Thread: Toad hibernating: how do I care for him?

tcsunshine

Default Toad hibernating: how do I care for him?

I know that sounds like a stipid question. But when he slowed his eating down about three weeks ago, i started getting concerned. I thought he had something wrong with his mouth or tongue so I took him to a vet that specializes in amphibians. She said he looks great, his temp was normal and he just needed calcium dust that we need to shake n bake the crickets in. Te problem is that he hasn't been interested in eating crickets or mealworms at all. I haven't seen him eat anything since 2 weeks ago. He just has been huddling in the hut he has in his 5 gal terrarium. He has moss for substrate and we keep it damp and moist in there with a dish of water for him to go into which gets changed daily. He usually takes a bath in it but he hasn't been interested in that either. A few days ago, he started closing his eyes with a bottom eyelid and he became pretty non-responsive. When I picked him up, I thought he was dead but he was alive because I did see him breathing but it was really hard to tell. Right before he went into full hibernation, he make a few little chirping sounds which is rare for him to do anyway. What I'm concerned about is that he didn't bury himself deep enough into the substrate and his head keeps getting dry. I covered his head with moss now and i continue to spray everything down but I'm concerned. What temperature should I keep the tank and should I bury him in something different? Please help Buddy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information