Thread: Cork Panels & Vivs

clownonfire

Default Cork Panels & Vivs

While visiting the Azureus breeder Dendrolaval, I noticed that most of his vivs had natural compressed cork panels as background. They were of course covered with ficus and moss, as they were a few years old. Olivier told me he preferred using cork to any other medium as it was excellent for humidity. He admitted that it took a while before it looked pretty, but by the look of his enclosures, it was worth the wait.

As anyone tried or is using cork panels in their dart frogs vivariums? I will be investing in a 50 gallon tank next week, and I think this one will be corked... Simply to try something different than clay and foam/silicone.

Eric

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Cork Panels & Vivs

Eric,

I looked at one of those premade cork backgrounds the other day. It was the wrong size for my Zoo Med 1818x24 unit so did not get one. It looks ok and I can see that it would take some time to get the natural mossy look on one. Maybe by mixing up one of those moss mixtures and applying it to the background would speed things up. But you can't beat the natural look once they are established.

The other issue was they seem expensive and it might set you back a pretty penny to cover a rear wall.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM670 View Post
    Eric,

I looked at one of those premade cork backgrounds the other day. It was the wrong size for my Zoo Med 1818x24 unit so did not get one. It looks ok and I can see that it would take some time to get the natural mossy look on one. Maybe by mixing up one of those moss mixtures and applying it to the background would speed things up. But you can't beat the natural look once they are established.

The other issue was they seem expensive and it might set you back a pretty penny to cover a rear wall.
    They are expensive, but like most things for frogs you find in a pet shop, you can find the equivalent at a much lower price at your local hardware store. I have found naturally compressed cork panels, glued together with a food glue which is not toxic, for a fraction of the price... And I'm tempted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    They are expensive, but like most things for frogs you find in a pet shop, you can find the equivalent at a much lower price at your local hardware store. I have found naturally compressed cork panels, glued together with a food glue which is not toxic, for a fraction of the price... And I'm tempted.
    I'm going to go to ACE Hardware tomorrow I'll look around and see what they have. Tho its too late for my new build. I already have the foam in place and have begun cutting out sections for the water feature. I'm going for a tiered look with very wet locations on each level for a nice covering of moss. Then flow off the background and into a small pond in one corner.

clownonfire

You are definitely the one I look up too esthetically when it comes to vivs. Next one, I am going for practicality and a long-term moss process.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks...but I don't think I'm that good. I really like Don's last 20 gallon build. Looks great.

The build I'm working on now will have lots of moss. Well That is the look I'm going for.

clownonfire

Thanks...but I don't think I'm that good. I really like Don's last 20 gallon build. Looks great.

The build I'm working on now will have lots of moss. Well That is the look I'm going for.

You and Don really have your s*h*t together when it comes to aesthetics, that's for sure.

E.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Mike, ever work in landscaping? Thanks for the compliments but I'm nothing like the ones I see and dream of creating.

SO, heres my thought... a Lego cottage in a woods setting (Ficus as the trees), centered on a small island (foam and substrate), with water around the outside edge (probably a 18x18x24 Exo)..... and planted inside the lego cottage with moss to look vacant but enough open window and door space to allow the darts to travel through. hmmmm. Foaming and siliconing the top three to four inches on the sides and back to create a place to plant fig and other foliage that could hang down in, so the cottage is in a sort of cavern. Oh its bad, and I must sleep at night dreaming of these things.
    Think I'm a little overboard?

Now, I have to say. I envy many I see here and yours too looks awesome Eric. Wait til the plants grow in and some of that creeping fig has taken hold on the new build.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Speaking of moss, keep us up to date on how your new moss from Josh is doing. Looks nice how you put it in. The sheet moss in my Red Eyes Viv has never grown but hasn't died off either. Probably not enough light?

clownonfire

On a similar topic

I've read on Canadart.org that using Titebond III mixed with coconut husk is better than with silicone II. Has anyone tried it, or heard about it?

Eric

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I haven't heard of this but it sounds interesting. How did you like working with the clay? I'm all for trying anything that doesn't smell like silicone I :-)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Mike, ever work in landscaping? Thanks for the compliments but I'm nothing like the ones I see and dream of creating.

SO, heres my thought... a Lego cottage in a woods setting (Ficus as the trees), centered on a small island (foam and substrate), with water around the outside edge (probably a 18x18x24 Exo)..... and planted inside the lego cottage with moss to look vacant but enough open window and door space to allow the darts to travel through. hmmmm. Foaming and siliconing the top three to four inches on the sides and back to create a place to plant fig and other foliage that could hang down in, so the cottage is in a sort of cavern. Oh its bad, and I must sleep at night dreaming of these things.
    Think I'm a little overboard?

Now, I have to say. I envy many I see here and yours too looks awesome Eric. Wait til the plants grow in and some of that creeping fig has taken hold on the new build.
    I read this thread while in a hurry and could not find it again!

No never worked in landscaping but do like working in the yard. If your looking to do something whimsical then that would be funny. You might also be able to find some ceramic house to fit that bill that might be a bit more in character with a nice mossy setting.

I don't think any viv will really look it's best or reach its potential for sometime after being initially setup. That is when the true potential of the Vivarian Artist! ( hahaha just made that phrase up!) will show. There are so many ways to go. You can have a very heavily planted viv or a sparse one that ends up with a beautifully green carpet of moss. Both will look fantastic and have a completely different look.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Speaking of moss, keep us up to date on how your new moss from Josh is doing. Looks nice how you put it in. The sheet moss in my Red Eyes Viv has never grown but hasn't died off either. Probably not enough light?
    I would think it probably has enough light to stay alive but not enough to spread. Also does moss need more moister to thrive and spread. You might not of obtained the optimal crowning conditions for fast growth.

My next viv will have moss as it's main theme. We shall see how it goes.

Nationality
    [United States]

On a similar topic

I've read on Canadart.org that using Titebond III mixed with coconut husk is better than with silicone II. Has anyone tried it, or heard about it?

Eric
    I used gorrilla glue or black pond foam in the 55 Gallon Build. It has its good and bad points. For my new build I'm going to use brown GE Silicone II over the yellow foam.
    The standard yellow construction foam is half the price of the pond foam but the silicone cost a lot too.

clownonfire

Clay was fun to work with, but like Cheri said, it was a real hassle drying out. It's half dried half wet because of the watering... I don't know how it will turn out... Push comes to shove, it's all natural... I just hope the frogs don't get messy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I still like the great stuff and Tetra Waterfall foams since I can carve it and shape things after its all dried. The silicone is the only bad part due to smell.

The gorilla glue is also not bad to use as long as you let it expand before adding the substrate over it.

I see many people using clay and wondered about its long term stability. I haven't heard of anyone having issues once it sets though.

bshmerlie

Clay was fun to work with, but like Cheri said, it was a real hassle drying out. It's half dried half wet because of the watering... I don't know how it will turn out... Push comes to shove, it's all natural... I just hope the frogs don't get messy.
    I agree wont the frogs walk on it and get messy? The wet clay sticks to your skin. Thats why I mashed in moss and coco fiber over it last time but then it looks too much like GS. Im going to be doing my moss study on my recent clay setup for awhile so that gives you time to solve this dilema Eric. I expect a full report when you figure it out.

Thread Information