Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready 135 tank

llmoe

Default Getting ready 135 tank

Getting ready to empty the tank.. Maybe this weekend.. Picked up some plants.. Want to post pics of tank and what I got for plants.. How do I go about doing pics? And I tag code from a site?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

llmoe

Default Re: Getting ready 135 tank

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by llmoe View Post
    Getting ready to empty the tank.. Maybe this weekend.. Picked up some plants.. Want to post pics of tank and what I got for plants.. How do I go about doing pics? And I tag code from a site?
    Hi! For pictures, you can upload them directly from your thread. There's an Attach Files box when you add a comment to a thread (just scroll down). Click on Manage Attachments and you will have a new window where you will be able to choose your files and upload them!

llmoe

Thanks for the info.. I think I got pics posted.. Let me know if they didn't come thru..

clownonfire

Thanks for the info.. I think I got pics posted.. Let me know if they didn't come thru..
    Absolutely! I must have posted my comment just after you posted your pics.

bshmerlie

Getting ready to empty the tank..
    Does the fish know? You should probably tell him right about now.

llmoe

I have been hinting around to the fish.. I kinda didn't give them a 30 day notice either.. haha.

I now I need more plants but I want to repot them and break them up some.. Lowes or homedepot had clean soil.. Any suggestions on that.. Do I have to repot them.. Nervous that they might have chem on them.. I was going to repot and clean off for a couple of weeks.. What you guy and gals think.. Would it be safe just to go and plant them in the tank in clean soil. It will be a bit until I can find some RETF's....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I usually rinse off the plants after I remove the dirt from them. The will usually have fertilizer on them from stores. I the plants straight to my vivs substrate... such as plantation soil and a mix on top of Zilla Jungle Mix.
    Not sure on using soil designed for plants since they usually contain fertilizer too.

Leefrogs

I love the plants you're adding!! Especially the arrow (taro) plant. It's my faveorite. Although I don't have a viv big enough for one. And I don't want to freik u out, just a precaution, may have just been the overall size of mine. But the shefferella (umbrella) plant almost killed my frog. There are quite a few kinds and I picked the bad one. And it was so huge in the tank, the size of it may have been the problem. It gassed the entire tank and smelt so strong of pine/citronella. I googled it and most peep don't have problems, and they're so hard to tell appart, just watch your animals allot when u get them. My WTF puffed up, especially round the neck, and was lethargic and on the brink. I had to switch out tank real quick and soaked her in water, and aired out the tank. Just be carefull and watch. and after handling it, I could feel/taste it in my mouth.

llmoe

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    I love the plants you're adding!! Especially the arrow (taro) plant. It's my faveorite. Although I don't have a viv big enough for one. And I don't want to freik u out, just a precaution, may have just been the overall size of mine. But the shefferella (umbrella) plant almost killed my frog. There are quite a few kinds and I picked the bad one. And it was so huge in the tank, the size of it may have been the problem. It gassed the entire tank and smelt so strong of pine/citronella. I googled it and most peep don't have problems, and they're so hard to tell appart, just watch your animals allot when u get them. My Whites Tree Frog puffed up, especially round the neck, and was lethargic and on the brink. I had to switch out tank real quick and soaked her in water, and aired out the tank. Just be carefull and watch. and after handling it, I could feel/taste it in my mouth.
    None the plants have those names so not to sure which one you are talking about.. I am a contractor and can build anything and I do houses but I know NOTHING about plants. Which plant is what you said is the umbrella..I will get the names on the pots and post them.. As of now they have no smell to them.. I tried to smell them and not really a smell to them but I will post the names.. Don't want to put in something that will hurt the frogs.. Thanks for the info.

Leefrogs

well if u r doing darts or something it's fine. But fir whites or maybe monkey frogs that break leaves and stems it's not. So don't freik ok, but it's the one with little hands and six point leaves. And don't get me wrong, there's thousands of them in vivs all over, but I had jammed one into a 10 gallon, under the extreme smush, it was releasing sap, and contact with the sap is the problem. I had a thread umbrella dellema, no 1 answered. There's 10 varieties if this and 2 are toxic. But u see that used alot without problems. Darts won't be big enough to get a dose, just don't trim of bansai like I did, that stress on plant causes the problem I had. And it was the entire viv, frog couldn't get away unless he had a glass cutter!!! LOL.
    Posting names here won't do much good, but google the long scientific name, should be a scherferella SOMETHING.......... And like I said, darts or whatever will be fine, just not a climber.. Sorry, just after what I went through, I warn every1 to watch your frogs, and yank the culprate. Schedferella is suggested for viv plants, so keep that in mind also, many toxic plants are on viv list, but it depends on what youre housing

llmoe

I was wondering about that plant.. I liked the looks but was sure about the stems. I thought the leaves were great and sturdy..

From left to right.. No counting the lil on in sink way left.
    Alocasia, arboricola, janet craig, sago palm..

The frogs are going to be RETF's.. Those have always been are favorites and we raised alot of them in the past..

Leefrogs

snap a leaf off umbrella and give it a sniff. Just so you are framiliar with the smell, if it's starts to gas that tank u'll know. Red are small enough I don't think they'll break a leaf. And they might not even climb it. Like I said, my 10gal was stuffed with a bent stressed plant. It didn't kill my frog, but reaction was within 2 days.

They're in allot of vivs, don't stress too much, just smell your viv, watch your frogs, and be aware.

Leefrogs

Oooh, I just checked and umbrella and Janus were on potentially dangerous list. Schedferella archocola, U should read more on it if u need to. I went to site called, plants are the strangest people. Clearify on potentally dangerous, check for skin contact, or saps, ingesting them is irrevalant, but stuff that causes respitory or skin irritation is a no no.

Also google plants for amphibians, Janus craig might be on there as ok. I've seen umbrella on sites as ok, but I think that was just one of 10 varieties.

Leefrogs

see, conflicting info everywhere, that's why I started a thread bout umbrella plants. I just checked, " the reptile Chanel" 's list of plants for phibs and arboricola was on there. So it's just a grey area and a good debate. just telling u my resources and experiance, keep in touch

llmoe

It goes in th epics Alocasia, arboricola janet craig, sago palm

Are you calling the ALocasia a Umbrella ?

I can return any of these and replace them.. I want to get save plants.. When I check on those sights , they give names that don't match and if I go to place looking for the good ones, they don't have those names on the plants.. I know they sci names but the places around here don't.. So I just grab what look like good leaf plants to hold wieght and you tell me good or bad..lol..

So the janet craig and the sago plam Ok? I can take the other took back.. I am adding pothes aswell..

Thanks for the help...

Leefrogs

Reptile chanel plant list says umbrella is ok. But the other site says they both are skin irritants and cause digestive problems and swollen mouth. I'd get a snake plant, and the pots the come in are huge, easily split that up into 4. Rubber tree, not the maroon color one, and a hibiscus maybe, if u want a tree.
    The non toxic fiddle leaf fig bends easy to fit in a big your viv , oakleaf and creeping fig are toxic, but mike and clownfire are using them for darts, I think it's unwise, but they aren't going to be sleeping on it like tree frogs.

See peep use split leaf philodendron, and that's toxic also, u can tell by the smell, break a leaf and it's real a noxious aroma. If u see something u like and don't have a plant book with, snap and sniff.

I would check those two site I said, sorry I can't cut and paste to make it easier, I'm just on a phone. Sorry. And I noticed my girl turned dark right where a leaf had touched her, so there's another sign to look for.

llmoe

Now i know which one you are calling the umbrella.. I don't mind not using that one anyways. thought the leaves were to small anyway..

Are there different bromeliads.. Looking into trying to some of them for color..
    I know I can get snake plants aswell...

llmoe

Ok picked up bomelaid plants and I was told a snake plant.. What you all think? I didn't go to big with anything because I know they are going to grow..

Leefrogs

awsome plants!!! That brom is huge!!! And the snake, very original, never seen one so pale, don't be afraid to split that as many times as u like. Looks like an 8" pot, probably can spit that down 8 x if needed. Are u going to do the whole background thing, or viewing from all around? I never asked bout your plans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information