Thread: African clawed frog HELP!!!

kermitthefrog

Default African clawed frog HELP!!!

Hi i brought two albino african clawed frogs had them about 6 months then brought a green one at first when i added it to the tank they didnt get on but after a while they were fine i have had them in the same tank about 5 months no but the little green one doest seem to be growing if you have any ideas please let me no many thanks

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African clawed frog HELP!!!

did you buy them when they where very little? has this frog grown at all? and is the other slightly bigger? may just be different sex. Female African Clawed frogs tend to be larger than males.

kermitthefrog

Quote Originally Posted by AlbinoFroggy View Post
    did you buy them when they where very little? has this frog grown at all? and is the other slightly bigger? may just be different sex. Female African Clawed frogs tend to be larger than males.
    I had the first to as a pair they are about 2 inchs big now but when I but the green one in with tthem they were about an insh big the green one has only grow very slightly put abit of weight on but that's it realy. Thank you for the help

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

From the info you gave, the two albinos should be close to being sexually mature. Can you determine what sex they are? Males become mature in about 12 months and females about 9 months. As adults, albino frogs are smaller than the "wild type" (green, gray or brown coloration).

I would place the smaller frog in a separate tank to make sure it is feeding properly and not being "bullied". In the wild, these frogs live in large colonies. They will establish hierarchies within their group, and display territoriality. They are known to be cannibalistic. I have seen some aggressive displays among my frogs and one pair has been together for almost 15 years.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

kermitthefrog

IQUOTE=tgampper;50053]From the info you gave, the two albinos should be close to being sexually mature. Can you determine what sex they are? Males become mature in about 12 months and females about 9 months. As adults, albino frogs are smaller than the "wild type" (green, gray or brown coloration).

I would place the smaller frog in a separate tank to make sure it is feeding properly and not being "bullied". In the wild, these frogs live in large colonies. They will establish hierarchies within their group, and display territoriality. They are known to be cannibalistic. I have seen some aggressive displays among my frogs and one pair has been together for almost 15 years.[/QUOTE]

it is funny but the little green one is the most bossy he pushes the other two out the way for food I no he's eating I have been watching them to make sure don't i want him to die an for the two albino I can tell the sex I have a male and a female I was thinging of geting another green as it may feel left out on his own as they are like a pair what do you think to the idea?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Getting another one would be fine. I keep mine in groups of two or three.

kermitthefrog

I would have four in my tank then I will try an get another green one an see if they will pair up do you think there will be any fighting in my tank if I have two different pairs?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

As long as the tank is large enough, they should be fine together.

ARMS87

welcome

Thread Information