. But I had everything habitat wise that was needed already and the article by Seth Doty said they could eat other things than crickets, my main concern, so I went for it.

jkooiman

They love termites.JVK

clownonfire

Went into a Petco fairly close to where I live and they had just gotten a few of them in. They have never had them before, that I'd seen. I had about four hours to research them online before having to decide whether to get one or not, so I know less about them than I like with a new pet. But I had everything habitat wise that was needed already and the article by Seth Doty said they could eat other things than crickets, my main concern, so I went for it.
    Seth article was my reference, it was very useful when I first got my Bumble bee walking toad. I feed pinhead crickets to mine occasionally, but mostly fruit flies. I'm telling you, once you get your few cultures going, it's a piece of cake. And it's much more economical!

Nationality
    [United States]

I've found that wingless melanogaster work well for young bumble bee toads, while adult bumble bee toads prefer hydei fruit flies. Check out the Josh's Frogs care sheet on bumble bee toads:

Josh's Frogs How-To Guides » Blog Archive » Bumble Bee Toad Care and Breeding
    Josh's Frogs - Herps, Feeders, and all the Reptile Supplies you need! Same day shipping (800)691-8178

Thread Information