Thread: Frog escaped!!!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Frog escaped!!!

Im literally writing this at 5 in the morning. All night i keot waking up to hear a thumping noise around my room and the sound of something going over my stuff under my bed. At first I checked the mice because I thought it would be them, but they were all there. I kept hearing this all night and i was so confused what it could be. When i look under bed something orangey coloured is moving, then it clicked!

Im not sure how she got out, there is a small gap where the filter is which ive tried to cover, clearly it did not work, im not even sure how she fit through since shes the biggest being the only adult female ACF i have! I have my frogs on the top of a cabinet in my room next to my bed so she must have had quite a fall!

I ran as fast as could, filled a bucket if water and caught her and put her in (cant believe how fast these guys go out of water too!) She must have been out all night yet she looked pretty damp which i was surprised at and had quite abit of dust lumps on her.

She seems fine (she actually tryed escaping the bucket!) My question is, should i keep her seperated from her usual tank for a while to see how she is? As far as i am aware she doesnt seem physically harmed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: Frog escaped!!!

She'll be fine. These things are the cockroaches of the frog world :P. Hard to kill!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Im so glad! i kinda guessed that, i figured out she must have been out since 1 in the morning! she was still going strong at 5!

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

if she has the energy to try and jump out out of the bucket, she will be fine

its when you find a highly dried out frog that it becomes dangerous - - should you ever get in this situation again, do not fill a bucket and put the frog in - it could drown

only put about 1/2 inch of water in the bucket - low enough for them to lay on the bottom and still breathe - -when dried out they do not have much muscle control and cannot swim to the surface to breathe. Any water deeper than their body when they are laying on their stomach is deadly. Use your fingers to keep the back moist by dripping water onto the frog for the first few hours until you see signs of movement - then it is over the next few DAYS that you would slowly begin raising the water level as you see the frog beginning to swim around. Do not feed at all during this period, in their dehydrated state it would kill them.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Im guna try and sort the the hole out then i dont have any more repeats! Thanks for the advice Jen! Il make sure to do that if it ever happens again and the frogs in a bad state ..... fingers crossed this will just be a one off!

Thread Information