Thread: Red eyed tree frog soon to be illegal in Canada?

fruitloop

Default Red eyed tree frog soon to be illegal in Canada?

I was told today that if I plan on getting any Red Eyed tree frogs that I better get them soon because they will soon be illegal to import to Canada because the species is becoming extinct. Is this true...anyone know anything about this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Red eyed tree frog soon to be illegal in Canada?

no, but I'm suprised the list isn't ALLOT longer.

Jace

I have not heard of this myself, but some species of frogs/toads and reptiles are becoming harder and harder to import into Canada because Canada has changed its laws on "exotic" animals. Unless you can find a national breeder, it may be difficult because of that reason. I know where I work, we can order in RETF, but only by special order and the order assumes all risk of the frog making it or not during transit. I will look more into this though, as now I am curious as well.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    I was told today that if I plan on getting any Red Eyed tree frogs that I better get them soon because they will soon be illegal to import to Canada because the species is becoming extinct. Is this true...anyone know anything about this?
    Red Eyes are not becoming extinct. In fact they are of Least Concern on the IUCN Red list of threatened or endangered animals. They have a wide distribution better than a lot of tree frogs. But habitat destruction is taking its toll. 20,000 red eyes are imported into the US annually. As a hobby we should cut down that number. TONY just needs to step up production.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Red Eyes are not becoming extinct. In fact they are of Least Concern on the IUCN Red list of threatened or endangered animals. They have a wide distribution better than a lot of tree frogs. But habitat destruction is taking its toll. 20,000 red eyes are imported into the US annually. As a hobby we should cut down that number. TONY just needs to step up production.
    Working on it! The entire genus Agalychnis was recently placed on CITES Appendix II, supposedly to protect A. annae and A. moreletii. The argument was that it was too difficult to distinguish the 5 recognized species so they all needed to be protected equally. I find this a bit suspicious since A. annae is endemic to a country that does not allow any exports (Costa Rica), and A. moreletii is easy to recognize with its solid black eyes. Anyone with open eyes and half a brain shouldn't have any difficulty identifying which species are which, but I guess I may be giving too much credit to the fish and wildlife inspectors to think that they are so equipped. I don't know Canada's policy on importing CITES species, but if they have tightened their restrictions then that may be the source of the rumor.

adamdefreitas

It all has to do with the CITES. The last few shipments just came in. I grabbed 0.0.10 adults on saturday. Im pretty sure I got at least 3 Females in the bunch so im excited!!!
    With all the tree forgs I got on the go right now, I think Im just gonna sell my group of bumble bee toads and just focus on tree frogs.

bshmerlie

If Canada is stopping the imports of the popular Red Eye Leaf Frogs I hope there is a concentrated effort to get enough hobbiest to breed them so that future generations of hobbiest have a large enough pool to work with within the country. I know Tony has had great success breeding them and would be a great source of information. Work together guys to make the lack of imports eventualy insignificant.

Brisch

The Canadian government is truly pissing me off! I also keep fish, and it has become so hard for me to acquire some species that its ridiculous. I have paid hundreds of dollars and then had to pay hundreds more once they arrive. Canadian borders need to loosen up a little bit, at least regarding animals. Although I do agree that 8' boas ect are an unnecessary thing to import. Just my two cents.

Brie

BG

CB is the answer. Some of these laws are just plain old stupid and don't make sense. I live in NYC ,Queens and the laws are so different just over the border a few miles away.Boro to county is a big difference . Don't feel bad,we cant have nothing here in NY except goldfish .lol , and thats what i only keep..

Thread Information