Thread: Gray tree frog surprise...

Frogville

Default Gray tree frog surprise...

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, so a big "hello" to other frog fans out there.

We live near a pond in southeastern Michigan where there are a lot of frogs waiting for spring. One type we see a lot of is the Gray Tree Frog. I often find them on the side of our house, on our deck, and so forth.

Today I was very surprised to see one on a large potted tree that we keep outdoors in summer and bring indoors in the winter. I've had these guys hide in potted plants before, but they are usually discovered when it's still fall and the weather doesn't preclude me from finding a better place for them outdoors. This guy was on the edge of the pot and wandering around a bit. He's very alert and moves easily, so he's wide awake.

I am looking for advice as to what to do with my little gray friend. Right now it's in the low 30s outdoors, so putting him outside seems like a death sentence...but that's why I am turning to this forum for advice.

I *think* my options are:

1) Raise him for a couple of months in a terrarium until the weather improves and then release him. I have a pretty fair idea of what this entails and am equipped to do it if needed.

2) Put him in one of the many flower pots out in our garage. The garage is attached but not insulated. The side of the garage that is connected to the house stays around +20 degrees relative to the outdoor temp, which would probably be warm enough for him for the time being.

3) Just find a sheltered place for him outdoors, he'll be fine.

So, what do you folks think? I need to do something pretty quickly before the cats discover him. ;-)

Thanks for any advice,

Marc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Gray tree frog surprise...

Hi, and welcome to Frog Forum!

For GTF, they are hardy, and will survive cold temperature (they will hibernate during Winter). So it should be fine. Here's a similar thread written not too long ago on a similar subject:

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...bernation.html

And you could always refer to the GTF care sheet directly: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frog-c...ysoscelis.html

Eric

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum Marc.

I agree with Eric. If you are concerned find a sheltered spot out side. Put him out at the warmest part of the day. Looks like a healthy looking Gray tree frog so will be just fine. When spring comes you should grab a tadpole and raise it up your self. You know you want to..

Hi, if it were me, I'd house it until I started to see other Grays outside then release it (though they do adapt to captivity very well...).

I'm definitely no expert, but I don't like the idea of moving it from the warmth of your home to the cold outside with no acclimation time they get in nature before the freezing sets in. By the time the nighttime temps are near freezing, they are all pretty much tucked away for the winter around here so I don't know how well one would do if it were put right into the chill.

Frogville

Hi all,

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Froggy has returned to hiding in the tree's pot, but if he re-emerges, I think I'll catch him and put him out in a flower pot in the garage at a warm point during the day. The garage faces into the afternoon sun and it gets to an easy 60 degrees on a sunny winter day. He should have time to acclimate to the lower (but still > freezing) night-time temps.

It's tempting to keep him in a terrarium but the kids haven't talked me into that yet. :-)

Thanks for the sage advice...

Marc

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

What a cute little guy. I personally would take him in for the winter. Grays are very cold tolerant and can survive being literally frozen while hibernating. However, when active, sustained temps of below 40 F can be lethal.

Consider the terrarium option. A single gray tree frog requires the most basic of accommodations - 10 gallon tank, soil, a few branches and plants, and water dish. The costliest part may be getting a supply of feeders. The hardest part would be letting him go in the spring

Frogville

Hi Brian,

You're right, he probably would be hard to let go of come springtime! My kids are all in favor of keeping him as a pet for a couple of months, and I admit it would be easy to be talked into the idea. Grays are very cute little guys.

He hasn't re-emerged from hiding in the tree's pot, so I am trying to wait him out. I've been keeping an eye on the situation, though, since it's important to me that I discover him before the kitties do.

bshmerlie

Id say keep him...a cute little frog like that how could you resist. Besides its only for few months and might be a good experience for your kids.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Is he able to get any food where he is, around the tree pot? In fact, that's the other argument against letting him outside - there's probably very little active insect life right now and he'd most certainly starve.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogville View Post
    Hi Brian,

You're right, he probably would be hard to let go of come springtime! My kids are all in favor of keeping him as a pet for a couple of months, and I admit it would be easy to be talked into the idea. Grays are very cute little guys.

He hasn't re-emerged from hiding in the tree's pot, so I am trying to wait him out. I've been keeping an eye on the situation, though, since it's important to me that I discover him before the kitties do.

Thread Information