Thread: New to tree frogs.

talveren

Default New to tree frogs.

Hi All,

Am looking to get a tree frog. This little guy seems like the one to go with

Green Tree Frog - Reptile - Live Pet - PetSmart

They don't have the latin name for it on the site so I'm a little confused as to proper care.

Can anyone identify it correctly?

clownonfire

Default Re: New to tree frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by talveren View Post
    Hi All,

Am looking to get a tree frog. This little guy seems like the one to go with

Green Tree Frog - Reptile - Live Pet - PetSmart

They don't have the latin name for it on the site so I'm a little confused as to proper care.

Can anyone identify it correctly?
    This is an American green tree frog (Hyla cinerea). A beautiful frog.

You will need a vertical enclosure, lots of branches for it to climb on, good humidity, and a secure top so it won't escape. It eats live crickets. You will need a bowl of water that you need to change often.

It is a NOCTURNAL frog, just be aware.

And welcome on Frog Forum!!

talveren

Do I need a heating pad/element? I usually keep the house at about 65 in winter and around 75 in summer (I live in Texas) Most of the stuff I've seen is for tropical frogs. Also, I can't seem to find a vertical tank that doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles I don't think I need. Can I go with a regular ten gallon tank and construct multi levels of branches for my critter to climb on?

The site said these frogs are communal. Do I need to get two of them to keep one from pining?

clownonfire

Do I need a heating pad/element? I usually keep the house at about 65 in winter and around 75 in summer (I live in Texas) Most of the stuff I've seen is for tropical frogs. Also, I can't seem to find a vertical tank that doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles I don't think I need. Can I go with a regular ten gallon tank and construct multi levels of branches for my critter to climb on?

The site said these frogs are communal. Do I need to get two of them to keep one from pining?
    Hi again. You do not need a heating pad with the temperature you are mentioning. If you have a 10, I would suggest you use it vertically, therefore needing to build a vertical closing lid. They really need height, it's how they strive really! And yes, branches, different levels of them will make your tree frog happy, and critters easier to eat.

I like to keep my frogs in pair. If you can get two, perfect! Just make sure you do not mix species though. So if you get an American Tree frog, get another one of the same species.

bshmerlie

Getting a conversion kit for a 10 gallon may be difficult for a beginner. All you really need is a tank that is at least 18 inches tall. A 20 gallon tall might be tall enough. Also check out Craig's list. I've often seen used Exo Terra or Zoo meds for around $50. Those are ideal. Also check to see if their are any local breeders in your area that carry those frogs instead of getting them at Petsmart. It is important to start off with a healthy frog. There are also reptile shows where you can get tanks and frogs pretty cheap.

6. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Getting a conversion kit for a 10 gallon may be difficult for a beginner. All you really need is a tank that is at least 18 inches tall. A 20 gallon tall might be tall enough. Also check out Craig's list. I've often seen used Exo Terra or Zoo meds for around $50. Those are ideal. Also check to see if their are any local breeders in your area that carry those frogs instead of getting them at Petsmart. It is important to start off with a healthy frog. There are also reptile shows where you can get tanks and frogs pretty cheap.
    Do as Cheri says.

It's a good point about tanks on Craigslist. I got all my tanks, minus one, on a site similar to Craigslist in my neck of the woods. Make sure you clean it well with dechlorinated water and make sure it is water proof (I had one bad experience). Even if there will not be lots of water, keeping humidity will gather some.... If it leaks, you can get aquarium silicone at a pet supply store for not too much.

talveren

Found two exo terra terrariums of the right height on craigslist for my area. Thanks Cheri! Sent out feelers to both to see what condition they are in. One is $50 with all the bells and whistles I was complaining about.

talveren

How do I find a frog breeder? I know the pet stores are bad with snakes. they want the really odd looking ones so inbreeding is a big problem. I was hoping with this kind of frog they are common enough it isn't a problem.

clownonfire

How do I find a frog breeder? I know the pet stores are bad with snakes. they want the really odd looking ones so inbreeding is a big problem. I was hoping with this kind of frog they are common enough it isn't a problem.
    It's always better to go with a breeder, but if you want to get it at your local store, ask questions, try and figure out where they got it from. Some will have the paper work, and more. If you are well informed, and they can answer your questions, it's basically your choice. I prefer buying from breeders, but I did get a few from pet suppliers.

bshmerlie

Found two exo terra terrariums of the right height on craigslist for my area. Thanks Cheri! Sent out feelers to both to see what condition they are in. One is $50 with all the bells and whistles I was complaining about.
    That's great to hear...sounds like you're on your way. Bells and whistles are good especially cheap ones. Remember to show us pictures of your frog and setup when you're ready. If you can do your research here on the forum and get your tank nicely planted and everything before you get your frog. Remember setting up a mini rainforest is half the fun. I agree with Eric and get two or three of the American Green tree frogs. Its not that they need company. Its just the more you have the more likely one will be moving around when you're watching. I had one lone Red Eye for about a year and a half and he and I would have some pretty lengthy staring contests. I almost beat him once or twice.

talveren

It's not so much I want to get it at the local store it's more that I don't think there's a breeder around to get a frog from. If there's a site I can look them up, let me know. I'm sort of in the Houston texas area so I can wander that way if there's a reputable breeder there.

frogbreeder27

Talking Re: New to tree frogs.

Hi sorry if im butting in but have you looked online for breeders?

talveren

a little bit, but I keep getting hits for puppies and kittens. I love my dog, but one spastic lab mix is enough.

go ahead and butt in. I'm very new at this and I want to do it right.

bshmerlie

Checkout the classifieds on Kingsnake.com they have a classified amphibian section that should help you out.

talveren

So joshsfrogs.com has what are called reptariums. A lot of them are a nice height and cheaper. Is one of those a good idea for an american green tree frog? I'm worried I won't be able to keep it humid enough.

Haven't heard back yet from the craigslist people so I'm exploring options.

Also, the kingsnake people aren't local but will ship. The company I'm looking at has a minimum order of 4 tree frogs. Is a 12x12x18 terrarium big enough for that many? I was going to go with a maximum of two.

ARMS87

welcome

Thread Information