Thread: HELP! New here with a Woodhouse Toad

JAWOOD

Unhappy HELP! New here with a Woodhouse Toad

Hi, I'm new but I'm looking for help - my Woodhouse Toad has eaten some peat moss!! His/her belly is absolutely full with it... how do I know? well, last night I caught him eating some and I was able to (very gently) remove it.. this morning, I found him with more hanging out of his mouth, just as he was swallowing it. I picked him up and can feel a huge lump of it in his belly..

I've had him for nearly a year now and he's never done this before that I know of...

Kurt

Default Re: HELP! New here with a Woodhouse Toad

Welcome aboard. If he has indeed ate moss, I would get him to the vet ASAP to get it removed, before it causes an impaction, which can lead to death.

JAWOOD

Talking Re: HELP! New here with a Woodhouse Toad

Thank you Kurt for responding....amazingly enough (thank goodness) after more than 24 hours, my toad regurgitated the peat moss.....WHEW! He seems to be doing well - like nothing ever happened...

I have removed the peat moss from his house, replacing it with soil... he and my other toadlet seem very happy with the change and both burrowed right in!

Greg M

I'm glad it worked out ok! I have Woodhouse's toads too, and I just love them! I have four, all with quite distinct habbits and personalities. Right now, they have all apparently decided that winter is over, and are up and eating. My young female is having a major growth spurt and has eaten over 50 Dubia (mid-size) in the last week alone! For her size, she puts my horned frogs to shame in the eating department!

I've noticed that a little supplemental heat at one side of the cage seems to increase their activity and eating levels. As it happens, my younglings cage is right beside two heated tanks with horned frogs, and the toads love to hang out on the side of the tank that abuts the heated tanks. As an aside, I think my young male toad has "feelings" for one of the horned frogs - he "sings" to the big oaf. The other thing I've noticed is that (preformed) vitamin A is important - these guys are prone to feeding issues (the so-called "short-tongue syndrome") if not appropriately supplemented with vitamin A. There is some evidence that toads need preformed vitamin A (retinol) because they cannot convert beta carotene to retinol - so look for supplements such as Repashy Calcium plus ICB, which contain some retinol...

ARMS87

welcome

Thread Information