Thread: Help me ID please

Madeve

Default Help me ID please

Yesterday we had a nice big rain so in the late afternoon I took my herper in training (my two year old son) and gave him a net and we went looking for worms (to feed the salamanders).

We did not find any worms like I hoped but Xavier the herper extraordinaire found 2 tiny froglet/toadlet by a little puddle. I'd like to find out what it is he found and if it is alright for us to keep them (we live in SW Louisiana and it is illegal for me to collect dusty gopher frog (Rana sevosa).)

So here is the first one

and here is the second one

They both look terribly alike save for their size, so I'm guessing they are the same species.

Thanks for any help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help me ID please

They look like toads to me.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Yup, definitely Bufonids.

Madeve

As far as I can find here is a list of possibilities
    Bufo americanus American toad
    Bufo fowleri Fowler's toad
    Bufo nebulifer Gulf coast toad
    Bufo quercicus Oak toad
    Bufo terrestris
    Southern toad
    Bufo woodhousii
    Woodhouse's toad

I suppose all I can do is wait for them to grow up to find out then. Any suggestion on how to set them up in the mean time would be helpful, they are so tiny I had to get them fruit flies from Petco to eat.

Nationality
    [United States]

I keep my toadlets in coco substrate about three inches deep, with a water dish and hides available. They will eat just about anything they can get and keep in their mouths. The enclosure is simply a plastic shoebox, with a cut out in the lid and a piece of plastic needlepoint sheeting siliconed over the hole.

As for species, I feel confident in eliminating B. woodhousii and B. fowleri. Even tiny morphs of these guys tend to have ther distinctive reddish tubercles on the skin. It sure does not look like a B. nebulifer to me either.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Madeve

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    I keep my toadlets in coco substrate about three inches deep, with a water dish and hides available. They will eat just about anything they can get and keep in their mouths. The enclosure is simply a plastic shoebox, with a cut out in the lid and a piece of plastic needlepoint sheeting siliconed over the hole.

As for species, I feel confident in eliminating B. woodhousii and B. fowleri. Even tiny morphs of these guys tend to have ther distinctive reddish tubercles on the skin. It sure does not look like a B. nebulifer to me either.
    Thank you for the advice Johnny. I was leaning toward B. nubulifer as I've found a few adults in my yard (and on my porch) and I've yet to see any other kind of toad. I used to find green tree frogs all the time after big rains but since the last hurricane season I haven't seen any in my yard.
    I supposed only time will tell what the toadlets are.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

It's hard to say what they are but I think they could be Bufo nebulifer.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Madeve

I'll just keep taking pictures as they grow up and post them so eventually we'll find out.

I am hoping for some B. nebulifer, I love the ones I already have and would love more !!!

Thread Information