Thread: Help with dart frogs!

basil276

Default Help with dart frogs!

I've just rehomed 3 Dendrobates tinctorius. I set the tank for some time before introducing the frogs. All was well with the temp and humidity. I introduced the frogs, they all seemed happy hopping around but now they are all hiding behind this one plant. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? If the temp drops what other things can I use to increase the temp apart from heat mat. I've heard of a ceramic heat bulb, is this correct????

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

poison beauties

Default Re: Help with dart frogs!

Some Darts are just shy but a change in vivs can promote it. It stresses them out and will take time for them to get used to the new conditions. Some darts are just hiders and never venture out in front of you.
    If your room tempis anywhere in the 60-75 degree range I wouldnt consider any type of heat source and even in the 50's they do ok as the lighting above the viv can raise temps without you knowing it.

Michael

4. 2 members thank poison beauties for this post:

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by basil276 View Post
    I've just rehomed 3 Dendrobates tinctorius. I set the tank for some time before introducing the frogs. All was well with the temp and humidity. I introduced the frogs, they all seemed happy hopping around but now they are all hiding behind this one plant. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? If the temp drops what other things can I use to increase the temp apart from heat mat. I've heard of a ceramic heat bulb, is this correct????
    Michael gives great advice. He's helped me a great deal with mine. As he said, kept the humidity high, temperature around 60-75, and make sure they have lots of place to feel secure in (lots of plants will do it).

Do you know which morph you have? And what are you feeding them? You could always post picture. It might help us help you.

basil276

Thanks guys for the info. Today they are out and about and feeding well. I am giving them Drosophila. All the info I had read about them said keep the humidity high, temp over 70, I didn't realise that they would be ok at 50. My only concern is if they need extra heating in the winter.

poison beauties

They don't actually thrive at 50 but they will be ok. I would say that 65-72 is absolute optimal temps and if you can control the temp of the room they are in that is much better than trying to maintain viv temps.

Good to hear they are out. They usually come around. The stress of being moved is all it takes to send them running and hiding for a while. Even trimming back the plants in their viv will cause this.

Michael

basil276

Hi Michael,

It seems to get to around 5/6pm here and they disappear again, is that normal? Lauren

poison beauties

Darts are diurnal. They do seek shelter for the night and hide away,

Michael

10. This member thanks poison beauties for this post:

Thread Information