Thread: Dart Frogs - Articles on Frog Forum

clownonfire

Default Dart Frogs - Articles on Frog Forum

Hello,

I've been thinking recently about adding all links I could find on Frog Forum concerning dart frogs, from care sheets to articles about breeding, fruit flies cultures, building suitable vivarium, etc., in one document. The goal is to create a one-stop information center for the dart enthusiast, from the beginner to the expert. I will add a link to this thread to the group Dendrobates. Please feel free to add any other articles that you find pertinent or that might have helped you.

Note: You will find a whole section on Dart Frogs and Mantellas on this forum here.

I hope this will be of help yo you.

Care sheet:

1. Imitating Dart Frog, Ranitomeya imitator / Dendrobates imitator , by John Clare.

Breeding:

1. Raising Thumbnail Dartfrog Tadpoles (Ranitomeya) by John Clare.

Fruit Fly Culturing:

1. Fruit Fly Culturing, Care and Feeding - Everything you need to know about Drosophila by John Clare and Paul Rust.

Terrarium/Vivarium

1. Building Dart Frog Terrariums / Tropical Terrarium Construction by John Clare.

2. 10 gallon vertical dartfrog terrarium construction by John Clare.

3. New Viv Construction - pic heavy, by Don Lisk.

4. 55 Gallon Vivarium Build by MikeM670.

5. New vivarium - Crowdsourcing on Frog Forum by Eric Robillard. This thread is more of an exchange on the different possibilities of building a vivarium for darts, from a clay background, to plants, etc.

So here you go. There is much more on Frog Forum, but this should help you start!

Eric

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dart Frogs - Articles on Frog Forum

Wow this was a great idea Eric! I'll be sure to take a look at this when I think about getting darts. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice work Eric!

A one stop information center!
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM670 View Post
    Nice work Eric!

A one stop information center!
    Definitely. Hope it helps. I know it would have helped me when I first joined this forum. And thank you, Brit and Mike.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Thank you Eric, this is much appreciated.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

bshmerlie

This is great Eric. Thanks for getting all of it together. Were you the one who was also talking about doing something similar for the beginning frog owner? Something that could help them decide what frog to get? I think we just need to change your call sign to The Link Man.

clownonfire

Good morning Cheri. Yes, I am hoping to finish the article this week. As for links, indeed! And don't tell anyone, but adding links with specific keywords is really good for Google.

poison beauties

This has been done on other boards, so if you need any ideas you know where to look. There are lso private libraries being designed with advancements

Michael.,

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by poison beauties View Post
    This has been done on other boards, so if you need any ideas you know where to look. There are lso private libraries being designed with advancements

Michael.,
    Michael,

You are right, and not just on other amphibian boards, but on different types of boards. The goal is to make our forum a reference, and a convivial forum for all users, and by gathering and writing more articles, we might just be that forum. Oh, and we're also nice.

Another idea is to also gather all dendrobates owners in the Dendrobates group, with a list of what they own in a thread. This could be very useful for newcomers, if they need info on a species, or anything else that is relevant/pertinent to one, or many.

poison beauties

Eric the sharing of info is always good and yes its not just the boards that have great informative writes that help this hobby. Many hobbyists have their own web sites that share info and experience and some hobbyists like myself have their own forums and libraries.
    As for a getting together group idea if it works out great but right now in this hobby especially with darts the word group, organization, union and other names are bringing up all kinds of issues.
    As for a data bank of species and line info that is also in the works and has been for a bit. Its always good to know whats out there and whats unrelated to what. I will be happy to help you out if you need it. I myself cant add a long list to the data bank as I gave away my tinc and ranitomeya collection away last year but I can assist with any info you need for any of the species. Even where to find them and what lines, and different imports of the are out there, The only species I'm currently upgrading and building large vivs for are golden auratus and quepo and baru grannies.

MIchael

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by poison beauties View Post
    Eric the sharing of info is always good and yes its not just the boards that have great informative writes that help this hobby. Many hobbyists have their own web sites that share info and experience and some hobbyists like myself have their own forums and libraries.
    As for a getting together group idea if it works out great but right now in this hobby especially with darts the word group, organization, union and other names are bringing up all kinds of issues.
    As for a data bank of species and line info that is also in the works and has been for a bit. Its always good to know whats out there and whats unrelated to what. I will be happy to help you out if you need it. I myself cant add a long list to the data bank as I gave away my tinc and ranitomeya collection away last year but I can assist with any info you need for any of the species. Even where to find them and what lines, and different imports of the are out there, The only species I'm currently upgrading and building large vivs for are golden auratus and quepo and baru grannies.

MIchael
    It all makes sense. I know for starters that the nomenclature of certain species amongst the dendrobates is constantly reviewed, and even changed. I understand too that hobbyists have their own sites, libraries. Like any other hobbies, there are your experts and novices. I collect vintage toys, and believe me, I've seen all sorts of exchanges in the field....

What I want to achieve on this forum is a place where visitors and members will be able to gather general information. Not just on the scientific names of some species, but about certain behaviors, about housing these frogs, about feeding, breeding, about the dangers of hybridization... (something I know you are quite passionate about). A one stop shop. If a new visitor can learn about what are the best plants for a dart terrarium, in my opinion, we will have achieved something great, for the new owner, but also for the frog that will be housed in such a vivarium.

There are experts on this site, and there are curious/potential new hobbyists. Frog Forum might not reinvent the wheel (hey, who knows, we might surprise a few with time), but we will certainly be a very valuable resource on the web for all amphibians enthusiasts.

Eric

Thread Information