Thread: Whites Tree Frog Food

Sierra

Default Whites Tree Frog Food

Hi, I live pretty far away from a pet store, and my crickets have not been staying alive long enough. We have a bait shop in a gas station in town, and a Walmart about 20 min away. Am I able to feed them meal or wax worms from the gas station? It is Kwik Trip to be exact. Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog Food

yep, but as a treat only, it will eventually make them go blind. The fat content builds up in lens of eye. And it's irriversable. So maybe fir a couple days like 1x a month. I too live 70 miles from petstore, so I stocked up on canned crix (small) and exoterra black crix(large) and thong feed. I also have stared my own crix farm, maybe 500 babies already, that was just with 5 crix of each sex, and some wet dirt. My house is like a desert with in floor heat, dirt dried out every day and still hatched. So it's quite easy, 3 tubs and breeding cage. Booom babies. I didn't use heating pad or anything, it just takes longer to hatch. Read culturing crix and it's easy.

Also super worms (big meal worms) live a long time to carry u through. Some thread before said Walmart nightcrawlers are safe too, soak in water for a few min, and like strip them of their poo, and of course any change in diet may give yr frog a little diarea*sp but will go away.

Sierra

Yeah, I didn't want them to be the main staple, how long do the canned crix last? What about frozen? Maybe I'll buy a feeding tongs tonight & do it that way. My parents hate the live ones haha. Sometimes I just need a tieover incase all mine decide to die like last night.. Plus I can control their portions better with a feeding tongs, hopefully they take it! Thanks I was still wondering if bait shop worms are safe though

Leefrogs

I freeze my canned after opening, u got a big boy, go 4 exoterra. It's 8$ but a big can, can o' crickets are real small. Grasshoppers are huge and hard, but there's silk worms and other stuff to. They go bad after a week, so I just freeze em right away. And the thread was about Walmart worms in paticular, that they could be raised by someone not following regulations in place to keep native waters clean. I was contemplating bait fish instead of pinky mice, but fisheries don't test for chytrid I guess. I paid 5$ for a doz crawlers from Petco garenteed to be parisite free. They live forever in fridge in original container.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Where do you keep your stock of crickets, if you don't mind me asking? And do you have some food and a piece of egg carton in the box or carrier or whatever you have them in?

The first time I bought crickets I threw them in an old critter carrier my friend gave me with some Fluker's Cricket Quencher and a wet sponge and half of them drowned to death while the others just died from stress. :/ You can say I was pretty shocked and a little upset that I spent money on food for my beloved White's and now had barely any because they all decided to croak on me.

After that I went back and got more and learned that if you put a piece of egg carton in the box with them and got rid of the sponge it would keep them alive longer. First of all, the sponge was a bad idea because the Cricket Quencher is a source of water in itself and it says right on the bottle that they don't need another water source. :/ Secondly, they make their home in the egg carton and throwing a small section of one in there makes them happier, and happier = healthier. ^ ^ So, all my crickets lived through a month of feeding, I think only two or three died and that was a result of the other crickets attacking and eating them...not sure why they do that. >> But now my crickets even sing at night! XD Unknowing of their own fate...>>

But anyway, long story short, if you put a piece of egg carton and some cricket food in there it might help them to last longer. Also keep them in a cool, dark place. Crickets love to creep around unseen in the darkness after hours. >>

If you're already doing this stuff and they're still dying, then I have no idea what the problem could be. D: I don't really feed my White's other stuff (the occasional mealworm), as I am afraid of the blindness factor and the fact that one of my White's is grossly overweight as it is, he doesn't need any more chitin. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Sierra

I had only been giving them drink gutload, which I had thought was full gutload. Sooo.. that could have been part of it! Last night I got some starchy stuff to feed them as well as the drink. I got one of those fancy kricket keeper things with the feeding tubes inside, and they really like going in there. Hah, I can't sleep when the crickets chirp, so I keep them downstairs now XD. I also got a 50 ct. of mealworms, and one of my frogs(Sprite) ate 2 in one bite, that little fatty! haha he could use some more fat though :P Sprecker is pretty big though.
    (I know Sprecker and Sprite are weird names for my frogs, but they just kindof stuck :P)

How often do you feed your whites?
    I've different ways and I'm just curious

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    I had only been giving them drink gutload, which I had thought was full gutload. Sooo.. that could have been part of it! Last night I got some starchy stuff to feed them as well as the drink. I got one of those fancy kricket keeper things with the feeding tubes inside, and they really like going in there. Hah, I can't sleep when the crickets chirp, so I keep them downstairs now XD. I also got a 50 ct. of mealworms, and one of my frogs(Sprite) ate 2 in one bite, that little fatty! haha he could use some more fat though :P Sprecker is pretty big though.
    (I know Sprecker and Sprite are weird names for my frogs, but they just kindof stuck :P)

How often do you feed your whites?
    I've different ways and I'm just curious
    You know another tip about feeding crickets is giving them any fruits or vegetables that you have lying around. I know it's hard to sacrifice good food to some insects that you're only going to use for food for your frogs and that won't live long enough to make a difference in their quality, but whatever the crickets ingest, the frogs will too. So if you just give them some fruit or vegetables that might make up for whatever your gut-load is lacking and give them even more vitamins and antioxidants that they wouldn't get from just a normal gut load. I would only caution you against using tomatoes though, I heard those were bad but I'm not sure why...I usually have a few pieces of celery, potato, strawberry (just a very small piece), lettuce, cabbage, and I even gave them carrots and mango once. Just whatever you have that you feel like you can sacrifice a small piece of. Oh! And tangerines and oranges are good too, the crickets seem to like those a lot.

And that's ok about the names of your frogs. Mine are Bruce Campbell and Bruce Wayne after two of my favorite people. XD

I feed my White's (by big guy) two crickets every three days, but he's on a diet as he's a bit fat. I'm thinking about moving it to every fourth night actually until he slims down enough to where he isn't sliding down the glass when he tries to climb...>>

My little guy (who's only a few weeks or a month or so old) as many crickets as he'll eat every night, though I think he's still adjusting so I'm not sure if he's eating them all or not unfortunately. But hopefully once he's gotten used to his new home he'll start eating like the little garbage disposal he is. >>
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information