Thread: So many to choose from! :D

Tadpoleintraining

Red face So many to choose from! :D

Hey everyone! I'm currently frogless but i'm desperately wanting to get 1 or more frogs. I've never had a reptile or amphibian before (just mammals and birds) so i was hoping i could get some advice for a rookie. My biggest concern is that because im on my school's golf team, i dont get home until 6 or 7 p.m. mon-fri, and i don't know if that will be a big concern for taking care of my frogs. Please send help

bshmerlie

Default Re: So many to choose from! :D

Welcome to the forum Tadpole. You've come to the right place. Getting home that late is not a problem. Most frogs are nocturnal anyways so they'll be sleeping while you're gone and will be waking up when you get home. The biggest difference that you'll notice with frogs from your other pets is that they do eat live crickets. That is something you'll have to get use to. Then you'll have the random escaped cricket that you're parents will yell at you about. It comes with the territory. The first thing you need to do is figure out what kind of frog you want. Being your first frog it is best to stick with what we would call a beginner frog. That just means its a hardy species and more tolerant of an owner who may slip up on occasion. Also depending on your budget that may restrict you to certain type of frogs. Depending on your area some are less expensive than others. A great inexpensive first frog is the firebelly toads. They good thing about them is they are diurnal so they'll be awake whenever you want to see them and also if you give them a good size water section you don't have to worry about humidity unlike most frogs. They also do well with normal room temperature. Then you have you tree frogs. You'll need a vertical tank for these guys with a heatmat for additional warmth. Humidity will also have to be monitored which can be kept up with daily misting. Check out the American Green tree frogs, the whites tree frog (dumpy) or the Red Eye Leaf frog just to name a few. Then you have some beginner dart frog species but that may require a bigger budget. If money is not too big of a concern I would be happy to give you some recommendations in that category just let me know. Take a look around the forum and look up some of the species I mentioned. If something catches your interest you can go over to You Tube and type in their name and watch a video of them moving around. Just gives you a better feel for the frog than just a picture. Once you figure out what you want to go with let us know and we can give you recomendations on setups. Happy frogging.

lnaminneci

Welcome to the Forum, Tadpoleintraining!

~Lesley

ARMS87

welcome

Thread Information