Thread: May be getting Red Eyed Tree frogs or Tiger Legs.. Need advice please

Psychotic4mb3r

Default May be getting Red Eyed Tree frogs or Tiger Legs.. Need advice please

Someone I know has red eye tad poles and a few froglets hes holding on to until he knows there well off. But im more them likely gonna get a few from them. I was just curious about what size tank I should keep them in until there older? Last year I had 2 froglets in a large critter keeper with fake plants, a shallow water dish, and coco fiber as substrate and they both ended up dying. This year I plan on getting a few more but instead of just coco fiber, im gonna lay moss on top of the coco fiber. I just need suggestions for a good cage size and about how many could fit in each cage size? I wanna start the babies off right this time around. So any advice for raising babies into adulthood would be very appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: May be getting Red Eyed Tree frogs or Tiger Legs.. Need advice please

What kind of Tiger Legs are we talking about? Phyllomedusa Hypochondrialis, Azureas, or Tomopterna? I'm getting a two of the latter next week and may have some information for you about them, but Red Eyes and the others I'm not sure of. There's a great care article over to the left there, it has all the information you need about keeping and raising Red Eyes and was written by one of our moderators, Kurt. There's also a "Meet The Frog" article to the left and below that about Phyllomedusa Hypochondrialis if you're interested in getting one of those, and I know Kurt has one of his own so if you have questions you can probably PM him. Another person you could PM would be our moderator Cheri (bshmerlie) about Red Eyes, she has a bunch of them and is really nice, she'd probably be able to answer any questions you have.

Here are the links to the care articles:
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frog-c...allidryas.html

Frog Forum - Meet the Frog: Tiger-Legged Monkey Frog, Phyllomedusa hypochondrialis

Hope this helps, and good luck!
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Psychotic4mb3r

Default Re: May be getting Red Eyed Tree frogs or Tiger Legs.. Need advice please

Not sure actually, I have to asking him about the tiger legs. I just wanted to know the setup for babies. I got the adult setup down lol. Just trying to figure out how big of a enclosure they should have since there tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ok I see...

Well the easiest way to do this would be to just set them up in their permanent tank, the one they will be using as adults, so you don't have to transfer them later, but if you are bent on keeping them in a less permanent tank I'd say just get a 10 or 15 gallon horizontal tank and put as many branches and climbing things in there as you can to keep them happy.

I have one large White's and one baby. When I got the baby I used the initial tank that I was keeping my big guy in while he was sick. It's just a small ten gallon horizontal, like I recommended, with paper towel substrate (to monitor bowl movements and food consumption better). I put a place for him to hide, a water bowl, and a fake fern for him to climb or hide under if he wants.

Do you know how big the babies are going to be when you get them? That knowledge could be helpful when you're picking a temporary tank. My baby White's is about 1 1/2 inches long at this point, about 3 cm, and he's doing fine in the ten gallon for now, until he's big enough to go into the 18x18x24 I have my big guy in.

Does that help? O:
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Psychotic4mb3r

Hmm.. Well if there the same size as last year they are VERY tiny. Heres a example of about how small they are(I found this pic online)

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic4mb3r View Post
    Not sure actually, I have to asking him about the tiger legs. I just wanted to know the setup for babies. I got the adult setup down lol. Just trying to figure out how big of a enclosure they should have since there tiny
    I use a 12 x 12 x 18, simple setup with paper towel, a potted ficus, and a shallow water dish. I have about 80% of the top covered to retain humidity but still allow for proper ventilation. Here is a P. hypochondrialis froglet at 3 weeks OOW:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh my gosh it's so small! >< I would be afraid I'd hurt the little thing. And I thought my baby White's was tiny and he's about 1 1/2 inches! ><
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Thread Information