Thread: Newbie, need tips on Gray Tree Frog habitat

Corry

Default Newbie, need tips on Gray Tree Frog habitat

Hello!

I caught a gray tree frog back in September, and on a whim, kept it and housed it in my old, unused 10 gallon fish tank. I've kept the tank part water and part land using decorative river rocks to build up above the water in one side. I used a filter in the tank, as well.

It seemed to work fine . . . until I moved. My new apartment has SUPER hard water, and I've permanently ruined the tank I have, as I was always used to using tap water.

For now I bought some moss and a soaking pool. I'm also getting started on some live plants. I plan to put in some philodendron, as I just read last night that they're ok for froggies.

Anyway, when I get some money I plan to replace the tank, probably with an identical one.

Any other tips, preferably low-cost ones, would be greatly appreciated.

Pics below!

(Grunt is in the upper left hand corner in the first one)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Newbie, need tips on Gray Tree Frog habitat

Hi Corry! For your tank, you could use vinegar to remove the water stains (tips by John Clare). Just make sure you remove the frog when cleaning it. And from this point on, if you are using tap water, make sure you dechlorinate it by leaving it in an open container for at least 24 hours before using it.

Here's an article that might help you on how to care for a Gray Treefrog: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frog-c...ysoscelis.html

Eric

Corry

Oh, I did use vinegar! I even let it sit for a while. I tried scrubbing with various methods for a good 3 hours yesterday, and these are the AFTER scrub pictures.

Also, I've already seen the grey tree frog care page. Thanks!

Are there any guides on exactly how to put in live plants, other than ones like the one I already bought that comes in a little plastic pot with some sort of gel in it?

Even before I knew philodendrons were ok to use, I was already rooting a cutting . . . . I just don't know how to implement it into the habitat.

clownonfire

I guess your glass has been pretty damaged!!

For plants, yes. Basically, you have two options (well, three actually). If you plant them, you could either do a false bottom or what I prefer personally, a drainage layer.

For the drainage layer, you will need something like Hydro Balls (small clay ball), mesh, soil and substrate. Very quickly, add about 2 inches of clay balls, then cut a piece of mesh that covers the whole surface of the hydro balls you've just added, add about 3-4 inches of soil, and substrate (coconut husk or forest mix).

Now that you have your drainage layer, you can add your plants to the soil. When you will water it, the excess will go down in the drainage layer, where it will be filtrated. As to which plants to put in, chose one that will have the same requirements as what the Gray Treefrog needs for a terrarium. Philodendron is always a good choice, Pothos too. I like dracena, croton, green spider plants...

If you want to do a false bottom (which I find is a pain), here's a link: http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...struction.html

It's for darts, but it will apply to your terrarium.

The third option is just to add your plant in a pot.... But it's much less interesting.

Eric

Corry

Thanks! Anyone else have any tips for me?

bshmerlie

Purchase some new flat edge razor blades and it will take off even the most stubborn hard water deposits. You can also use the ultra fine steel wool after you razor blade it. I have cleaned up some pretty ugly tanks this way.

Corry

Oooh, I didn't even think of razor blades! It would be awesome to not have to buy a new tank! Thanks!

ARMS87

welcome

Thread Information