Thread: Clay backgrounds

bshmerlie

Default Clay backgrounds

I did a clay background for a 20 gal tank im working on but I just don't like the gray muddy look. I packed coco fiber on clay before but then it ends up looking like a GS background. Has anybody tried anything else? Or maybe just growing a live moss on it but how long would that take? What would be the best kind of moss to grow on the clay? Any other funky options out there? The clay already has 25% coco fiber mixed in it but still very gray.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Clay backgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I did a clay background for a 20 gal tank im working on but I just don't like the gray muddy look. I packed coco fiber on clay before but then it ends up looking like a GS background. Has anybody tried anything else? Or maybe just growing a live moss on it but how long would that take? What would be the best kind of moss to grow on the clay? Any other funky options out there? The clay already has 25% coco fiber mixed in it but still very gray.
    Cheri, on my thread http://www.frogforum.net/search.php?searchid=71067, Brett suggested redart clay to be added to give it another color. I have bought terracotta clay to get away from the gray. Also, he suggests to mix moss on a 3/4 clay and 1/4 organic ratio. Someone else suggested to add shredded oak leaves, he swears it makes a difference.

I'm now hesitant to use clay. I will try it out, and if it doesn't work out to my liking, I will take it down and foam/silicone its buttocks.

poison beauties

Its all in what you use in it, Im going to show a few options for it in my build. I tend to chop up like sphagnum moss and use in it as well so I have like moss sprouting out of my clay. When I have an abundance of riccia I do the same with it. Also consider concrete dust, grout and sand in a clay mix for texture and color.

Michael

bshmerlie

Thanks a lot for the input guys. Right now im going to do a study on mosses. Im going to get 5-6 different kinds and put them on the sides, on the ground and on the wood to see how they grow and spread over time. I wont put any other plants in it so it all receives ample light. Ill make a thread on my study and post pictures every couple of weeks so everyone can see the progress.

clownonfire

Thanks a lot for the input guys. Right now im going to do a study on mosses. Im going to get 5-6 different kinds and put them on the sides, on the ground and on the wood to see how they grow and spread over time. I wont put any other plants in it so it all receives ample light. Ill make a thread on my study and post pictures every couple of weeks so everyone can see the progress.
    Thank you Cheri. I am extremely interested in your results. Could you let us know play by play (which moss you've used and how did you attach it?), etc? Good luck.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

This will be extremely useful info and I'll surely benefit from it. Thanks Cheri

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Thank you Cheri. I am extremely interested in your results. Could you let us know play by play (which moss you've used and how did you attach it?), etc? Good luck.
    Im going to order all the mosses available from Joshs frogs and Black Jungle unless anyone has a better place in mind for a good selection. I will space them out on the clay wall and label them. I've also been thinking that I will make a shaded area over each piece to see what it does without the direct light (probably die we'll see). I wonder if a vendor would be willing to sell me a sample pack of all the mosses available?

clownonfire

Cheri, I'm sure you could get some free samples. Tell them you are a moderator for Frog Forum and that you will document different process of growing moss, and that you will let the readers know where you got the moss from. This is something that I have done in the past (I work in Marketing, so I don't have a problem when it comes to selling an idea). It would be a win win situation.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Cheri, I'm sure you could get some free samples. Tell them you are a moderator for Frog Forum and that you will document different process of growing moss, and that you will let the readers know where you got the moss from. This is something that I have done in the past (I work in Marketing, so I don't have a problem when it comes to selling an idea). It would be a win win situation.
    Yeah maybe some of our sponsors would be willing to donate some samples to this study. I don't need huge pieces because I want to give it room to spread if its going to. Basically just enough to have a sample on a wall (vertical clay) and on the floor (horizontal soil). And little chunks to put on wood. Thanks for the idea Eric... I'll give it a try.

bshmerlie

Here's a question for all those who work with clay a lot. When you touch the clay it leaves a residue on your finger. Wouldn't that residue get all over the frogs feet and belly as they climb the wall? I've covered it in coco fiber before to prevent that problem but then your back to the GS look. Do you guys worry about that residue on the frogs or not? When im working with it ...its a mess all over my hands. I can't imagine being a frog and never being able to wash it off.

bowskill

I mixed 1 part clay to 1.5 parts peat moss the clay ends up a dark brown colour and it was difficult to mix but anything will grow in it including mosses. Even bromeliads can just be stuck into it to grow.

Thread Information